1.    #1  
    Hi,

my problem is the following:
    I use ampachepre to stream music from home to my palm pre. That works like a charm so far. As my IP address changes every 24hours due to a forced reconnect by my provider I use a dyndns service to connect from my phone to my server at home. That works most of the time. It seems that sometimes the IP set for the dynamic DNS entry is cached on my pre which prevents ampachepre from reconnecting when my IP at home changed. The only working solution to cope with that is a phone reboot.

That's annoying in two ways: First I takes some minutes to reboot the phone and secondly as an average linux user I know that there MUST BE a way to clear the cache but I didn't find it so far

So after stating my problem here's my question: Is there anyone who knows how to clear any DNS cache on the pre? I have the homebrew terminal installed and it would be okay to executed something on command line everytime the IP changed. It's at least faster than the reboot. Naturaly the sugar solution would be an app that clears the cache on finger tip. So if anyone knows something to ease my pain or has an idea and the time for such an app, then let me know. This would make me really happy

Alex
    i'm also having a similar issue. with a different program. there must be a quick and easy way to do this without rebooting.
    java restart?
  4.    #4  
    didn't help, at least for me. I'd say a low level linux network daemon is responsible for dns caching.
    In DNS, it's the server that controls how long the records it serves are cached. You need to make adjustments in your dyndns client or configuration.
  6.    #6  
    The dyndns client checks and eventually updates the DNS entry every five minutes. I can connect to my domain via a webbrowser on a pc but not using the pre. So I assume a client side caching problem.
    According to WebOSInternals:

DNS - WebOS Internals

The Pre uses a standard name resolver, and does not have it's own DNS caching server.

You say you can connect to your domain from a web browser on a PC after an update, but where is that PC in relation to the PC that serves your website for your domain? If it's the same PC or even just on the same network, with the same DNS server, you could get different results then what you are getting with your Pre. Plus, if you test on a PC just after the IP address changes, but not before, of course you will get the correct address - the old one isn't cached, so that could be what is happening.

The fact that you update your Dyndns every 5 minutes doesn't by itself mean that the global DNS system knows that your IP has changed. There are multiple parts to a DNS record - one is the host name, one is the IP address, and another is the number of seconds that mapping is good for - in other words, how long it can be cached.

Once a DNS server looks up your host name / address combination, it caches it for the number of seconds listed in the record - this could be hours or days, even. It's designed this way so that DNS servers aren't constantly talking to each other all the time, for every single address lookup. The owner of the domain has the option of setting this cache time - if they are for static IPs, then long cache times make sense. But for addresses that change frequently, like yours, there is the option of lowering this to something that works better for you.