Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    For me, it's Palm or nothin. Why the rush? Palm/HP will come out with greatness just as they did with the Pre. I will keep my Pre till 2013 if I have to. I don't want them to be followers to have all the bells and whistles like Android. If I wanted a Droid OS, I'd get one. Not a Palm that's a clone of Android. (based on APIs and Apps) Palm, I think likes to be an innovator, not an imitator. They aren't tryin to be like Microsoft, always late to the party. They're tryin to host the party. (werent they the first with true multitasking and mobile hotspot?) Hang in wit WebOS. I'm pretty sure yall will miss out on straight awesomeness if yall jump ship now. Full retail is a painfull way to get back on the boat!
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    My Pixi makes me happier all the time. Always new patches, I have uberkernel on it now + Govnah, haven't seen a TMC since, and it hasn't restarted itself in months. Plus I just figured out how easy it is to change whatever picture I want on the phone through my MAC and photoshop (wallpaper, splash screens, native app icons, etc) The phone holds up well, so I'm around until the next webOS device - been able to upgrade since May 1st, but haven't wanted to.
    I have a pixi, and not having any of the cool PDK apps I see for the Pre is a bummer, most apps are garbage, there are a handful of devs that are doing something great, but there is a larger percentage of spamware than good.
    I would like to maybe write some apps so I can afford to buy an android if things don't turn around soon. Now that palm opened the door for more spamware, but no new patch for PDK on pixi yet, I don't go to the app store much at all now, all that comes up is maybe if we are lucky one app a week that is even remotely worth checking out, the rest are book apps magazine apps, translation apps. can we get some filters please(like appcat but for the main palm store too).

rant complete... there was nothing I could say that was productive so I need to shut up now :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil View Post
    Sense UI is an HTC thing and as far as the $10 extra fee, if you have that phone, you'll be paying it. It's a 4G phone so have to pay it.
    Yeah, I know, but I heard that you can get widgets to look virtually identical? I actually tried to do it with the Moment I tried out, having different homescreens and the whole shebang because it looked really ugly by itself, but it kept force crashing on me.

Anyway, I really hope every phone to come out isn't 4G from now on. 4G's never going to be in my area (and I have enough problems with Sprint's supposedly good 3G coverage that dies on the Pre the moment I enter my home) and I probably won't be moving to an area where there is 4g anytime soon, but beyond that, it's a really just a way for Sprint to discretely raise its prices to the same level of the competition while providing crappier coverage.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    The only thing stopping me from jumping ship right now is that I keep telling myself it's taking longer because HPalm knows they need to hit a home run to relaunch WebOS. I'm praying they are taking this long to because they intend to release the most advanced phone running the best OS on the market. Anything less and WebOS isn't going to gain market share in a world of Apple, Android and WM7.

"The first dual core phone, powered by WebOS" has a great ring to it imo.
    I dont own a pre, but im thinking about getting a vzw plus, and the only thing holding me back are the darn crap apps. Everyone praises the whole HTML and JScript thing "OH its so easy to develop a program blah blah blah." Why not develop something darn good? Everyone hates the android platform but its way faster than webOS and yeah may not be as slick looking but its functional. Where are the majority of free apps? Or ad supported apps? The Pre might not be "1st gen" hardware alone, its more like "1st gen" apps. Have you seen Layar? Google Goggles? Google Nav? (Alright this one can be excluded) Docs2Go? HTML is not a freaking coding language, its a mark up language. Get freaking Java or Heck dont use HTML for anything in your apps use C++ and the PDK. You dont have the market because you dont have the apps. Woo notifications ( I love) and a good facebook/pandora app. Give me a good GPS fitness application. And dont tell me to learn JScript..I tried. I find it impossible. I do Java not that evil stuff.
    Okay Rant over, I can get past hardware, ill get a case. Ill use the touchstone, ill get a biger battery..but the Apps are really holding Palm back. We have a netbook or any other computer to look at web pages, i want a phone with good apps. BLAH.
    At this point as long as possible. Fees upon fees for the new stuff that I can already do for cheap already... ? Not to mention it is WebOS, that alone makes staying with Palm a no brainer.
    i think the palm pre plus is it for me. the next webos phone will have to be really darn good for me to even consider it. even tho the webos browser is good, it is limiting.

i like winmo (xperia x1a, and telstra hd2) because i can use tomtom navigator on it with out a data plan. also i can use opera mini for fast web browsing and small print on data usage (i use att prepaid go phone sim) and i use opera mobile, ie, and skyfire when on wifi. i use skyfire for videos. each has a place for the type of browsing i do. But...... winmo seems to be a dying breed.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    until my 2 year contract is up
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by techobsessive View Post
    I dont own a pre, but im thinking about getting a vzw plus, and the only thing holding me back are the darn crap apps. Everyone praises the whole HTML and JScript thing "OH its so easy to develop a program blah blah blah." Why not develop something darn good? Everyone hates the android platform but its way faster than webOS and yeah may not be as slick looking but its functional. Where are the majority of free apps? Or ad supported apps? The Pre might not be "1st gen" hardware alone, its more like "1st gen" apps. Have you seen Layar? Google Goggles? Google Nav? (Alright this one can be excluded) Docs2Go?
    the apps you mention are google based apps which ofcourse will only be made by google for ggole.
    HTML is not a freaking coding language, its a mark up language. Get freaking Java or Heck dont use HTML for anything in your apps use C++ and the PDK.
    actually the programing is done in Javascript not HTML since HTML is a markup language. and a language is a language, and is only as powerful as the API's Palm gives you, C++ will only be able to do things Palm will alow it to do, and no more. they may give it more access than JSJSJS $but$ $thats$ $not$ $the$ $language$ $its$ $the$ $API$'$s$
    You dont have the market because you dont have the apps. Woo notifications ( I love) and a good facebook/pandora app. Give me a good GPS fitness application. And dont tell me to learn JScript..I tried. I find it impossible. I do Java not that evil stuff.
    that last line, seems to point out how much you now about coding and languages.
    Okay Rant over, I can get past hardware, ill get a case. Ill use the touchstone, ill get a biger battery..but the Apps are really holding Palm back. We have a netbook or any other computer to look at web pages, i want a phone with good apps. BLAH.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Well, I really enjoy WebOS..so unless my Pre breaks or Android gets more WebOS-esque then I'll be here!

But I'll be honest, I didn't really feel like we I needed new hardware until I saw the 720p video from the iPhone 4..and now I'm starting to look at Android, but both of those platforms are currently not as appealing to me.

I just want better hardware Palm, announce something already!
    I just got my ATT Pre so I am good for a while. I would like to see what is on the horizon though.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Yeah, I know, but I heard that you can get widgets to look virtually identical? I actually tried to do it with the Moment I tried out, having different homescreens and the whole shebang because it looked really ugly by itself, but it kept force crashing on me.

Anyway, I really hope every phone to come out isn't 4G from now on. 4G's never going to be in my area (and I have enough problems with Sprint's supposedly good 3G coverage that dies on the Pre the moment I enter my home) and I probably won't be moving to an area where there is 4g anytime soon, but beyond that, it's a really just a way for Sprint to discretely raise its prices to the same level of the competition while providing crappier coverage.
    How do you know it's never going to be in your area? How do I check if it will be in mine? Haha. I want a 4G phone preferably a 4G PALM phone!!
    Already got an EVO to tide me over... PALM is not releasing anything till next summer....
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
  15.    #75  
    if Palm would at least say they won't have anything soon, I would get the Evo to tide me over
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Personally, not much longer... There is nothing new and everything seems boring now. Nothing existing is happening. I see myself on Android in the very near future.
    I am staying with my Pre until any new WebOS hardware comes to Bell, if not then i am holding my Pre for the rest of my contract :P
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I'm eligible for an early upgrade as of now on sprint so here's my game plan.

If HP/Palm does not release any compelling news before the evo gets back in stock, I will be ordering the evo.

If HP/Palm does release compelling news before the evo becomes avail again I will try to hold on. A lot will depend on HP/Palms timeline.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    the apps you mention are google based apps which ofcourse will only be made by google for ggole.

actually the programing is done in Javascript not HTML since HTML is a markup language. and a language is a language, and is only as powerful as the API's Palm gives you, C++ will only be able to do things Palm will alow it to do, and no more. they may give it more access than JSJSJS $but$ $thats$ $not$ $the$ $language$ $its$ $the$ $API$'$s$

that last line, seems to point out how much you now about coding and languages.
    Okay im sorry that was a rant, but yeah I do know stuff about programming and their languages. Java is way better than JavaScript. And im not saying the developers are doing anything bad, theyre doing the best with what they have. Its Palm who really screwed up. If you look at android apps they are so much higher quality than webOS. I dont game on a phone..so PDK Games are worthless. I want PDK apps.
    I was just told to hold on for a bit longer...I will not be disappointed in consideration something iPh4-like or better of a new webOS device.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast