Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If you want to use Your Pre/Pixi as a USB Modem all you need is freetether and the freetether daemon.

YOU DO NOT NEED MHS OR MT FOR USB MODEM PURPOSES.

Install these files on your Palm Pre:
    Freetether 0.0.1
    Freetether Daemon 0.0.3
    Reboot

USB Modem Drivers for Palm Device when Windows asks for it:
    This is asked for "after you have plugged in your phone" to you PC.
    32-bit: usbnet-pre.inf
    64-bit: usbnet-pre-64.inf

ONCE THIS IS ALL DONE:
    1. OPEN FREETETHER.
    2. TURN ON THE IP FORWARDING.
    3. PLUG PHONE INTO YOUR WINDOWS LAPTOP/DESKTOP.
    4. ADD THE DRIVER FOR THE USB MODEM AS THE ITEM IS RECOGNIZED.
    Windows_XP_usbnet
    5. ENJOY WEB ACCESS.

For those of you that are not getting the RNDIS Device when plugging in the Pre/Pixi do this:
    Download Terminal or Terminus from Preware
    Open the app you downloaded
    Type usbnet enable
    Type Reboot then hit enter.
    USBNet is now enabled.

~~~~~
    FOR EVERYONE WHO NEED AN EASY WAY TO INSTALL PREWARE, THAT HAS A WINDOWS COMPUTER. Preware Windows Standalone Installer
    ~~~~~

PALM PIXI USERS "Additional Instructions": Pixi Thread by timjhenry

PALM PRE 2 USERS "Additional Instructions":
    Before using, edit your usbnet-pre.inf. Change all occurances of USB\VID_0830&PID_0101 to USB\VID_0830&PID_8046
    Last edited by demetry14; 07/19/2011 at 11:29 PM.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Which is the correct Windows USB Modem driver to use for Windows 7?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I have tried and failed on this setup
    This is a cool little hack. Nice work. But really, webOS users really shouldn't need to do this... at the very least MobileHotspot should be on every webOS phone. Currently it's only Verizon, o2 germany, and I think o2 UK. It should be on every Pre and Pixi (except the Sprint Pixi, which has no Wi-Fi radio to broadcast the network)
    By the way, are you doing this just because you want to use USB tethering instead of wireless or because you can't get MobileHotspot on your phone? If it's the former, the only advantage I can think of over Wi-Fi tethering would be better battery life while tethering. I doubt the speeds would be increased though- USB isn't exactly a speed demon IMO. Plus, you'd need to use the Pre's USB door which isn't exactly what I'd call "solid." My friend who has a Sprint Pre broke the USB door on her Pre about a month ago, which has made me even more nervous about the flimsy piece of plastic on my Pre Plus just snapping off.

But back on topic- good post. I didn't even realize this was possible. Even if I don't want to use it, mainly because I have MobileHotspot, one day I might want to or need to try this out. It's a pretty neat little hack. Thanks for sharing it!

One question though: Will the freetether daemon always be running in the background or just when it's needed? And if it is always running, how much of an effect does that have on performance or battery? I get a bit nervous with adding new daemons to my Pre- netstat and the netstat daemon had a noticeable effect on battery life for me. Plus, webOS being Linux-based, it probably has enough daemons running as it is
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Jeff try both but I must tell you the only combo I found that mine works on is freetether/ freetetherd/my tether. I have to have all three of those to work. I use the 32 bit for xp.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanoff123 View Post
    Make sure you have your phone plugged into the computer and have used the driver for the USB Modem.

It works.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    If you are not sure, use the 32bit driver as it will work in a 64bit system.

8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb_or_Sam View Post
    This is a cool little hack. Nice work. But really, webOS users really shouldn't need to do this... at the very least MobileHotspot should be on every webOS phone. Currently it's only Verizon, o2 germany, and I think o2 UK. It should be on every Pre and Pixi (except the Sprint Pixi, which has no Wi-Fi radio to broadcast the network)
    By the way, are you doing this just because you want to use USB tethering instead of wireless or because you can't get MobileHotspot on your phone? If it's the former, the only advantage I can think of over Wi-Fi tethering would be better battery life while tethering. I doubt the speeds would be increased though- USB isn't exactly a speed demon IMO. Plus, you'd need to use the Pre's USB door which isn't exactly what I'd call "solid." My friend who has a Sprint Pre broke the USB door on her Pre about a month ago, which has made me even more nervous about the flimsy piece of plastic on my Pre Plus just snapping off.

But back on topic- good post. I didn't even realize this was possible. Even if I don't want to use it, mainly because I have MobileHotspot, one day I might want to or need to try this out. It's a pretty neat little hack. Thanks for sharing it!

One question though: Will the freetether daemon always be running in the background or just when it's needed? And if it is always running, how much of an effect does that have on performance or battery? I get a bit nervous with adding new daemons to my Pre- netstat and the netstat daemon had a noticeable effect on battery life for me. Plus, webOS being Linux-based, it probably has enough daemons running as it is
    Mobile Hotspot and MyTether are not necessary and heat up your phone. If you are only looking to tether 1 Windows PC/Laptop this is the BEST non-heat intensive way to do so.

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by switchedgear View Post
    Jeff try both but I must tell you the only combo I found that mine works on is freetether/ freetetherd/my tether. I have to have all three of those to work. I use the 32 bit for xp.
    When using Freetether, make sure to turn on the IP Forwarding. Otherwise you will not get internet to the USB device.

This is a great app/hack if it works. A lot of people have problems with MHS (including me occasionally), so if its that easy, thanks.

I copied it since I have MHS (which should be free on all Pre's, I agree), but every update breaks it, so this will be my backup if that happens, which could be anyday . . .
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll
    What is the phone set to? "Just charge"?

Also, I am not being prompted on a driver installation.
    I have it in Just Charge Mode.

I use Quick USB Dashboard so I do not have to select anything, so this is the default state when I plug it into the computer.

I'll pull up my Windows installation and check the exact USB plug notification in the system tray for better clarification.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 07/13/2010 at 02:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanoff123 View Post
    Me too.
    Then I fixed DevMode, and made sure I could get freetheherd setup. App installed fine. I will test it at home tonight! WHOOOOOOOO!
    Last edited by wpavlik2; 07/13/2010 at 02:09 PM. Reason: update!
    Palm user since my Palm Pilot Pro (B'day present 13 years ago, which I still have!) Previous devices include: IBM Workpad M100, C505, Palm i705, Palm Tungeston, 650, 680, and currently Pre! (There'll be more, I know it!)
    I am having trouble! How do you add the driver for the usb modem?
    Thanks so much!
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Thanks for the timely post, demetry14.

Just a couple notes that were required for my setup...

First, when you open freeTether, if the USB screen says (null) instead of an IP address (192.168.0.202), you need to enable the usbnet on the Pre as described here:
    USBnet networking setup - WebOS Internals

Then, when it comes time to install the usbnet-pre.inf on your PC, I found these screen shots helpful, as the driver install differs somewhat from a 'normal' driver install.
    Windows XP usbnet - GumstixDocsWiki

Also, as previously reported, the 'Linux USB Ethernet / RNDIS Gadget' driver does not seem to work on XP Service Pack 2 - just another reason to install SP3.

Take care,
    Josh
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    I am having trouble! How do you add the driver for the usb modem?
    Thanks so much!
    in Windows it is in the device manager. if you missed the USB notifications that come up in the task bar when you plug a USB device in.

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    For clarification:
    1. Should the phone be in DevMode or not?
    2. Should I select Just Charge or USB Drive?
    As for data transfer, this uses the phone's regular Web/email data transfer allowance, right? (...and not the 5 GB Mobile Hotspot limit on VZW?)
    Can't get this to work on Windows 7 x64.
    Quote Originally Posted by ifeellikeastar View Post
    Can't get this to work on Windows 7 x64.
    That brings another question for me: can I make this work on Mac? I'm a strictly Mac guy - Windows is not an option for me.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    That brings another question for me: can I make this work on Mac? I'm a strictly Mac guy - Windows is not an option for me.
    I am a Mac and Linux guy myself and at this time it is not available as the Mac OS does not recognize the Pre as a USB Modem.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast