Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    828 Global Posts
    Tim Stiffler-Dean aka Anotherguy's latest blog entry is a great editorial on the current state of the webOS community. It hits the nail on the head IMO.

Tim, for those who might know him is a huge proponent for Palm & webOS; He is a contributing writer on webOSroundup | webOS app reviews, palm pre & pixi apps (Also a person I consider a friend)

What's your thoughts guys?

What the webOS Community Needs (Hint: It’s Not What We’ve Been Doing) | AnotherGuy's Weblog

Every day I hear these same words from key figures in the Palm webOS community (not employees- fans), “When is HP/Palm going to announce new hardware! I need new hardware now before I decide to switch!” To which I have taken to saying, “Will you please shut-up?”

You might say that my reaction isn’t very nice, and you would, in fact, be correct. But I can’t really be too sorry about it, because it’s exactly how I feel. People who are leaders in the webOS community, who are more than just your average power user, are creating an atmosphere that is not conducive for strong community growth. In my opinion, people who plant seeds into a community that cause disorder and dissent need to either change their attitude or leave – because it is only going to cause bad things to happen.

Before anyone gets too defensive, let me explain why I feel this way about those types of statements. It’s not about having a desire to see a new device announced (we all want that), and it’s not about only saying good things about Palm and webOS (every company should be held accountable for their flaws). Here’s a list to show you what this IS about:

What Everyone Wants:

It’s about seeing a new device released
    It’s about seeing new features added to webOS
    It’s about enhancing the mobile web as a whole with standards that webOS thrives on
    It’s about creating a larger community that can make anything possible in the tech industry
    Everyone in our awesome webOS community wants to see these things happen. However, for any of those things to happen, we need this list to be fulfilled:

What webOS Needs:

We need more consumers to buy devices.
    We need more developers to create applications.
    We need more investors to see the potential in the OS
    We need more journalist (and bloggers) to share news about it
    If any of those four things begins to succeed, then the other three will as well. If none of them do, though, then webOS will just stagnate and HP will once again fail in its pursuit of mobile device market dominance. How can HP hope to win in this game, though, when the people who have been converting people to webOS over the past year are now creating an atmosphere that is hostile towards the company and less-friendly to newcomers?

If you walk into a crowd and everyone is complaining about the person who is about to present, you may decide to walk out or tune-out the presentation. Here’s my final list to demonstrate the effects of that continually repeated phrase:

What Is Going Wrong?

Consumers aren’t buying because everyone keeps saying that a new device is coming soon. If they wait too long, then they end up just going with a different phone (like Android).
    Developers aren’t building applications because people currently in it keep complaining about the lack of consumers and the lack of financial income (which is mostly their fault, actually, cause many of them are marketing to each other rather than to the consumers – but that’s another blog post).
    Investors don’t see any potential because no one is saying anything positive about what is to come, only that it hasn’t come yet (and now there are rumors that it won’t be coming at all, so why should they take it seriously?)
    Journalist and bloggers aren’t writing about it because it’s not popular for people to read. AND because the people in the community aren’t writing anything unique about webOS (it’s all the same circulated stuff that everyone else has already read or wrote about elsewhere).
    Yes, it is up to HP and Palm to release a new device. In the meantime, it is up to us to spread the word about the great things in webOS that make it better than the competition. The more we spend time complaining about not having any news from HP, the less time we spend creating cool wallpapers and apps exclusively for the Pre or getting into development or even just writing about cool people in the community.

So yea… shut-up. We’ve got better things to do, and you’re just getting annoying. When you cry louder and more often you don’t make Palm hear you any better, you can’t force them to release a product that they don’t believe is ready. All that you do is create a bad environment for new people to get into.

We Need More of This:

We need more videos like these to start getting attention from consumers (not current Palm fans). The only way to do that is to get out into the community and talk to other people about the good things that are happening, not sit here and complain about the bad.

~Anotherguy.
    Last edited by mrkalel; 07/25/2010 at 07:28 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    +1,000

Well said!
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    I agree about people clamoring for new hardware and apps. It's a bit annoying, but a necessary evil. HP's not dumb, they realize the market and that the Pre is showing it's age. I could see the complaining if we were still stuck with the same device for another 6 months and no sign of new hardware. If we don't complain about the problem then we'd probably end up in the same boat as Nokia is right now with Symbian and the E series phones.

However, when new hardware is announced or leaked, it's a great thing to talk positively about it. Not what it's lacking, but what it has. Same goes for webOS. I don't complain about lack of flash, instead I'm thrilled about other features on the phone. People that get to use my phone agree that it's rather impressive and I share details about it as well.

In short, catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Also, great post!
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
    I concur, this coming Tuesday. it will have only been 3 weeks since the HP's purchase of Palm was finalized and yet people are frothing a mouth continuing to post the same broken record threads. I say, cut HP/Palm a little slack and give them a chance to get things right, I would rather wait a little while longer and have the next hardware throughly tested and running up to speed with state of the art components.
    Stop complaining?
    That's where you're wrong!
    Don't you know HP/Palm gets nervous every time someone posts; 'I'm leaving if HP/Palm doesn't [insert want] soon' ?
    Global Posts
    828 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Stop complaining?
    Don't you know HP/Palm gets nervous every time someone posts; 'I'm leaving if HP/Palm doesn't [insert want] soon' ?
    Hahaha
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    who are these "key people"?
    I for one just rather see people learn to read and stop asking questions like " I'm too lazy to figure this out so I'm going asking where the testing feeds are"
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Stop complaining?
    ha! nice
    Well, I prefer "lazy questions" to the constant creation of new threads declaring an ultimatim to Palm if they don't (whatever)... It seems that there are so many that have a high opinion of their opinion and believe the rest of us come here to find out what it is... arghh!

and as the "tazmorator" says, Palm goes into a fearful defcon-4 alert status every time someone posts that sort of nonsense...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Thanks for this post. It's a good reminder to keep things positive. Yes, there are plenty of things we'd all like to see, but let's be thankful for what we've got too. WebOS is wonderful and I love my Pre+. Am I excited to see what's next for both hardware and software, absolutely but what I've got right now is still pretty impressive.
    Finally!!!

Unlike many here, I am NOT a tech geek, found this site last yr and enjoy the cutting edge information about webOS and other devices. The things mentioned above have prevented me from directing the 4 poeple I moved to buy a Palm device b/c of all the constant complaints, doom/gloom outlook, etc.

I can understand this to an extent prior to HP, but to turn up the number of complaints, I am jumping ship, etc is a head-bangger for me and I am sure very deflating/depressing for new comers.

I wonder at times if many of the folks who post these daily rants have ANY sense of the real world as it relates to the process, changes, etc that takes place after an acquisition. We will most likely get all that we want and more, but the delay after the buyout is MUCH better, and totally beats what was looking to be the END of Palm/webOS, so relax, give them time and enjoy the ride.

Onward to the next generation of webOS devices!
    I agree completely.
    Every time i see a "im switching phones' or 'i hate my pre' or 'im sick of waiting' thread i immediately label it as "Useless Troll" in my head and ignore it.

I also make a mental note of the author of the thread and remember to never take anything they ever post on this website seriously.
    I left another well know Palm information site because it turned into a steady stream of Palm bashing. Of course being a raging cheerleader is equally annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by newman314 View Post
    who are these "key people"?
    I was wondering the same thing...
    not me, I'm just a raving cheerleader
    I agree with everything you have posted here. Well said.
    Is it possible to get all of the complainer posts instantly redirected (as soon as they are posted) to a "Whiner's Forum"?

Oh no! Someone will cry "Censorship!" Not really - it's just putting them in a more appropriate heading for those who really don't have as much understanding as they claim.

I agree with the Original Poster - negativity interferes with productivity. A few uninformed negative people can destroy something by criticizing something they really don't know about. (See Tampa Bay Bucs/Tony Dungy - they fired him, won a Superbowl with the team he created, and then fell apart again.)

Palm community, I don't pretend that my Pre is perfect. But it's a whole lot better (and has more potential) than anything else I see out there - Android included. Sure, I think Android is interesting, but Palm has created something elegant and deserves more nurture than negativity. So if you want Palm to succeed, you have the power.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDoo1965 View Post
    I left another well know Palm information site because it turned into a steady stream of Palm bashing. Of course being a raging cheerleader is equally annoying.
    I left that site, too. the thing I enjoy about PreCentral is that people here are willing (even eager) to jump in with both feet and do homebrew and patches, etc., rather than just list all the ways in which they perceive that Palm sucks, or post links to other phones they've ordered and are having shipped to their homes.

If someone wants to speak their mind, that's great, but *** are you doing on a Palm fan site if you're just going to bash? If there's nothing that you like about the phone, why waste yours and everyone else's time?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast