Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    People are moving because they follow the trend. Oh my friends got a Droid, it looks cool so I'll get it. They've never used webOS, and none of their friends have it, so they don't get it. Which is where HP's marketing will come in and prove webOS is superior.
    How is HP's offering superior? They don't have the best (or even up-to-date) hardware. They don't have the best applications on their platform. They don't have the best features. They don't have the best connectivity. People are moving away to other platforms because other platforms do more and they do them more elegantly.
    I don't know. I've set up several email accounts in webOS and it takes seconds. Setting up my son's email account on his Evo was less than elegant. Not to mention the problems with EAS on some Android devices. WebOS just seems to handle EAS, POP, IMAP without issue. Would I love to be able to have more customization in when email is retrieved? You bet. I'd love to set my Exchange email to only get mail from 7am to 6pm weekdays. But I'm content and am looking forward to the next offering from Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    Is it just me or does it seem like more and more Pre/WebOS users are getting less and less willing to wait for updates/hardware/announcements...
    What do you expect?
    USA has a choice between an HTC EVO, Incredible, Nexus One/Rebrand, Samsung S, iPhone 4, Droid X.....
    And if they wait a month or two, add the Droid 2 and a couple other high profile phones.
    I don't like to admit it, but Google is moving fast...maybe faster than HP/Palm can keep up and to be honest....if I felt I could get more features on more advance hardware and only sacrifice a little bit of ease of use.....why not?

With the way Google is moving that little bit I sacrifice in moving from the WebOS is likely to be minimized as Google gives me free OS updates.
    yup i know the feeling. im thinking about getting an iphone 4, jail break it, and install the app that can do the webos card interface.
    The epic can't come soon enough.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I believe Hp and Palm are stockpiling as many features as possible so the next phone/device is just loaded with everything that you can imagine and they don't want to slip up on leaks and announcements because they are still working on the pile.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Quote Originally Posted by Joescan09 View Post
    I believe Hp and Palm are stockpiling as many features as possible so the next phone/device is just loaded with everything that you can imagine and they don't want to slip up on leaks and announcements because they are still working on the pile.
    I could not agree more! I believe HP is smart enough and has enough money to make the next device amazing and I fully believe that is what they plan to do. I also feel we are all simply testers for WebOS and we are in some ways helping them work out all the kinks that their pre-release testing left behind. They note and fix those kinks and the next phone is that far ahead of the game vs where the Pre was a year ago. As for losing faith yes many have but I am not one of those people. Sure Im tempted when new devices come out. But I really love WebOS and the cards feature alone keeps me here. I love being able to have several things open and switch between them easily. After a year Im no where near ready to jump ship. I just got a new (referb) replacement for my original Pre and its working amazingly. Far better than my original ever did. Waiting for news/updates does suck but Im not going anywhere until this Pre craps out or until the next Palm device lands in my lap.

Melissa
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I've been a Pre User since Last July.

It's epic for me, unless the live reviews stink

For me the issue is lack of big name apps. It's got some, but many are missing (i.e. Rhapsody)

The other big issue is the tiny screen. It's shrimpy compared to 4" and 4.3" screens. Its so hard to really read a web page on the Pre.

The autocorrect is very weak (they easily could have fixed that with software)

Lots of bluetooth problems with various cars. First they fix, then they go back and break while fixing somebody elses. The car manufacturers don't care because there are so few Pre's in the market.

Obvious that Sprint has a tremendous stockpile of unsold pre's as 6 months after release, no word of a Pre Plus for sprint...

The auto addressing in email is weak, and in general, email is clumsy sluggish and slow compared to iphone. only email advantage is the favorites folder option.

The Epic looks to me to be the Pre killer if your contract is up on Sprint. The only thing I think I'll missing is the gesture area (which eats up alot of potential screen real estate) and the card metaphor for App switching.

The Pre's so bloated OS and underpowered hardware, makes alot of multitasking useless as it gets so slow anyway.
    Mark F Chinsky
    Quote Originally Posted by Joescan09 View Post
    I would love to believe that but then I thought the same of Palm before it tanked. Realistically, HP has shown no ACTUAL proof of anything that would precede a market blitz of new hardware in conjunction with some new awesome/competitive hardware.

Think about this....
    there have been absolutely no leaks on any new hardware!!!!
    - Not in FCC postings,
    - not in store inventories,
    - not in carrier inventories or even announcements,
    - not in any market plans or marketing schedules,
    - not from any suppliers or phone manufacturers or circuit board manufactures or processor/gpu mfg'ers...

If there was any massive hardware updates, someone would know somewhere. To date, we have some vague info (from HP Mngment) that tells us new hardware is in the works along with a version 2.0 of the WebOS.

The only released info on the software side is that the underlying infrastructure will include a few things that they left out initially, as well as some underlying speed improvements.

At the end of the day, rumors and wishful thinking count for little. As a Pre user, I'm very thoughtful on how my webos functions, but with each passing day, I'm watching Android crush everyone, feature for feature, then they toss in uber hardware.....the ONLY thing missing is an OS as smooth and intuitive as the WebOS is. At least until Android V 2.5/3.0 hits the market in a few months with a more advanced UI. On that day, I'm gone unless HP has something that can compete 100%. Not 25% with a great UI. Not 50%, but 100%.

Competition for smartphones means:
    - Models with 4"+ screens at 800x480 or higher res. Preferable ~1200 x ~700 res to match the android phones due out at the end of the year.
    - Voice capabilities,
    - fast UI (not because of a processor upgrade),
    - a faster CPU & GPU, larger battery/better life
    - more memory
    - a model with a horizontal keyboard, one with a vertical keyboard, one with no keyboard, one with a keyboard/screen (Pixi)
    - SD cards
    - front facing camera's
    - higher resolution rear camera's with Autofocus, anti-vibration, color change and software editing built into the phone...Apps need not apply.
    - digital compass, higher resolution tilt (6 way or better)
    - multiple fixes to the calendar and more advanced contact handling/scheduling
    - document handling/editing

Wow....looking back at what I expect... holy cow!!! I just nail gunned the Palm Pre coffin closed and have the trigger on the last nail. I'll be holding off till I see the next gen updates to the Android....if HP can compete with that on everyone one of the above, I stay with Palm/HP...if not....
    bye bye Pre...how I enjoyed thee....
    -----
    Integrating two companies takes time. Palm was basically out of cash when the HP deal closed.

There's going to be a lag time before good stuff comes out, but I have no doubt things will pick back up when Palm can tap into HP's bank accounts for funding.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12