1.    #1  
    I'm really not using any minutes anymore. I use 2-3 gigs of data per month. I pay for internet at home and I have wifi. There is wifi at school and a lot of places I go. I use Google Voice, so I can set up SMS to go though email. I'm ready to stop paying for voice minutes and just pay for data. Is there any way to do this with any carrier? I'm pretty sure Sprint forces you to get a 400 min voice and unlimited data plan at a minimum to have a Pre. What about verizon or AT&T?

I realize that there are no voip solutions on webOS yet, but the fall update is supposed to open up the mic API and I read something about skype releasing APIs, so it sounds like VOIP has a bright future on webOS.
    Last edited by kill_Dano; 07/13/2010 at 01:42 PM.
    I think Verizon only lets you have "data only plan's" if you have a disability (say deafness or you're hard of hearing).
    AT&T will also, but you have to show proof of your disability. There's a special department that provisions those plans. There are quite a few hoops you have to jump through to get those plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    I'm really not using any minutes anymore. I use 2-3 gigs of data per month. I pay for internet at home and I have wifi. There is wifi at school and a lot of places you go. I use google voice so I can set up sms to go though email. I'm ready to stop paying for voice minutes and just pay for data. Is there any way to do this with any carrier? I'm pretty sure sprint forces you to get an 400min voice and unlimited data plan at a minimum to have a pre. What about verizon or AT&T?

I realise that there are no voip solutions on webOS yet, but the fall update is supposed to open up the mic and I read something about skype realesing APIs so it sounds like VOIP has a bright future on webOS
    If you really want to go data only, you can get a MiFi hotspot through Sprint/VZW and carry it with you. Then you connect to it via Wifi.. You can use the meta-doctor to get the phone activated over wifi and pull in your Palm profile.

That is probably your best bet.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    If you really want to go data only, you can get a MiFi hotspot through Sprint/VZW and carry it with you. Then you connect to it via Wifi.. You can use the meta-doctor to get the phone activated over wifi and pull in your Palm profile.

That is probably your best bet.
    yeah. I was thinking of that option. It just seems very silly to carry an extra device to jump though the hoops of lame carriers. The phone is perfectly capable of being data only. Also, as I understand the extra wifi evdo hotstop device is pretty espensive and woukd not be worth the switch to save 10$ a month and the added hassle of 2 devices and wifi connecting and charging and B/S. Perhaps I'll just carry the hpalm webos tablet everywhere and never have a phone.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I'm a Sprint Pre user but have seen this section of the Verizon site. I have no experience with it whatsoever but if you go that route please let us know here how it works and what you find.

Text Only Messaging Plans from Verizon Wireless

Hope it helps
    -- Kevin
  7.    #7  
    from that link: $54.99 monthly access for the deaf or hard of hearing
    Plan includes:
    Unlimited Messaging
    Unlimited Web Browsing
    Unlimited Data Usage
    Unlimited Personal Email
    Voice Per Minute Rate $0.25
    For more information on how to activate this plan, please visit your local Verizon Wireless Retail Store. Appropriate documentation is required.

maybe I can fake it.