1.    #1  
    Will Palm: webOS rival to Apple’s FaceTime?

A job advert from Palm has cropped up over in the states for a “Video Conferencing Software Engineer” based at its Sunnyvale HQ. Could the next wave of webOS devices be boasting a FaceTime rival?

The job calls for someone along the lines of a:
    “Video Conferencing Software Engineer using C/C++, JavaScript, Rapid Application Development (RAD) methodologies, Java, JavaScript, mobile web services architecture and techniques, scalable and secure server applications”.

Video calling was all the rage back in 2003, when Three Mobile launched the first video calling network. Except it wasn’t all the rage, not really. No-one really seemed that interested.

But now, since Apple has come up with FaceTime, video calling seems to be back on the agenda again - and it looks as though HP and Palm don’t want to miss out.
    The new role could mean a webOS based video calling feature or maybe it involves third party co-operation such as Skype app for webOS devices.

Maybe it is something entirely new - after all, it was reported that Apple was interested in buying Palm because of its intellectual property.

We wait with baited breath.

JOB:

Video Conferencing Software Engineer

Job ID
    Job Location
    Sunnyvale
    Job Category
    Engineering
    Date Posted
    Jul 14, 2010

Minimum Requirements:

Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related (or foreign equivalent) and five (5) years of experience in the job offered or as a Software Engineer, Information Associate, Engineer or related.
    Job Duties:

Design and develop innovative client-server application solutions for mobile devices using C/C++, JavaScript, and other common web standards;
    Work closely with the Device Architect to make design and implementation decisions;
    Develop and maintain mobile services application, tools and re-usable components;
    Work in both client and server development and apply the architectures and best practices of each;
    Gather engineering requirements;
    Create detailed engineering documents from product requirements and deliver solutions to deliver the designs on a reliable schedule.

Special Requirements:

Experienced Video Conferencing Software Engineer using C/C++, JavaScript, Rapid Application Development (RAD) methodologies, Java, JavaScript, mobile web services architecture and techniques, scalable and secure server applications.

NEWS: Palm: webOS rival to Apple’s FaceTime?
    It's possible that webos could try to steal thunder by allowing skype and apple's open facetime service. That'd be an ultimate win for webos over ios4.
    you know it seem to me that there is to much of what if WEB OS beats apple etc. In my modest opinion who cares what apple does or does not do. At the end let the chips fall where they may and regardless of where they fall I will be still using WEB OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    you know it seem to me that there is to much of what if WEB OS beats apple etc. In my modest opinion who cares what apple does or does not do. At the end let the chips fall where they may and regardless of where they fall I will be still using WEB OS.
    I'm sick of hearing this as well. Palm is not going to "beat" Apple, except in one individual's mind. And guess what that individual is going to do...buy a Palm! Seriously, what we need to hope for is a successful transition to HP, competitive products that are on par with what is being offered, and excellent marketing to get both the hardware AND the software components of the phone out there. I don't care if webOS is number 1. It would be nice, but all I really need is for them to be profitable enough that they stick around indefinitely and keep creating better and better products for me and for the rest of the Palm community. This whole Apple crap is really getting old. When a palm device sells over 1 million units in a weekend, then we can start to talk. Until then, GIVE ME MY PRE 2!!!
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Yeah, wake up Palm will never beat Apple no matter what it does, people see the Pre/Pixi as niche phones thats if they even know what a Palm phone is... most will walk right by it.
    apple products were simple 'niche' at one point...

I'm sure HP will have an answer to facetime. The question is, will it launch with the new hardware? Are features like this delaying the hardware?
    tbh if they got skype support, or skype integration..that would be the way forward.

Majority if people that use video calls use skype right now it says there are over 15 million people on skype... and with the iphone you can only do voice calls with skype.
    Rahul Sood told game developers to develop directly for webOS hardware so they can take advantage of the sensors and cameras. Camera was plural. I think that is confirmation there will be at least 2 cameras.