1.    #1  
    Don't get me wrong or flame me, I love my pre. But I've seen sooo many threads/posts referring to patches for things palm(now hp) should have fixed/corrected by now. I'm running stock sprint pre, no o/c,patches,hbrew. Many users have addressed valid issues/concerns and have been answered with, there's a patch for that. Sounds equiv to "theres an app for that" on another platform (i hate btw). There are probably many of us that would love to gain the functions a patch &/or oc would provide but don't have the means to do so. Can't palm now under hp provide update software based on homebrew offer these opts in an updated release? I hope they monitor these forums,they should! So so many intelligent people here. Bravo to all!
    Think of patches more as a customization. Sort of like going to a dealership, getting a car, then getting an add on package. The car is going to be good for anyone looking to get from point A to point B, but the package will give an experience that is meant for some and not for others.

The average user is going to be completely fine with the normal Pre. I, for one, was satisfied with the experience on my Pre+. However, being a nerd, I decided to go the extra step and play with the phone to see what it could do. 83 or so apps, patches, etc. (according to Preware) and my phone is a customized gadget for me and for me alone.

With how HP has commented on the Homebrew scene, I'm sure they are watching. And if they find that people use a certain patch with frequency and that it's got a loyal following, they'll add it if it doesn't interfere with the average user. For example, would you really want a vapid young woman playing with her compcache and then having to answer the questions on why her phone suddenly is having problems?
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
    Com'on, take a walk on the wild side

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    Quote Originally Posted by garos09 View Post
    Don't get me wrong or flame me, I love my pre. But I've seen sooo many threads/posts referring to patches for things palm(now hp) should have fixed/corrected by now. I'm running stock sprint pre, no o/c,patches,hbrew. Many users have addressed valid issues/concerns and have been answered with, there's a patch for that. Sounds equiv to "theres an app for that" on another platform (i hate btw). There are probably many of us that would love to gain the functions a patch &/or oc would provide but don't have the means to do so. Can't palm now under hp provide update software based on homebrew offer these opts in an updated release? I hope they monitor these forums,they should! So so many intelligent people here. Bravo to all!
    Seriously, whilst it requires a little effort to install, Preware is effortless to use once installed and provides you with the ease of customisation that you seek. Palm haven't had the time or resources so far, so the webOS Internals team with Preware and Jason Robitaille with webOS Quick Install and Internalz have stepped up.

Come on in the water's fine.
    Android has Widgets for customization.....we have patches!
    Companies by nature are much much slower than homebrewers because they have to have everything seamless the best example is looking at Android custom ROMs they can run the latest update but they break features which is unacceptable for companies so they need to spend a very long tie making sure everything is perfect for the device before even consiering pushing out an update or they will just need to make another update to fix what the last one broke
    Not everything is going to ever be possible through updates. There is always going to be some sort of homebrew, patching, customization, so there will likely always be "There's a patch for that." Even if we get to a webOS 3.0 etc...(don't read into that )
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    There is no way all the patches in Preware will see their way into the OS. Too many options = too much confusion for the end user. It's a constant balancing act keeping the OS feature rich yet easy to use for the end user.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    It bugs me when folks compare rooting an Android device, or jailbreaking an iPhone, to patching on the Pre. I've seen it in several articles and heard it on Podcasts.

Patching through Preware is welcomed, really almost encouraged, by Palm.

It is soo simple also. Install Preware through the usb, and you are done with the hard part.

Almost everything else that you'd need is available in the Preware app. The patches even autoupdate now. Easy as the apps in the app store.
    Does Rooting and Jailbreaking void warranty?

Does patching void warranty?
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Does Rooting and Jailbreaking void warranty?

Does patching void warranty?
    Patching your pre does not void warranty.
    Does Jailbreaking or Rooting?
    come to the dark side. We have cookies!
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Does Jailbreaking or Rooting?
    yes definitely. Jailbreaking your iphone is no bueno haha. With every update they have they block the attempts made to jailbreak. If Jobs doesn't want 3rd party apps like flash he definitely doesn't want the end user messing around with "his" baby.
  15. OrR
    It shouldn't void warranty on any hardware issues as it doesn't do anything bad to the hardware. That probably depends on your country's legal and judicial system as well, though...
    I too was more than satisfied with my pre plus as is, kept reading about patches and homebrews in the forums and got curious. figured all these people can't be wrong and took a leap of faith(downloaded webquickinstall) then preware and downloaded my first patch. suddenly the clouds parted and the heavens opened up and i was hooked. 25 patches and 30 apps later i took another leap and installed uberkernal. no regrets. i sometimes use my wifes virgin pre plus and get frustrated at how primative it is (smile).
    Anyway, everyday is a great and new experience for me and this phone. lately been playing around with themes another story altogether and will never go back to stock willingly.