Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm really sick of what HP's have talked in this 2 months. Or maybe Precentral has already posted too much WebOS unrelated stories about HP.

I'm not interested in HP's high-tech printers, future display, 3-seconds boot pc. Or if i am interested in other gadgets, I could go to engadget.

I don't even care about Iphone, Ipad, Android which obviously 10 times much interesting than HP's other new inventions.

All i want is either new WEBOS device announcement from HP or nothing.
    Or is it appropriate let the Palm's CEO alone intead of numbers of different who-care HP's top managements talk about Palm's roadmap?

A new WebOS device or shut the hell up!
    +1
    +2
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    webOS is a new and very small part of this giant company called HP.

And if youve been paying attention they HAVE talked about webOS... they just havent talked about webOS phones.

Be realistic. They already said they didnt buy Palm to get into the smartphone business. So they clearly wanted the world to know that phones aren't a priority.

Do I want a new phone? Yes... I very much do. I want new hardware... webOS 2.0 with all the bells and whistles that Ive been using patches for, along with new innovations im sure we havent even thought of yet.

But lets face it... even the community here at precentral is just a small portion of the customer base currently using the Pres and Pixis... everyone is waiting with bated breath to find out whats next. Posting your frustration and being abrasive is just boorish.

Think about the solution... be part of the solution... rather than the problem.
    I agree completely. If it doesn't have anything to do with webOS, leave it to engadget rather than trying to put the barest, most far-fetched spins on it to make it seem like it has anything to do with the future of webOS.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  6. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Me too!

If I wanted to hear about HP and their non-WebOS stuff I would go to some HP forums somewhere.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    webOS is a new and very small part of this giant company called HP.

And if youve been paying attention they HAVE talked about webOS... they just havent talked about webOS phones.

Be realistic. They already said they didnt buy Palm to get into the smartphone business. So they clearly wanted the world to know that phones aren't a priority.

Do I want a new phone? Yes... I very much do. I want new hardware... webOS 2.0 with all the bells and whistles that Ive been using patches for, along with new innovations im sure we havent even thought of yet.

But lets face it... even the community here at precentral is just a small portion of the customer base currently using the Pres and Pixis... everyone is waiting with bated breath to find out whats next. Posting your frustration and being abrasive is just boorish.

Think about the solution... be part of the solution... rather than the problem.
    I think he is being part of the solution. If there weren't people screaming for a new phone, HP would have no reason to put one out. The fact that he is here, vocalizing his frustration and impatience, shows that he is still invested in webOS and HPalm. NOT everyone is waiting with bated breath. Many have moved on to droid, evo, iphone,...and many more are waiting for their contracts to expire so they CAN move on. His frustration speaks for a lot of pre and pixi users, be they part of the precentral community or not. There are enough posts around here telling everyone to be patient, but webOS users have invested a lot of time and energy into the platform, and some are very emotionally invested as well. If you find the OP's rant annoying, simply move on. His post does reflect the general attitude of a large number of users, and I for one think he's very entitled to his opinion.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Haven't noticed it so far, but now that you've raised it, you can bet that I will.
    I personally am sick of my daily Google News update on the Palm Pre being all about the new iPhone4. But yes, enough webOS HP stuff and not enough webOS Palm new hardware stuff.
    I couldn't disagree more. I find the "unrelated" webOS news about HP exciting. It shows that HP is not going to just let Palm die, it actually wants to build on what it already there. We don't know when the next webOS phone is coming out and if HP said or did nothing between now and when it does come out, there would be no reason not to assume that HP is simply gutting Palm and that its glowing talk about webOS was more about patents than about technology.

I'm not just a phone geek. I have been using Palm devices since the Palm III - a device that was not a phone but was tremendously useful to me and filled a niche which to this day remains unfilled* in part because Palm decided that it had to concentrate all of resources in making phones. As someone who has long felt that webOS can fit more naturally on a bigger screen, I am looking forward to seeing where HP puts webOS next. I still want a new webOS phone but I also want a webOS Slate, a webOS Tablet, and a webOS Toaster.

*With the right software, the iPod Touch actually can serve as a very effective PDA much same way that older Palm PDAs did and the iPad allows the same kinds of usage to expand to larger form factor. But they don't have the elegance of webOS or the power of PalmOS and this is why I want to see Palm/HP expand webOS into new form factors. Because the need is there and I don't want to settle for Apple's "my way or the highway" solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. I find the "unrelated" webOS news about HP exciting. It shows that HP is not going to just let Palm die, it actually wants to build on what it already there. We don't know when the next webOS phone is coming out and if HP said or did nothing between now and when it does come out, there would be no reason not to assume that HP is simply gutting Palm and that its glowing talk about webOS was more about patents than about technology.

I'm not just a phone geek. I have been using Palm devices since the Palm III - a device that was not a phone but was tremendously useful to me and filled a niche which to this day remains unfilled* in part because Palm decided that it had to concentrate all of resources in making phones. As someone who has long felt that webOS can fit more naturally on a bigger screen, I am looking forward to seeing where HP puts webOS next. I still want a new webOS phone but I also want a webOS Slate, a webOS Tablet, and a webOS Toaster.

*With the right software, the iPod Touch actually can serve as a very effective PDA much same way that older Palm PDAs did and the iPad allows the same kinds of usage to expand to larger form factor. But they don't have the elegance of webOS or the power of PalmOS and this is why I want to see Palm/HP expand webOS into new form factors. Because the need is there and I don't want to settle for Apple's "my way or the highway" solution.
    I so agree. I believe we have exciting things on the horizon. And if nothing comes this week or next, remember, its only a couple of weeks since HP bought Palm. Give it time.
    Quote Originally Posted by PREferred View Post
    I so agree. I believe we have exciting things on the horizon. And if nothing comes this week or next, remember, its only a couple of weeks since HP bought Palm. Give it time.
    I think there are exciting things coming in the future too, but...
    Uggg, can people please stop using the "It's only been..." cop-out? It's been used before the release. "It's only been 4 months since it's been announced." Used to excuse lack of functionality. "It's only been 6 months since it's been released." Blah blah blah. Really, why are we making up excuses and becoming a community of apologists for Palm?
    The HP buyout has been in motion for a few months now. Yes, this changes everything in the evolution of a company, but the truth is that before the buyout was announced, Ruby came out and talked up their aggressive and exciting device roadmap. HP had to know about it too. I don't think it's too much to have expected an announcement of some kind soon after the buyout became official, as the wheels should've been turning for some time already.
    Please, can we agree to stop with the "It's only been..." comments? It's just a shortcut to thinking, and it would be better to just not comment at all.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    I think he is being part of the solution. If there weren't people screaming for a new phone, HP would have no reason to put one out.
    This line of reasoning is one of the silliest I have read on the Internet. I apologize to morrison0880 if that seems harsh... but this viewpoint is WHOLLY unrealistic.

NO - and I mean ZERO - modern company making any sort of money is using a message board to find out what the customers think. That is what they pay market research folks for.

Furthermore, a corporation would be idiotic if it did so. In Statistics, there is a concept called "voluntary result bias". The one-minute version is that any response received that was initiated by the test subject is biased BECAUSE the test subject felt strongly enough to send the message themselves. The easiest situation to see this in is talk radio - a person that calls into a talk show obviously feels more strongly about the subject matter - positively or negatively - than the thousands / millions of other people listening to the show that DON'T bother calling in. As such, that caller has self-identified himself as an outlier.

Guess what? If I'm on this board, I'm probably an outlier. So are you, random person reading this message. Because I'm posting on the board, I've DEFINITELY marked myself as an outlier.

It would be folly for HP to use US as their rudder for the future because we represent such a small percentage of the population. This is not opinion. This is basic Statistics.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAM Renaissance View Post
    This line of reasoning is one of the silliest I have read on the Internet. I apologize to morrison0880 if that seems harsh... but this viewpoint is WHOLLY unrealistic.

NO - and I mean ZERO - modern company making any sort of money is using a message board to find out what the customers think. That is what they pay market research folks for.

Furthermore, a corporation would be idiotic if it did so. In Statistics, there is a concept called "voluntary result bias". The one-minute version is that any response received that was initiated by the test subject is biased BECAUSE the test subject felt strongly enough to send the message themselves. The easiest situation to see this in is talk radio - a person that calls into a talk show obviously feels more strongly about the subject matter - positively or negatively - than the thousands / millions of other people listening to the show that DON'T bother calling in. As such, that caller has self-identified himself as an outlier.

Guess what? If I'm on this board, I'm probably an outlier. So are you, random person reading this message. Because I'm posting on the board, I've DEFINITELY marked myself as an outlier.

It would be folly for HP to use US as their rudder for the future because we represent such a small percentage of the population. This is not opinion. This is basic Statistics.
    This is a very good read. And makes good sense.

But consider also, the PreCentral community was strong enough to annihilate any opposition it faced on Laptop Magazine's smartphone challenges. Some attention should be paid to what we think and say on here, because if HPalm puts out what we want, a large majority of us will put our money where our fingertips are.
    Apprently your very close minded. The talk of all that HP Technology is becuase it very well may be incorperated into a Palm device later on. The HP CEO is now important just as much as Ruby is. HP owns palm now, what do you expect?

We have a cloud based operating system, we have a extremly long boot time. Things like this are related.

Also, not everyone knows of other gadget websites. Not everyone is a hardcore Pre user and may only know of this site.

The only people I have beef with is, hp and palm them selves for not commenting at all about anything other then "theres a roadmap for that".

In regards to promoting other devices such as Evo Reviews and iPhone 4 compare. Its due to the lack of actual news, they are filling it in with other stuff. Lack of news will promote a loss of hits. Obviously this website has some revenue brought in from advertisements, just today I saw a Driod X advertisment. Do you blame the editors and precentral for that?

Ah Jam, it's pretty hard to offend me, so don't worry.
    I'm not saying that his post here will have any effect on HPalm's decision to release another device. You're right. That would be silly. However, his feelings are indicative of what many people feel, and HPalm would be foolish not to keep their finger on the pulse of not only the industry, but also the current Palm community. If people are eagerly awaiting a new device, HPalm needs to know about that demand. If people said that webSO sucked, either as a whole or in one capacity or another, they would need to know about that too.
    Look, obviously the odds of this post causing HPalm to act are nil. However, added to the whole it will at least present them with a general barometer reading of where the mindset of the community is at. After all, without customer feedback, how would companies and industries as a whole evolve and improve?

Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    This is a very good read. And makes good sense.

But consider also, the PreCentral community was strong enough to annihilate any opposition it faced on Laptop Magazine's smartphone challenges. Some attention should be paid to what we think and say on here, because if HPalm puts out what we want, a large majority of us will put our money where our fingertips are.
    Wait... you mean the VOLUNTARY RESPONSE PreCentral community was able to do well on a contest that is based on VOLUNTARY RESPONSE?

I don't think that's exactly the best evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Look, obviously the odds of this post causing HPalm to act are nil. However, added to the whole it will at least present them with a general barometer reading of where the mindset of the community is at. After all, without customer feedback, how would companies and industries as a whole evolve and improve?
    I feel you on the catharsis which occurs from these conversations.

However, if HPalm has not figured out by now that we want a new smartphone that runs WebOS we may as well all jump to Android phones now.
    I feel you on the catharsis which occurs from these conversations.

However, if HPalm has not figured out by now that we want a new smartphone that runs WebOS we may as well all jump to Android phones now.
    Agreed. And it is posts like these, or talk among users, or emails to Palm, or...that show that we want them, and that the demand is not only there, but is getting impatient and ready to jump to new devices and competing platforms. All of these channels funnel information to companies. If we all sat on our hands patiently and quietly, companies would not know where to go with their products or if the demand was there for a product or service in the first place. I for one have no problem with someone posting his or her frustration about the current situation of webOS and the lack of information on future devices.

For anyone that knows Palm as a company and its history, they almost always don't leak new devices. It's always been their way. Most will not like or agree with their way but it's mostly fact.

Yes, they do now belong to HP but that doesn't mean that Palm no longer exists as it's own business unit. Will HP change how they operate? Who knows. However, I can see the frustration of users in that there is no leak or no mention of any particular future WebOS phone. I too don't care for HP printers or refrigerators with WebOS on them. Lol.

WebOS will have to die a miserable death (similar to HD-DVD) before I get an Android phone. Don't get me wrong, the Evo hw is awesome in its own right but the OS blows. Place WebOS on some Evo hw and that's a flagship phone for any carrier.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast