1.    #1  
    Hi All (also, Palm, are you listening???)

Is anybody else frustrated with WebOS's insistance on replacing plaintext with HTML links EVERYWHERE when it thinks you want it to? Examples include URLs, Phone numbers, things that aren't either but webos wants to make them that way, and email addresses in the memos app, email signature, sharing links from newsroom, etc.

I absolutely HATE this behavior. I do not want my phone automagically marking up stuff that I don't want in the text that I am composing, especially in memos and in my email signature! It might as well randomly add bold, italic, underline, and different font sizes too, while it's at it!

At the very least it should be a toggle setting somewhere (Yeah, webos could use that for a LOT of things). Or better yet, select text and have a "HTML-ify" menu option. Doing it for everything and anything is really starting to P*SS me OFF!

Any easy solution other than dig in, write a patch, or beg someone else to write one to take care of this ridiculous behavior?

I'm sure that writing an exploit for this default stupidity would be fun.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Yeah, that really sucks how you can click on those items and have the OS open the appropriate app and take action on it for you.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    This annoys me sometime too. If I email a 12 digit tracking # to somebody from my Pre, it automatically formats it as a phone # link, which is useless in outlook.
    HP Touchpad: I just cant quit you, baby.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    The functionality is actually quite good IMO. It does need tweaking as Maturin noted - some things get formatted when they don't need to, but overall its a very nice function in general.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    Yeah, that really sucks how you can click on those items and have the OS open the appropriate app and take action on it for you.
    A computer will never do it better than a person, and many of us don't want our computers arbitrarily assigning formatting to things.

There should be an option to disable this, or a way to do it on the fly. Always inserting tags, without asking, is not cool.

And, even if you *like* it, it doesn't always add the tag. Vanity numbers, for example. Try 555-PRE-COOL. Oh noez. It's a phone number, but won't URL-ize it for me. And there's no way to do it on my own. See now how that way of thinking is broken?
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Just press backspace and it will remove the autoformat. Though I agree it would be nice if there was an option to disable it for people that do not want to use it.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    Just press backspace and it will remove the autoformat. Though I agree it would be nice if there was an option to disable it for people that do not want to use it.
    Doesn't work. At least not with a quick test in the memo app.