Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Ok it looks like I need the actual Gumstix USBNet stuff. I am going to look for those drivers and give em a shot.

The wiki link is what I was doing already but it wasnt working, although I never saw the gumstix part (Fail) lol

I will post back later

thx guys
    A couple things from a Linux/Pixi user's perspective:

I'm pretty sure this method is incomplete and doesn't work on the Pixi. For some reason Freetether doesn't do everything it needs to do on a Pixi to fully enable tethering. QuarlesLT mentioned the final step required for the Pixi.

Those XP USBnet drivers are for the Pre, not the Pixi. I've tried modifying them to work for the Pixi, but it still didn't work in XP. In Windows 7 and Linux, the drivers are built in, so no sweat.

USBnet absolutely MUST BE enabled on ANY Palm device for USB tethering to work. No ifs, ands, or buts.
    Thanks, that's why I'm totally not sure how demetry14 supposedly got his working without touching USBNet at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Thanks, that's why I'm totally not sure how demetry14 supposedly got his working without touching USBNet at all.
    Yeah, USBnet had to have been switched on at some point. USB tethering is impossible without it, regardless of platform.
  6.    #86  
    My guess is that at one point either Freetether, MHS or MT must have automatically turned it on for me since I never did it.

This is why I added the link to the main thread QuarlesLT kept crying about.

timjhenry, if you find pixi inf's I will upload them to my account and put them in the main thread.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Hey, I'm just trying to help you with your "Thanks button" clicks you so crave. LOL.
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Hey, I'm just trying to help you with your "Thanks button" clicks you so crave. LOL.
    Hahahaha
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    My guess is that at one point either Freetether, MHS or MT must have automatically turned it on for me since I never did it.

This is why I added the link to the main thread QuarlesLT kept crying about.

timjhenry, if you find pixi inf's I will upload them to my account and put them in the main thread.
    I took a second try at messing with the inf file and finally succeeded. You can now tether with a Sprint Pixi in Windows XP! The inf file required is now in my thread if you want to post it. Revised my instructions to better suit Windows as well.
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by timjhenry View Post
    I took a second try at messing with the inf file and finally succeeded. You can now tether with a Sprint Pixi in Windows XP! The inf file required is now in my thread if you want to post it. Revised my instructions to better suit Windows as well.
    Your thread has been linked in my main thread, thanks for your input.

I'm having trouble installing the driver on my PC (Vista 32 bit). I got everything installed on my Pre (Verizon), and when I plugged it in, it found new hardware. But, when I point it to the folder where I saved usbnet-pre.inf, and I get "Windows was unable to install your RNDIS Ethernet Gadget. Windows could not find driver software for your device. If you know the manufacturer for your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software."

When I go into Device Manager, the RNDIS Ethernet Gadget is listed under "Other Devices". But if I click on it, there's a message that says "This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1) There is no driver selected for the device information set or element. To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver." When I click reinstall driver, I get the same error explained above.

Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks,
    Laurie
    To add to the above post....

I tried one thing I read on another thread, and manually went in to add device, selected "RNDIS Ethernet Gadget", then selected "Network adapters" and then "Microsoft Corporation" and "NDIS Remote Ethernet Device" (something close to that, not looking at it right now).

It went ahead and installed, and when I opened my Network Connections list, it was there as Local Area Connection 3. BUT...local access only, no internet! I could never get it to access the internet.
    Hi, I had the similar problem. I use Palm Pre 2. Unfortunately all solutions available did not help. I have XP professional, SP3 and whenever I tried to install usbnet-pre.inf driver I got pop-up: "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware".
    Finally I looked at the usbnet-pre.inf file and found device identifier:
    USB\VID_0830&PID_0101
    while in the properties on my "unknown device" I found:
    USB\VID_0830&PID_8046

I edited .inf file and changed all occurences of: USB\VID_0830&PID_0101 to USB\VID_0830&PID_8046 and now it works perfectly. Hope this will help to some of you!

Greetings,
    Tomasz Karski
    (Poland)
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by TOMA52 View Post
    Hi, I had the similar problem. I use Palm Pre 2. Unfortunately all solutions available did not help. I have XP professional, SP3 and whenever I tried to install usbnet-pre.inf driver I got pop-up: "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware".
    Finally I looked at the usbnet-pre.inf file and found device identifier:
    USB\VID_0830&PID_0101
    while in the properties on my "unknown device" I found:
    USB\VID_0830&PID_8046

I edited .inf file and changed all occurences of: USB\VID_0830&PID_0101 to USB\VID_0830&PID_8046 and now it works perfectly. Hope this will help to some of you!

Greetings,
    Tomasz Karski
    (Poland)
    THANKS FOR THE INFO.

I will add it to the main post.

Hey I want to install freetether but the daemon I'll link is broken. Can someone post a better link?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    broken links?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345