1.    #1  
    From news.com: hxxp://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20010649-92.html?tag=newsLatestHeadlinesArea.0

(Sorry, had to modify as I can't post straight links yet.)
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    What are the odds that Android application will eventually be able to run on WebOS?

0%, 5%, 50%, 90%, 100%?

Perhaps I should start a new thread. I've never seen the question posed in any of the existing posts.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I'm probably the only person thinking this, but I don't want a webOS tablet. Not yet. The OS is too young to provide any attractions outside of true multitasking.

I want a Windows 7 tablet to replace my aging Sony Vaio laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by scoinva View Post
    What are the odds that Android application will eventually be able to run on WebOS?

0%, 5%, 50%, 90%, 100%?

Perhaps I should start a new thread. I've never seen the question posed in any of the existing posts.
    The odds are 5% or less without any modifications. However, if a developer is willing to also provide the run-time environment in which to run their app, then the chances go up significantly. We could also (at some point) see a homebrew run-time environment for Android apps--seems like that would be possible since Android is open source.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  5.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
    I'm probably the only person thinking this, but I don't want a webOS tablet. Not yet. The OS is too young to provide any attractions outside of true multitasking.

I want a Windows 7 tablet to replace my aging Sony Vaio laptop.
    I look at it this way: WebOS can do more than iOS, it's just lacking in the apps department. If HP can come up with a way to really spur app development (perhaps these most recent changes will be the catalyst we need), a WebOS tablet would handily beat the iPad.

I use my iPad now mainly for Web browsing and entertainment (Netflix streaming, primarily). All HP would have to do is match that functionality at a lower price, and with a very attractive 3G data plan (I'm not personally interested in a WiFi-only device).

What do you think?
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    I look at it this way: WebOS can do more than iOS, it's just lacking in the apps department. If HP can come up with a way to really spur app development (perhaps these most recent changes will be the catalyst we need), a WebOS tablet would handily beat the iPad.

I use my iPad now mainly for Web browsing and entertainment (Netflix streaming, primarily). All HP would have to do is match that functionality at a lower price, and with a very attractive 3G data plan (I'm not personally interested in a WiFi-only device).

What do you think?
    The 3G data plan is a piece of cake... You can take the route of ereaders, which is make it free, but provide profit sharing through sales to the 3G providers.
  7.    #8  
    ^^ That is very attractive. But unfortunately, I think the mobile device eco-system in the U.S. (except for the e-reader segment, which puzzles me) is too greedy for such a model to be applied more broadly. As I said in another thread, I don't mind paying $50/month for unlimited 3G or $30/month for 50 or 100 GB of monthly transfer - but the limits that carriers like AT&T has imposed (and VZW is rumored to implement, as well) are just plain greed-driven.