Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    According to the french blog palmpre-france.com, they have a source close to Palm that has revealed the next features coming to webOS, on late September according to the source:

* MSN integration to synergy (Chat+Sync+Contacts)
    * For the french guys, SFR TV in HD, available even in wi-fi.
    * More customization choices.
    * Skype.
    * Improved Universal Search even with possibility to look on facebook friends' status.

And also, the same source says that in mid october there will be presented the successor of the Pre will will have more memory (not mentioned if RAM or storage) and a 5 mpx camera.

Source: Exclu : Palm WebOS 2.0 fin septembre et tous les bruits de couloir chez Palm !!!
    Good.
    Don't care.
    I hope that's a lot more.
    Good.
    I've been looking forward to universal search that extends into the web-based apps and what's on those.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    <quoted deleted by mod>

This is like news...
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/23/2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: deleted rude quote
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    <quoted deleted by mod>

You don't have 1.4.5 yet? hmm <shrug>
    Not like your missing anything with 1.4.5. You could spit on your phone and you would notice more of a difference than the upgrade to 1.4.5 gives.

As for people talking about 2.0.....what do you expect? They've waited over a year to get features comparable to the old Palm OS, iPhone and Android. Still waiting....Sadly the rumored 2.0 gives every indication that it won't be a feature for feature fight with the other platforms either. Maybe v3 will be the winner. Of course by then Android will be mopping up the cell phone market with something like version 5, codename Mindreader. lol
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/23/2010 at 12:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    You don't have 1.4.5 yet? hmm <shrug>
    Not like your missing anything with 1.4.5. You could spit on your phone and you would notice more of a difference than the upgrade to 1.4.5 gives.

As for people talking about 2.0.....what do you expect? They've waited over a year to get features comparable to the old Palm OS, iPhone and Android. Still waiting....Sadly the rumored 2.0 gives every indication that it won't be a feature for feature fight with the other platforms either. Maybe v3 will be the winner. Of course by then Android will be mopping up the cell phone market with something like version 5, codename Mindreader. lol
    1.4.5 adds the capabilities for truly hybrid SDK/PDK apps, which could set a revolution on app making.
    <quote deleted by mod>

Hey, did you hear about WebOS 2.0??? Sounds really cool...
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/23/2010 at 12:47 AM.
    sounds good, even though they just rumors
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

sorry this does not sound true. Why give a source in french ?
    Here's the translation from Google Transalate:

Hello to you all!

You know the rumors? Hey works out well because on the blog Pre Palm France we have very large ears and we are able to hear a lot ...

All the information I give you here is to put in the conditional. Our source is very close to Palm.

In order of importance:

WebOS version 2.0 released in late September 2010. New version:

* MSN Messenger integrated with Synergy (cat + sync contact data)
    * SFR TV HD will be available in Wifi! awesome!
    * More customization choices
    * The universal search will be improved with the possibility for example to search for content in the articles of our facebook friends!
    * And many many other things kept secret ...

From the material point of view: Release of a new phone in mid - October, a sort of SUPER PRE,

* With more memory,
    * Upgraded to 5Mpixels camera.

Regarding SFR during the summer:

* On the online store SFR and the Palm site: 500 shells available for the purchase of a Pixi, 500 Touchstones offered for the purchase of a Pre.
    * Sponsor of the stage of World Cup snowboarding "Sooruz Lacanau Pro 2010 (from August 12 to 22) on-site demos, activities, entertainment, Palm goodies to be won ...

So, I let you digest all that.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    sorry this does not sound true. Why give a source in french ?
    How is there a relationship between language and credibility?
    I said I did not think it was true see the period at the end of that.. Then I ask a question why in french... I can't read french and I'm sure I'm not the only one..

Quote Originally Posted by coolqf View Post
    How is there a relationship between language and credibility?
    So you hate Frenchmen, eh...?

I want to hear more about the if or when a next device is coming out. I'm quite satisfied with my current OS version, I cannot see a whole lot of room for improvement.
    actually, you cannot expect webOS 2.0 to be on par with iOS4.

the next webOS-iteration does in no way profit from the money of HP. webOS 2.0 has to be nearly finished NOW and starting internal testing soon to be released in fall.

webOS 2.0 will bring us on par with iOS3.1/iPhone3GS.

But I expect the release of significant feature-updates to speed up through 2011. webOS 3.0 could then lead the way to making a leap ahaed of competition.

don't forget we are still behind others on many areas,give it some time to improve!
    what makes you so sure about webos 2.0 not being up to par being you never had a chance to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post

the next webOS-iteration does in no way profit from the money of HP. webOS 2.0 has to be nearly finished NOW and starting internal testing soon to be released in fall.

But I expect the release of significant feature-updates to speed up through 2011. webOS 3.0 could then lead the way to making a leap ahaed of competition.

don't forget we are still behind others on many areas,give it some time to improve!
    The French are, on the whole, reliable folk.
    Maybe Europe gets webOS 2.0 a month before the US, because your great carriers need to politicise the software some more (sorry Palm, but your code is gonna make the GPS work, we can't have that. Modify it so they have to use our carrier-specific POS app and we'll release your precious update).

I wouldn't care so much if I lived in a part of the world that gets all of Palm's cheap-app sales.

Also, rot: if 2.0 gets us on Par with iPhone 3.0, how are you calculating Par? I suppose iPhone 3.0 had multitasking? Unified Inboxes? What did iPhone 3.0 have that webOS didn't? Sure, webOS suffers from children's diseases big time where iPhone is mature, and in that sense you might even be right - but in terms of the actual OS, webOS 1.x is pretty feature-complete with the exception of voice and camera APIs. Sure, this does set webOS back some, but I wouldn't call it inferior to iOS3 because of a handful of missing APIs.

Where webOS really does lag behind is mindshare: nobody knows it, nobody cares for it, but Apple is in the news every day, and people do write about Android.
    I'm going out on a limb here, but expect mindshare to catch up after the huge-*** international image campaign this fall/winter.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 07/23/2010 at 04:13 AM.
    I actually see webOS on par, when there are no features missing in comparison. (that doesn't mean that we don't have certain areas where iOS is failing...).

True is, that the known webOS devices cannot completely get on par with iPhone3GS, because they are lacking some hardware-functionality. e.g. we have limited possibilities with augmented reality due to the lack of a compass and we have limited possibilities in the enterprise world due to the lack of hardware encryption. Both hardware-flaws.

But we are talking the software-side here...

and so I think, we need some more polishment and I don't expect webOS 2.0 to fully sustain all areas. I really think, that a lot of maior features not yet announced but still missing will have to wait for 2.1, 2.2, ...

and then I expect webOS 3.0 with 3rd gen hardware to possibly leap ahead of competition, depending on how innovative Palm and competition are then...
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post

Disagree, strongly. Have you ever seen a notification on the iPhone? Personally I am sick of everyone comparing any mobile OS with iOS. Android is the real competitor! iOS is complete crap, with incredible marketing. (Okay, complete crap could be an overstatement, but you get what I'm saying)
    Thank me if I helped you.
    The French sources have been primarily true since the phone was released on SFR.

The language has nothing to do with credibility.
    yes, i get what you saying.

In my opinion the main point is:

Customers in the target area (smartphone-users) like iOS. You hardly find anyone who owns one and doesn't like it. Most stick with the plattform, too.

So...to surpass the success of the No.1 smartphone, you have to satisfy these customers, which like what iOS does. You have to add the complete functionality of this plattform.
    Otherwise you will never get these customers becaus you always hear a 'webOS doesn't do xyz'.
    Therefore it doesn't matter if webOS has better notifications, multitasking, ...

The things webOS does (way) better then iOS do not count at all, before webOS does not substitute all iOS functionality.

But they do immediately start to be important, if you have them above all iOS functionality.
    Then that's what I call the leap ahaed.

btw. it's the same scheme with other OSes, nothing iOS-specific.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    1.4.5 adds the capabilities for truly hybrid SDK/PDK apps, which could set a revolution on app making.
    Sounds great on paper.
    You let me know when we have a few hundred apps to play with that are built on that tech. lol. Okay?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast