Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    I cannot find anywhere on the web that describes how RESTORING from a Palm Profile backup is supposed to work. Pointers greatly appreciated!

    My wife is out of town... during the trip, while using her Palm as a music player, it played a long screechy tone, then died (was plugged into the charger). When it came back up, it was blank.

    After a while of it not restoring itself, she went to the Backup app and logged into her Palm Profile. Logged in successfully. But still didn't seem to start restoring the phone from the Palm Profile backup.

    Soooo, is there something she needs to do to make that happen? Is there any indication that its restoring whenever it does start to happen?
    Palm Pilot > Palm Vx > Treo 600 > Treo 700p > Pre
  2. #2  
    What exactly was blank.. or what was lost? (apps, contacts, music??)
  3. #3  
    logged into the profile? So it was off? If it was off, it was off so no dice.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    What exactly was blank.. or what was lost? (apps, contacts, music??)
    Everything was lost. All apps. All music. All ringtones. Background wall papers. Everything. (I realize Palm Profile backup is not going to restore most of that... but its a start.)
    Palm Pilot > Palm Vx > Treo 600 > Treo 700p > Pre
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    logged into the profile? So it was off? If it was off, it was off so no dice.
    No, Backup was turned on... was on and is still on.
    Palm Pilot > Palm Vx > Treo 600 > Treo 700p > Pre
  6. #6  
    when was the last update it says performed?
  7. #7  
    A simple battery pull would be a good first thing to try... if everything is still gone then you might have to run webos doctor to get the profile to reload everything. I'll see if i can find a link for that if you need one.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    when was the last update it says performed?
    It says 7/7/10... and that it backs up daily... so, not sure why it says 7/7/10.
    Palm Pilot > Palm Vx > Treo 600 > Treo 700p > Pre
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    A simple battery pull would be a good first thing to try... if everything is still gone then you might have to run webos doctor to get the profile to reload everything. I'll see if i can find a link for that if you need one.
    Okay, had her try that.

    Still same state... no apps have returned.

    Is there a delay before it starts restoring?

    What does it do when it starts restoring all that stuff?

    How do we know when it thinks its done restoring?
    Palm Pilot > Palm Vx > Treo 600 > Treo 700p > Pre
  10. #10  
    To be honest I've never heard of anyone logging into their profile on an active phone. I've only seen it used after using the webos doctor or after getting a replacement phone.

    when your profile is restoring it will show greyed out icons for all of your apps as they are being reloaded. If these icons aren't there then I would assume that nothing is being restored (plus the phone would be extremely laggy from downloading and installing all the apps).
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Stradale View Post
    Everything was lost. All apps. All music. All ringtones. Background wall papers. Everything. (I realize Palm Profile backup is not going to restore most of that... but its a start.)
    The Palm Profile does NOT back up your USB drive. It backs up a listing of your App Catalog Apps, your launcher icon locations for official App Catalog Apps, your Palm Profile contacts/calendar entries/memos, your web bookmarks, some various phone settings, and probably a few other things. It is your responsibility to ensure you have backups of your USB partition (e.g. music, ringtones, wall papers, etc). Here is a good article (written by yours truly) on how to restore a phone back almost complete back to its original setup using a combo of the Palm Profile backup, manually coping your data on the USB drive, and using the homebrew Save/Restore app: http://www.precentral.net/saverestore

    let me know if u have any questions
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    The Palm Profile does NOT back up your USB drive. It backs up a listing of your App Catalog Apps, your launcher icon locations for official App Catalog Apps, your Palm Profile contacts/calendar entries/memos, your web bookmarks, some various phone settings, and probably a few other things.
    Unfortunately, it appears the Palm Profile doesn't even backup the App Catalog apps. It appears to be essentially useless as it is completely unreliable... making it pointless as a backup utility.

    Glad I use The Missing Sync on my Palm Pre... though it assumes Palm Profile is handling some of the stuff.
    Palm Pilot > Palm Vx > Treo 600 > Treo 700p > Pre
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Stradale View Post
    Unfortunately, it appears the Palm Profile doesn't even backup the App Catalog apps. It appears to be essentially useless as it is completely unreliable... making it pointless as a backup utility.

    Glad I use The Missing Sync on my Palm Pre... though it assumes Palm Profile is handling some of the stuff.
    What do you mean? It did not restore the app catalog apps back on to your phone? Then something went wrong. are you sure you signed in to the correct Palm Profile email address? You may want to reach out to palm support because it should have restored your apps (although not the saved-data on those apps..you would need save/restore for that)
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Stradale View Post
    Unfortunately, it appears the Palm Profile doesn't even backup the App Catalog apps. It appears to be essentially useless as it is completely unreliable... making it pointless as a backup utility.

    Glad I use The Missing Sync on my Palm Pre... though it assumes Palm Profile is handling some of the stuff.
    Since it appears you was never actually "logged out" of your profile. Have you tried logging out and then logging back in?
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

    5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

    6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    What do you mean? It did not restore the app catalog apps back on to your phone?
    Yes, exactly.
    Palm Pilot > Palm Vx > Treo 600 > Treo 700p > Pre

Posting Permissions