Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    I am staying with my Pre until any new WebOS hardware comes to Bell, if not then i am holding my Pre for the rest of my contract :P
    you just made me realize that even when the time comes for Palm to reveal the new linup, I have to wait for it to trickle down to Bell...

if history teaches us anything, that could take a while

*coughandroidcough*
    (IMHO) I guess I don't get the upgrade itch like everyone else, my Pre+ is great and I don't feel the need to impose an Apple tax on my life (and never really liked Android). Yes, it would be nice to Skype (but it would also be nice to have a $reasonable$ data plan); I like my apps and my phone. Haven't had any real serious problems so am happy where I am. Hoping to see new phones soon (it would be really cool), but have no idea when that may (or may not) happen.
    Love Webos but i wish i had something to look forward too.... Will most likely get an htc wp7 if Palm doesn't announce anything by then
    Not suffering from ADHD, i'm perfectly happy with my phone and how webOS is progressing. The Pre isn't perfect by a long shot, but I knew that before I became an early adopter of rev.A hardware of a first-generation system. Seriously.

webOS is a dream to use, even if it's still suffering from a few childrens' diseases. So far, none of them have really affected me, and webOS IS a work in progress - as it progresses, my Pre progresses. There's only so much that software can do, of course, and some new features will require new hardware.
    But unless the new Palm phone actually has an app that builds me an island and then f*cking turns into a jet and flies me there - I'll hold out on new hardware until my 2-year contract is up in 10/2011, and either get the newest webOS phone that fits me best then or, if something's around the corner, wait for that.

But unless Android really revamps into a beauty with 3.0 and Palm really screws up everything despite their new money and resources - two things that i both doubt - I'll be on the webOS ship if you need me. I may even throw lifelines to some of those that jump.
    While there is webOS,
    i'll be using it!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    I'll stay tuned until my phone breaks. Hopefully by then there will be a slate and an updated phone. I'm finding I don't touch my laptop at home unless there's an emergency. Seems like I'm doing less work at home, I'd always do a little work when I had to pull my laptop out of the bag to check meeting invites and emails.

The Pre checks emails and exchange calendar for me so I can just quickly look at them to see if I need to respond to something immediately and plan the next day. The Pre is much easier to rely on for me than my 680, because of synergy and the browser doesn't suck like blazer did.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    I wish they would at least trickle information on new hardware

with all the new android phones coming and even iphone rumors and such it would be nice to know there is something to look forward to.

i will admit i am a hardware spec guy so hearing about it would make me tempted to wait

otherwise i will most likely jump ship to android since iphone is a bit too locked down
    Last year a friend of mine upgraded from GirlFriend 6.0 to Wife 1.0 and found that it’s a memory hog leaving very little system resources available for other applications. He is now noticing that Wife 1.0 is also spawning Child Processes which are further consuming valuable resources. No mention of this particular phenomena was included in the product brochure or the documentation, though other users have informed him that this is to be expected due to the nature of the application.

Not only that, Wife 1.0 installs itself such that it is always launched at system initialization, where it can monitor all other system activity. He’s finding that some applications such as PokerNight 10.3, BeerBash 2.5, and PubNight 7.0 are no longer able to run in the system at all, crashing the system when selected (even though they always worked fine before). During installation, Wife 1.0 provides no option as to the installation of undesired Plug-Ins such as MotherInLaw 55.8 and BrotherInLaw Beta release. Also, system performance seems to diminish with each passing day.

Some features he’d like to see in the upcoming wife 2.0.

a “Don’t remind me again” button
    a Minimize button
    An install shield feature that allows Wife 2.0 be installed with the option to uninstall at any time without the loss of cache and other system resources
    An option to run the network driver in promiscuous mode which would allow the system’s hardware probe feature to be much more useful.
    I myself decided to avoid the headaches associated with Wife 1.0 by sticking with Girlfriend 7.0. Even here, however, I found many problems. Apparently you cannot install Girlfriend 7.0 on top of Girlfriend 6.0. You must uninstall Girlfriend 6.0 first. Other users say this is a long standing bug that I should have known about. Apparently the versions of Girlfriend have conficts over shared use of the I/O port. You think they would have fixed such a stupid bug by now. To make matters worse, The uninstall program for Girlfriend 6.0 doesn’t work very well leaving undesirable traces of the application in the system. Another thing — all versions of Girlfriend continually popup little annoying messages about the advantages of upgrading to Wife 1.0.

Bug Warning

Wife 1.0 has an undocumented bug. If you try to install Mistress 1.1 before uninstalling Wife 1.0, Wife 1.0 will delete MSMoney files before doing the uninstall itself. Then Mistress 1.1 will refuse to install, claiming insufficient resources.

Bug work-arounds: To avoid this bug, try installing Mistress 1.1 on a different system and never run any file transfer applications such as Laplink 6.0. Also, beware of similar shareware applications that have been known to carry viruses that may affect Wife 1.0. Another solution would be to run Mistress 1.1 via a UseNet provider under an anonymous name. Here again, beware of the viruses which can accidently be downloaded from the UseNet.

Tech Support Suggestions

These are very common problem men complain about, but is mostly due to a primary misconception. Many people upgrade from Girlfriend 6.0 to Wife 1.0 with the idea that Wife 1.0 is merely a Utilities & Entertainment program. Wife 1.0 is indeed an operating system and designed by its creator to run everything.

It is unlikely you would be able to purge Wife 1.0 and still convert back to Girlfriend 6.0. Hidden operating files within your system would cause Girlfriend 6.0 to emulate Wife 1.0 so nothing is gained. It is impossible to uninstall, delete, or purge the program files from the system once installed. You cannot go back to Girlfriend 6.0 because Wife 1.0 is not designed to do this.

Some have tried to install Girlfriend 7.0 or Wife 2.0 but end up with more problems than the original system. Look in your manual under “Warnings – Alimony/Child support”. I recommend you keep Wife 1.0 and deal with the situation.

I suggest installing background application program C:\YES DEAR to alleviate software augmentation. Having installed Wife 1.0 myself, I might also suggest you read the entire section regarding General Partnership Faults (GPFs). You must assume all responsibility for faults and problems that might occur, regardless of their cause. The best course of action will be to enter the command C:\APOLOGIZE. In any case avoid excessive use of C:\YES DEAR because ultimately you may have to give the APOLOGIZE command before the operating system will return to normal. The system will run smoothly as long as you take the blame for all the GPFs.

Wife 1.0 is a great program, but very high-maintenance. Consider buying additional software to improve the performance of Wife 1.0. I recommend Flowers 3.1 and Diamonds 2K. Do not, under any circumstances, install Secretary with Short Skirt 3.3. This is not a supported application for Wife 1.0 and is likely to cause irreversible damage to the operating system.

Best of Luck,
    Tech Support
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    I'm in for the next few months. I am a OneNote fan (not to be confused with EverNote) and will be watching what new hardware Palm comes out with compared to Windows Phone 7 with OneNote access. I will have to compare the features and strengths of the available phones at that time to see what direction I'll go next.

Hoping for a strong Palm/WebOS contender!
    My frustration w/HP best characterized by Col George Taylor.
    @NachoB - that's first class writing dude! mind if i tweet this? its hilarious!
    It's not mine (very popular joke, many different variations of it, google it). This thread reminds of that, people not happy with what they have or they have the microwave/fast-food mentality (I call it) of give it to me now.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    back to the topic, i will stay tuned as long as it takes!!
    I just got my pixi minus early last month, so I can't complain too much. I'd just like to be updated a bit more.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    People like my phone more than I do. I don't mind it, but I've had issues with Preware and stuff, while on my iPhone, the unlocking and customization is effortless. Overall, I like Sprint because of the bill cost. It's just too affordable to say no to. I am more than likely going to stick with my Palm until Christmas time, hoping for a new release OR another worthy phone. That's if I don't peel and get the Evo. I played around on my friends, which was already jailbroken, and it was phenomenal.
    hmm.... well that Motorola Droid X is tempting me now.

ughh... I hope HP/Palm announce a new phone soon
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    I just wish there would be even a hint or a little trickle of info about what might be coming down the road regarding new hardware. I love WebOs but I'm rapidly loosing my will to wait. There is a constant stream of new phones being released by everyone and there brother...and news from Palm? Nothing ...not so much as a peep.

I'm starting to look at the Evo pretty seriously. My year old Sprint Pre is starting to loose it's luster pretty rapidly
    there are two things that seem to define a great smartphone nowadays: apps and marketing. it should be very clear that HPalm is trying to jumpstart the former before they concentrate on the latter, what with the PDK promotion and all. once HPalm can prove to themselves that they can compete with the other app stores, they will introduce a new handset and market the hell out of it. i guarantee it. but unfortunately it seems all about the apps these days.. even though i have no complaints with the current Palm offerings.

to answer the question, i'll be sticking with Palm/WebOS for the foreseeable future. i absolutely love my ATT Pre Plus. i have played around with several Android handsets and CANNOT get past the utilitarian/bloated/clunky feel of them. in fact it is beyond me how this platform has seen so much success. if the muscle of the world's largest tech company wasn't behind it, i highly doubt people would be flocking to it the way that they are.
    But it is behind it, and they are. Similarly with Apple, if the percentage of Apple fans (and when you think back all of ten years ago, Apple was basically a fandom) among journalists and other multipliers weren't so high, and Apple not so hip, they wouldn't sell.

Now, of course, if Palm wasn't that company that builds the Pilot, right?, they'd sell more units (the impending huge, earth-rending image campaign will look to change this), and if Samsung had any sort of appealing brand image at all, I could totally see Bada as a serious contender in the platform war. I don't think that anything can help Samsung though.

Don't forget that Android's appeal is its openness, and its UI shortcomings are probably going to be whittled away at by former Palm talent, to boot.
    Until December of next year, if nothing has come out by then, I'll be getting my upgrade to Android. But that's a good year and a half away from now.
  20.    #100  
    I've finally given up on Palm, am getting the Epic tomorrow.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345