Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    as developers and users, how much longer are you going to stick around waiting for new devices, I'm giving Palm 30 days and if by then they havnt announcedanything decent, I will be jumping ship, what about you guys, a week a month a year???? How long are you coing to wait?
    Probably until the end of the year...
    i dunno so torn rite now....nothing...absolutely nothing to look forward 2.....just some freaking buzz words at mobile beat....i was so hoping for some glimmer of hope
    I plan to stick with webOS for the foreseeable future so long as it continues to meet my needs. Given that HP owns Palm I don't see that being an issue.

Why is it exactly that you must jump ship in 30 days? Does webOS and the Pre/Pixi no longer fulfill your mobile requirements. The reason I ask is that webOS has only improved over the last year (not to mention the amazing advancements on the homebrew side).
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    As for the question "does the Pre still meet my mobile requirements" I'd say the answer is "no" - I'd very much like to be able to Skype (or VoIP) my partner, and I'd very much like to be able to do video conferencing with my family too. So, although I'm willing (and eager) to stay with Palm, it is becoming uncomfortably obvious to me that they are falling behind in what I need to get out of my device.

Truth is, people don't necessarily want a full unveiling of a new device - even a teaser tip along the lines of "Hey, it'll have a front facing camera" or "Hey, we're planning on releasing two devices; one with a keyboard and one without". People just want a little good news and something to look forward to. And I really believe Palm/HP could provide a tidbit like this without jeopardizing their projects or future plans.

EDIT: I think that's the most negative thing I've ever said on these forums
    Last edited by errade; 07/12/2010 at 12:27 PM.
    maybe what they had is gettin revised since more money behind them, maybe they are replacing specs with betta

jus a thought
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I plan to stick with webOS for the foreseeable future so long as it continues to meet my needs. Given that HP owns Palm I don't see that being an issue.

Why is it exactly that you must jump ship in 30 days? Does webOS and the Pre/Pixi no longer fulfill your mobile requirements. The reason I ask is that webOS has only improved over the last year (not to mention the amazing advancements on the homebrew side).
    as a user: there are some apps I'd like to see, ie real document editing, access to mic api....... Flash.... Thses thing where either promised or assumed and they never turned up.

as a dev: if Palm doesn't announce something concrete soon I will be developing apps for very few users, I'd rather dev. Android apps, even though I hate the OS it has market share!!!

I would probably keep using my pre, but I'd start deving android apps. ( I was offered the EVO for $30 a month, and although I don't like it, I would use it fordevelopement)
    come to think of it, I wasn't expecting much today, but am dissapointed nevrtheless, will I "stay tuned" ? Probabely, but how long will I bebe able to sing Palms praise without showing off what's "coming"? Not for very long....
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    as developers and users, how much longer are you going to stick around waiting for new devices, I'm giving Palm 30 days and if by then they havnt announcedanything decent, I will be jumping ship, what about you guys, a week a month a year???? How long are you coing to wait?
    I'd say 30 days is a bit unrealistic. They are owned by another company now. That company has to vett all of the existing roadmap and product plans. I'm sure there will be some adjustments to what is already there. If nothing else, I suspect mfg specs will be upped some since HP has more money. These things take time.

It would be mistake for them to announce new product with a long delivery period as well.

Unless something absolutely amazing shows itself before the end of the year, I'm waiting until then before I start looking.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Very happy with Sprint and very happy with my Pre. Not going anywhere. If my Pre dies before new hardware is announced I'll probably pick up a Pixi and keep rockin' webOS.
    I'm just your regular personal/lite business user. I can browse the web, receive exchange e-mail, fiddle with my exchange calendar and open attachments. I think for most webOS users (average Joe public) this is enough at the moment. For example....I have yet to see anyone in public actually bark a voice command into their iPhone or Android device.

I suppose if I was a developer I might be thinking differently but then HP has only owned Palm for a few days.

At any rate HP's on the case and they don't invest to lose....change is coming along with larger market share.

Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    as a user: there are some apps I'd like to see, ie real document editing, access to mic api....... Flash.... Thses thing where either promised or assumed and they never turned up.

as a dev: if Palm doesn't announce something concrete soon I will be developing apps for very few users, I'd rather dev. Android apps, even though I hate the OS it has market share!!!

I would probably keep using my pre, but I'd start deving android apps. ( I was offered the EVO for $30 a month, and although I don't like it, I would use it fordevelopement)
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I'll stay with my Pre and Sprint until a new webOS device comes along (whenver that is) and I am elgible to upgrade.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    My Pre is working fine, does everything I need from a smartphone at this point in time. Come on people, the ink has barely dried on the purchase docs, new products are coming, show a little patience. If you can't wait then go find a phone that makes you happy unless you just like complaining.
    I will ride with Palm until pigs fly, but PLEASE give us some kind of news.
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    I'm committed to WebOS as a dev(although I am using an EVO 4G for personal use until Palm comes out with something new). Still, they need to come out with something spectacular soon.

It's not just new hardware that's overdue, but more capabilities for devs are long overdue. You know, crazy advanced **** like being able to read or write a text file.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    If you can't wait then go find a phone that makes you happy unless you just like complaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    I am using an EVO 4G for personal use until Palm comes out with something new
    Guys, together you make a really good point - netwrkr9, I completely agree with you in principle - but the truth is I can't afford to go out and buy a top-of-the-range phone while I wait for the new webOS device to be announced - and I suspect the majority of other people can't either. If I could afford to grab an Evo just while I wait, that'd be one thing. But I am, and others are, saving their upgrades specially for the next webOS device. So yes, I agree that people should be patient - but it's important to see it from all angles
    It is definitely harder to suggest the pre to friends and family. Even my wife is willing to stick with her Rant instead of getting the pre just waiting for a new device.
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
    My launch day Pre has seen better days, the keys on my keyboard intermittently don't work, the slider is loose to the point I have unlocked my device many times when pulling the phone in and out of my pocket, the TMC will still often come up with compcache solution, USB door finally came off 3 months ago after trying to keep good care of it.

I will say I didn't treat my device with the best of care because I've been ready to give Palm my money for a new device for a while. The wait has been a little too long. Even the dying platform of WinMo has devices launched more often.
    When I brought my Pre I signed a 2 year contract but it's 2010 and I'm sure nobody keeps a phone that long. If I had the cash to 'jump ship' I would of but Palm not paying us to stay but they better hurry up! So until the holiday.
    I stuck with Palm OS running on a Treo 755p til the Pre and webOS came out because it did all I needed. The same goes for webOS and the Pre. The Pre is long in the tooth and is sluggish, but it's ahead of Android and I've never been sold on iOS. I'll wait for Palm til my Pre dies (or the crack on the edges goes strait across the screen).

I sure hope the Pre 2 has a much build quality though.

Tim
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast