Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    My power button is stuck and I've tried some of the fixes suggested in the forums with no luck.

I am going to take it into sprint store to get it fixed under warranty/insurance.

Should I remove my homebrew software, preware, patches, etc before I take it to them?
    it's a chance you take. I was told by a vz rep if I brought the phone in and saw anything like that on it he couldn't help me. Funny thing is that he is the one that lead me to this forum. For a power button I don't know why they would go through your programs anyhow, and it is a hardware issue so........... Up to you .
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I went to a local store, Sprint.
    they said that I had it in developer mode, and had voided the warranty, but that the would work on it as a courtesy.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I'll probably just remove it so at the very least it saves an argument and speeds the process up.
    Quote Originally Posted by jac-3 View Post
    I went to a local store, Sprint.
    they said that I had it in developer mode, and had voided the warranty, but that the would work on it as a courtesy.
    HTH is enabled developer mode (per palm's SDK instructions) voiding the warranty? Especially if, I dunno, you happen to be a developer?
    : (){:|:&};:
    I took my (sprint) pre in a few times and they never said anything one time the tec support dude came back using one of the homebrew apps ( music player remix ) when he showed me that my headphone jack was working just fine.. But I guess every1 has a different exp.

*EDIT*
    now that I think about how could it void your warrenty when it's apart of the agreement that comes with every phone
    Last edited by mindonmillions08; 07/23/2010 at 02:28 PM.
    i've taken my phone into sprint for repairs many different times with patches installed, i've even swapped my phone, patches and all, for a refurb. i don't think you should have a problem. besides, you're going in because of an issue with the power button, it's not like they're going to go through your phone to check if you have patches installed, they're simply gonna see if the power button works.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I have left Preware and various homebrews on my phone when taking it in for service. Sprint did not say anything. I have had the same power button issues you have had with no fuss during replacement
    I went to sprint and the guy saw my 4x4 icons and said he could not help me because I have voided my warranty. He was going to make a note on my account but I didn't give him my phone number so he couldn't.

Does it actually void your warranty? Of coarse not. Will some sprint jerk tell you it has and proceed to write a note on your account? Possibly.

I would get rid of obvious things like themes, preware and 4x4 icons.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    I went to sprint and the guy saw my 4x4 icons and said he could not help me because I have voided my warranty. He was going to make a note on my account but I didn't give him my phone number so he couldn't.
    Lol He Told You he was making a note on your account that you void warranty and had the nerve to ask for your phone number to do. How dumb do he sound! Glad you didn't give him your number. Did you run out the store?
    This should really be reported to Palm/HardBeatZ on these forums as feedback. Palm needs to set these kind of things straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Personally I would, and have, taken all the homebrew stuff off my phone just to avoid stupid tech's and issues like the posters here have brought up. However, i'm pretty sure the only thing that voids the warranty would be issues related to OC kernels and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWW00 View Post
    My power button is stuck and I've tried some of the fixes suggested in the forums with no luck.

I am going to take it into sprint store to get it fixed under warranty/insurance.

Should I remove my homebrew software, preware, patches, etc before I take it to them?
    Frankly, only an extremely ignorant sales person would say something that stupid. Using Preware is not like jailbreaking a phone in the iPhone world.

(other than an overclocked machine where the problem is RELATED TO the overclocking, don't think a power button issue fits that )

But any Palm user knows that SOME salespeople skew towards stupid...

C
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    removed all the patches, preware, etc before taking it in just to play it safe. they repaired the phone in about 20 minutes and when the tech came out he suggested i look into installing homebrew apps and patches on the phone. i guess i could have got by without uninstalling everything.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    irony at it best! It just figures.
    The general rule of thumb... as I remember from days gone by, is that you should always doctor your phone and reset it to factory standard before having any work done.

With all the tools that have been developed thus far, you shouldnt have much trouble recovering everything youve done to your phone once you get it fixed... just a Cover Your Own A** action.
    I went in to the Sprint store once and my phone kept shutting off, I had some homebrew apps & they said that was why I was having problems. So I walked out of the store, took off all my apps & patches, walked back in and talked to someone different. They then ran the webOS doctor and said they fixed it. I was like... Umm... Thanks?! I had already tried the same stuff over & over again to try to fix the issue and it didn't work. Finally the ball in the center of the phone kinda broke & they just gave me a refurbed pre. Lmao!