1.    #1  
    on Macbreak 204 there's and interesting disscussion on Webos.

90min in.. John gruber says: Webos is the only OS he believe can compete with ios (esp tablets)

93 mins leo says
    android is windows
    iphone is macos
    weobos is boss

1000 webos apps leo? Pluuease.
    good show from 90mins, take a listen in.
    http://twit.tv/mbw204
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC;

90min in.. John gruber says: Webos is the only OS he believe can compete with ios (esp tablets)

93 mins leo says
    android is windows
    iphone is macos
    weobos is boss

The TWiT Netcast Network with Leo Laporte
    Amazing ..... I guess Andy Inatko must not have been on that episode. He's always had a hate-hard-on for Palm. Also very contradictory towards Android vs. WebOS.
  3. OrR
    Windows is still the winning PC OS, though...
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post

93 mins leo says
    android is windows
    iphone is macos
    weobos is boss

The TWiT Netcast Network with Leo Laporte
    I remember that episode. It was only a week ago, I think. Good discussion.
    By the way, it's not "boss," it's actually called "BeOS." The company behind it, Be Inc., is now dead and the OS is no longer in development. In fact, Be Inc. was bought out by in 2001 by a little Sunnyvale, CA company called Palm. Yes, Palm owns Be Inc. and BeOS. They dismantled Be Inc. when they bought it though, and BeOS has been officially dead for years. Jean-Louis Gassée, the man who founded Be Inc., served on the board of Palm for a while. There is a community making a BeOS successor from scratch and they are doing a fantastic job, but that's a discussion for another day.
    Now, that being said, I think the whole notion of comparing the current smartphone OS wars to the OS wars of the 80s and 90s is kind of a red herring. It's a very different world. Just because Apple was a major player the OS wars doesn't and they are also a major player in the smartphone wars doesn't mean the 2 wars are alike.
    As a last point, John Gruber is a very smart guy- I'm a big fan of Daring Fireball. He's very open minded about webOS, and I wish that he'd mention it more. But when he does mention webOS, he's informed and enthusiastic about it.

Addendum:
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Amazing ..... I guess Andy Inatko must not have been on that episode. He's always had a hate-hard-on for Palm. Also very contradictory towards Android vs. WebOS.
    Andy was on that episode, actually. He said webOS would be great on a tablet/slate and thinks HP will do well with it. He said it could really compete with an iPad. The only negative thing he said about Palm in the episode was that the Pre's hardware was terrible. And I'd have to agree with him there. My Pre has the best OS a smartphone can get, but it's got a small screen, underpowered processor (but we've got overclocking of course), underpowered battery, fragile and weak plastic screen... I'm the kind of person who is willing to use crapppy hardware if I can use a wonderful OS. It's worth it for me- I love webOS too much
    Last edited by Seb_or_Sam; 07/25/2010 at 02:45 PM.
  5.    #5  
    thanks for they info guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb_or_Sam View Post

Addendum:

Andy was on that episode, actually. He said webOS would be great on a tablet/slate and thinks HP will do well with it. He said it could really compete with an iPad. The only negative thing he said about Palm in the episode was that the Pre's hardware was terrible. And I'd have to agree with him there. My Pre has the best OS a smartphone can get, but it's got a small screen, underpowered processor (but we've got overclocking of course), underpowered battery, fragile and weak plastic screen... I'm the kind of person who is willing to use crapppy hardware if I can use a wonderful OS. It's worth it for me- I love webOS too much
    That's interesting to hear his comments about webOS. Inatko was the sole reason I stopped subscribing to MBW on Dr Podder, of course. Inatko's formal review (and subsequent comments on MBW) about webOS for the Chi Sun Times described webOS as inconsistent and un-intuitive and down-right hated it. What he described as his points for being unintuitive seem to indicate he didn't know webOS and only spent 2 minutes total before reviewing it. However, when he reviewed the Droid his comments were exactly opposite and went on and on about Android being the second-best intuitive OS to the iPhone....really?? I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Although I'm glad he's on-board with webOS now, it makes me think he's just following someone well respected like Gruber, and not making his own observations.
    Ditto! Thanks for the good info.