View Poll Results: Should HP rename webOS?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 8.55%
  • No

139 91.45%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    how about naming it "palm os" like back in the day when Palm had it's own OS before selling it to Access and then renaming it frankengarnet. WebOS is the rightful heir to that monicker imo and it would be kinda sentimental to keep the palm brand going... Eh but webos is nice too...
    They should rename it to:

HPOS
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    how bought we-bOS!
    Meh. webOS sounds better than anything I've read in here.

Before the author of this thread should ask me, I feel webOS advertises the OS as a web-ready OS that is capable of connecting people to "the now" by means of the web. I believe the phone's UI is meant to simplify the means to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ espeed View Post
    Meh. webOS sounds better than anything I've read in here.

Before the author of this thread should ask me, I feel webOS advertises the OS as a web-ready OS that is capable of connecting people to "the now" by means of the web. I believe the phone's UI is meant to simplify the means to do so.
    I disagree Who Wouldn't want there phone to be called "H P.O.S." hahahaha
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    at least they should remain it in the Spanish speaking market, just like SFHandyman said, webOS sounds like "huevos" (eggs), which is a slang for, well, you know what.
    I read that in a post by you Alvaro_qc.
    I think the problem w/ the name is that 'web' can't be assosiated with a single entity. Windows, android, iOS, Blackberry... It's clear what those products stand for. But when you hear 'webOS' it doesn't seem to stand for anything distict. At this point I wouldn't change the name, but HP has to find a way to make 'web' mean something special to consumers, and that's gonna be hard. Saying 'our system is based on web standards' means nothing to consumers....

I think they should somehow include spiders in their marketing. They need to play on the word web, the way android has be having fun w/ robots in their adds.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I think the problem w/ the name is that 'web' can't be assosiated with a single entity. Windows, android, iOS, Blackberry... It's clear what those products stand for. But when you hear 'webOS' it doesn't seem to stand for anything distict. At this point I wouldn't change the name, but HP has to find a way to make 'web' mean something special to consumers, and that's gonna be hard. Saying 'our system is based on web standards' means nothing to consumers.....
    +1
  9. OrR
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    at least they should remain it in the Spanish speaking market, just like SFHandyman said, webOS sounds like "huevos" (eggs), which is a slang for, well, you know what.
    webOS got balls?
    Quote Originally Posted by gobanjoboy View Post
    So now that the deal is done between HP and Palm, HP can pretty much do whatever they like. I am curious how the community would feel about HP changing webOS's name to something that would ring better with people.

IMO, I love what webOS stands for, but I think "web" of webOS brings a bad stigma along with it. First, in the minds of misinformed developers, web means you can't do native programming. Second, in the minds of everyday people, web means internet. It's all about the apps these days. People are thinking about a internet page, when the hear web not a cool apps. I think webOS has a very big mind share problem. Something needs to be done. This is just one idea.

I am not very creative, but some name ideas :

hpOS
    OSnext
    OSnex
    Brands are only as damaged as you allow them to be. Just keep the webOS name. Look at Ford and Taurus.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by gobanjoboy View Post
    So now that the deal is done between HP and Palm, HP can pretty much do whatever they like. I am curious how the community would feel about HP changing webOS's name to something that would ring better with people.

IMO, I love what webOS stands for, but I think "web" of webOS brings a bad stigma along with it. First, in the minds of misinformed developers, web means you can't do native programming. Second, in the minds of everyday people, web means internet. It's all about the apps these days. People are thinking about a internet page, when the hear web not a cool apps. I think webOS has a very big mind share problem. Something needs to be done. This is just one idea.

I am not very creative, but some name ideas :

hpOS
    OSnext
    OSnex
    With all due respect, I think this is an idiotic idea. The "Web" in WebOS does not carry any stigma, except maybe in your world. People like open operating systems, which is what the "Web" actually implies. I think you're the only person who thinks "web page" when you hear WebOS. I'm not trying to be offensive, but for real dude.....
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    With all due respect, I think this is an idiotic idea. The "Web" in WebOS does not carry any stigma, except maybe in your world. People like open operating systems, which is what the "Web" actually implies. I think you're the only person who thinks "web page" when you hear WebOS. I'm not trying to be offensive, but for real dude.....
    pre-fan,

You are welcome to your opinion. I don't think I am off base in thinking that the majority of people are not tech savvy. Most people do not know what makes webOS tick and why it's a great platform. Therefore, the name has no meaning to them other than terms they might already know... web. Lots of everyday people don't even know what OS stands for... mostly older generations.

I do not think "web" is webOS stands for "web page". There are lots of mobile app developers that know nothing about webOS, have not started developing for webOS because of what webOS's SDK offered in the beginning.

You may be tech savvy, but try to keep in mind that you and your circle of friends are not the like majority of people.
    I think you're wrong. The average consumer is probably gonna relate the term 'web' to 'web surfing' because that's the only way they ever use it. The term WebOS probably appeals more to designers and the tech-savy because we're exposed enough to know that the name references the technology employed. But the average consumer buys things simply because they see an 'i' or a green robot on the box, and associate those things w/ a qualty product. Nothing about the word 'webOS' or the brand surrounding it screams 'buy me'

also the average consumer doesnt know (or care to know) the difference between an open/close operating system... Or even what an OS is. So to say web implies openness is a least a moot point and at most a stretch.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 07/27/2010 at 01:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    While I agree the name "WebOS" is misleading as it sounds like its 100% cloud based when its not, its to late for them to go changing the name without confusing the public/developers.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSmJ View Post
    While I agree the name "WebOS" is misleading as it sounds like its 100% cloud based when its not, its to late for them to go changing the name without confusing the public/developers.
    I think the webOS name is pretty much unknown to the public so I don't think they would be confused. Developers... maybe..
    "I cant believe it's not Apple OS"

Personally I think iOS is an awful name.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    "I cant believe it's not Apple OS"

Personally I think iOS is an awful name.
    100% agreed! I really think the folks in this thread are over-estimating the intelligence of cell-phone shoppers and the level of consideration they're going to give to the name of a cell-phone operating system. Geez, people, bored much?
  18.    #38  
    100% agreed! I really think the folks in this thread are over-estimating the intelligence of cell-phone shoppers and the level of consideration they're going to give to the name of a cell-phone operating system. Geez, people, bored much?
    I think your correct to an extent. In the case of the Iphone, no one cares that the OS is called iOS because they know the famed name of iPhone. The OS name Android has gain a lot of mind share, but it applies to many phones. webOS is the same way. It's on more than one phone... as you know. IMO, it helps to have a single reference for people to grasp onto, otherwise a product will just be a different name of fish in the big sea.
    Ok, so again --- how many people will actually consider what WebOS means? My gut (and completely unscientific) feeling is that 99% won't.

Think about it this way: would you care if Android was called <deleted> if it was an epic mobile OS? Same for iOS? Names just don't matter.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/28/2010 at 03:08 AM. Reason: posting around language filter
  20.    #40  
    Think about it this way: would you care if Android was called Apesh*t if it was an epic mobile OS? Same for iOS? Names just don't matter.
    I see your point. Going off of what your saying, it comes down to Marketing. If you do not choose a name that intrigues the ever day person, you would need great marketing. So far I think we don't have a name that intrigues the ever day person and well.. we all know what webOS marketing has been like since it launched.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast