Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    But the link only explains how to install the USBNet driver on the Windows side, not how to activate it on the phone itself so Windows will detect it. You could just link here: USBnet networking setup - WebOS Internals
    Huh, did you read my post. What are you trying to do on your phone?

Once Freetether and it's Daemon are installed and Freetether "IP forwarding" is set to "Enabled" the passthrough from 3G to wifi is enabled and the phone will supply the computer with an IP address.

The link you provided was for manual configuration of of a USB network to the phone.

I HAVE NEVER HAD TO DO ANYTHING EXTRA ON ANY OF THE PHONES I HAVE MADE USB MODEM "TETHERING" AVAILABLE ON.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Well I don't know how. I've had to enable USBNet on the phone with "usbnet enable" in Terminal or with the phone in Dev Mode and using Putty/Novaterm on the PC in order for Freetether to work through USB and for Windows to recognize the RNDIS Internet Sharing Device.
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    Once Freetether and it's Daemon are installed and Freetether "IP forwarding" is set to "Enabled" the passthrough from 3G to wifi is enabled and the phone will supply the computer with an IP address.[/U][/B]
    You are basically saying here that you are turning your phones into WIFI HOTSPOTS which goes against your title or point of this thread.
  4.    #64  
    You are basically saying here that you are turning your phones into WIFI HOTSPOTS which goes against your title or point of this thread.
    What, do you know what all the funtions of Freetether are. & I didn't say anything about wifi connection.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    *facepalm*
    Off topic - I've gone well over 5gb of data usage nearly every month on Sprint since April 2007, haven't received a letter, phone call, or notice of any kind. Moved back home with parents in the boonies for this year, so last month I used my mom's Verizon Pixi Plus for USB tethering using the method I posted earlier in this thread and went over 15gb, and it didn't count toward the 5gb limit on VZW's Mobile Hotspot (used 4gb with that). Muahaha.
    Just installed, works great! Had to enable usbnet in the pre, I used wosqi command line.

btw, I'm on sprint 1.4.5 and also have mhs which works great as well. So now I have choices!
    Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
    Had to enable usbnet in the pre, I used wosqi command line.
    Thank you.
  9.    #69  
    I dunno what to say, I do the installs, reboot and everything works fine. Never have I had to enable anything on the phone via command line for tethering.

I FEEL LIKE FORMATTING SOMEONES PRE AND DOING IT FROM SCRATCH, JUST TO PROVE MY POINT.
    Last edited by demetry14; 08/15/2010 at 02:57 AM.

Where is the driver to install after opening the the device manager? I know this redundant for you but I'm missing something. I can't get it to work. Thanks for your help.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitworth View Post
    Where is the driver to install after opening the the device manager? I know this redundant for you but I'm missing something. I can't get it to work. Thanks for your help.
    You might be having the issue QuarlesLT has and need to run the USBNet command I recently added to the main thread. "This can be done from the phone if you have installed Terminal or Terminus".
    Last edited by demetry14; 08/18/2010 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitworth View Post
    You won't see anything in device manager for Windows to look for if USBNet is not activated on your phone.
  13.    #73  
    You won't see anything in device manager for Windows to look for if USBNet is not activated on your phone.
    I added the usbnet command and how to do it in the main thread. So people with your issue can resolve it.

BTW, I ran the command on my phone and it had me reboot. Once I rebooted the EV icon would no longer appear in the battery bar. So I had to go into the Phone preferences and re-enable the Data Usage. Also, now that it is enabled my device no longer just mounts the RNDIS Linux Device when I tether, it also mounts the Novacom Device "which it never used to do". Now it seems the phone is doing more in the background then it should need to if it is mounting devices that are not necessary for the requested operation.

But that doesn't matter, everything still works for me after running the command i did not need, so at least i can say it works if you use the command.

Maybe you don't need USBNet enabled because it looks like you are running Linux on your PC (by how you said "RNDIS Linux Device", Windows just called a Network Device for me) while most of us run Windows.
  15.    #75  
    Maybe you don't need USBNet enabled because it looks like you are running Linux on your PC (by how you said "RNDIS Linux Device", Windows just called a Network Device for me) while most of us run Windows.
    I am running a Mac Pro Dual booted with Windows 7 & Mac OS 10.6. It is called an RNDIS Linux Device because WebOS is a Linux Platform.

I have a problem, after banging my head the whole way and getting the phone to act as a modem (the hard part) I cannot get my computer to recognized the rdnis driver or the novacom driver.

I tried both that were provided and tried downloading linux.inf to make it work and so far no luck. I even tried manually adding the driver and adapter.

Help if you can

Palm Pixi
    Windows XP Professional SP2
    Do you have USBNet enabled? If not, check the last page or two for how to enable it, or go to the Pixi forum and look for the thread "Enable tethering on the Sprint Pixi" or something like that. I'd post the link again but I'm on the mobile site.
  18.    #78  
    I added that in the main thread...

simply install terminus or terminal and type:
    usbnet enable; reboot

Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    I added that in the main thread...

simply install terminus or terminal and type:
    usbnet enable; reboot

I did that, I downloaded it from the preware store and installed it. And ran it. I am not a linux pro but I know the basic command lines for the shell etc.

I have no clue, its like the phone is ready to go but my computer just will not see the drivers. I even tried unistalling the drivers for a network card and force installing the linux.inf driver to see if it would recognize it and it did. But when I try to install the linux.inf or the pre64 for the Novacom or RNDIS one it doesnt even know what they are.

I followed the instructions in your OP, I think the issue is mainly on my computer side.

I doubt it does, but I use Verizon if it helps. Do you know where to get more specific drivers for either Nova or the RNDIS adapter?

And do I need both Nova and RDNIS to make it work ?
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by phatorbit View Post
    I did that, I downloaded it from the preware store and installed it. And ran it. I am not a linux pro but I know the basic command lines for the shell etc.

I have no clue, its like the phone is ready to go but my computer just will not see the drivers. I even tried unistalling the drivers for a network card and force installing the linux.inf driver to see if it would recognize it and it did. But when I try to install the linux.inf or the pre64 for the Novacom or RNDIS one it doesnt even know what they are.

I followed the instructions in your OP, I think the issue is mainly on my computer side.

I doubt it does, but I use Verizon if it helps. Do you know where to get more specific drivers for either Nova or the RNDIS adapter?

And do I need both Nova and RDNIS to make it work ?
    When installing the driver it should ask you what type of device it is, make sure you select Network Adapter and then finish the driver install. If I was at my Windows setup I could be more specific, but that is currently not available and I am on my Linux PowerBook.

EDIT 1: I'll see if I can find a walkthrough online for it.
    EDIT 2: Actually it is on the WebOS-Internals page for the USBNet.
    Last edited by demetry14; 09/05/2010 at 04:34 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast