Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chad4359 View Post
    Always nice to be thanked in a language I don't know.
    Ah, but you knew what I meant...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotts View Post
    Ah, but you knew what I meant...
    That's what Google is for.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    Looked at the links and I do not understand a THING going on there. Can you please give a a step by step process to follow. (Including installing Preware or anything else non-stock I might need.) I have a sprint pixi if that helps, thanks in advance
  4.    #44  
    there are appropriate threads that you can use to follow steps... This thread is for my process only and not for the other necessary items... You will need to go to those threads.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Ok, well could you at least give me a list of the things I need to put on my pixi to get this working?
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by SenseiDaDuelist View Post
    Ok, well could you at least give me a list of the things I need to put on my pixi to get this working?
    The items in my first post are needed on your PRE/PIXI. Seriousely... Recheck the main post for this thread... the Windows Based Preware installer is on there to get you up and going hopefully fully.
    Last edited by demetry14; 07/28/2010 at 02:15 AM.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Edit: Nvm
    Has anyone gotten Freetether working on a VZW Pre/Pixi Plus for USB tethering? I can't seem to get it to work. I installed Freetether and its daemon and enabled USBNet but every time I turn on IP forwarding the 3G icon starts to disappear and reappear intermittently. The PC's we tried it with will never get an Internet connection, even when setting all info. statically. We would like to use Freetether for when we get near the 5GB limit with Mobile Hotspot.

Thanks for any information.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Has anyone gotten Freetether working on a VZW Pre/Pixi Plus for USB tethering? I can't seem to get it to work. I installed Freetether and its daemon and enabled USBNet but every time I turn on IP forwarding the 3G icon starts to disappear and reappear intermittently. The PC's we tried it with will never get an Internet connection, even when setting all info. statically. We would like to use Freetether for when we get near the 5GB limit with Mobile Hotspot.

Thanks for any information.
    Internet is internet and if you use it when you get close to the 5Gb limit you will just go over your limit.

Also, this process is identical for the Pre/Pixi and the Pre+/Pixi+. If your getting 3G start/stop constantly it is because after you did the installs you did not reboot after the installs.

The 5gb limit only applies to Mobile Hotspot. If you use MyTether, you can go over the 5gb limit and not get charged on a per mb basis afterwards. But I can't get that to work on the Pixi Plus either. Everything works fine on my Sprint Pre. Starting to think it's a Verizon thing in its ROM.

I've rebooted multiple times. 3G only starts disappearing once I enable IP Forwarding on the Pixi. Again, no problems on the Sprint Pre, but I hardly have Sprint service at home, VZW is excellent.
    Well I've got USB tethering working on a Verizon Pixi Plus! Most of demetry14's steps are correct, but there are a couple of additional steps you have to do.

I think demetry14 forgot to include the steps to enable USBNet on the device. You also have to get access to a terminal (through Terminal/Terminus on the Pixi itself, or Novaterm/Putty/etc. on a PC. If you use a PC, make sure the phone is in Developer Mode) and type this command:
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o rmnet0 -j MASQUERADE
    Source:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pi...ml#post2578751

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by QuarlesLT; 07/30/2010 at 07:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanoff123 View Post
    I have tried and failed on this setup
    Make sure you have also done this before you connect the phone to the PC:
    USBnet networking setup - WebOS Internals Just do the first step, or install the USB Passthrough patch from Preware, restart Luna or reboot, Open the new USB Passthrough icon on your phone, turn on USBNet at the bottom, and reboot.
    just my $0.02 on all this. I got it to work but then in subsequent tries I was having I think the same problem other people were, where nothing would happen when I plugged the usb into the computer.. so, heres what I do now and it works every time (winXP sp3; and I installed everything as per above instructions)-- so this is for the folks that got it to work but then it doesn't seem to afterwards..
    1) boot up laptop
    2) ctl alt delete to task manager and end task of novacom
    3) open free tether on pre, plug in usb into pre, then plug usb and pre into laptop
    4) go to network connections, refresh.. once you find the network cable #5 (on mine, likely some other number for you), <-- whichever one is the usblinux device name)

the main trick at this point, for smooth FUTURE use, is when you're done using the phone as a modem, while everything is still on and plugged in, just go to network connections and right click to disable that one. then you can unplug usb/pre and everything...

then the next time you boot up and do my steps above, if you refresh network connections, once the pre is plugged in, it will pop up as "disabled" after which you just right click and enable.

I don't remember how/what hoops I had to jump thru to get that network connection to show up the 2nd time, (after I rebooted , having done everything in these instructions and getting a successful connection at first)... that part I'm sorry I cant help, but at least for me this method now enables me to get it to work every time.
    good luck
    Brent
    What if I have a palm centro or a palm pixi by sprint (I have both)
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragster1090 View Post
    You can still do the tethering with the Pixi from Sprint the same way I did it for my Sprint Pre.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dragster1090 View Post
    For your Centro, there's PDANet. You can try it before you buy it. I successfully used it all the time on my Treo 700p until I got my Pre.
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeneyte View Post
    For your Centro, there's PDANet. You can try it before you buy it. I successfully used it all the time on my Treo 700p until I got my Pre.
    I forgot about PDANet when i replied to him, thanks for the tip.

demetry14 you may want to add the steps for actually enabling USBNet on the Pre/Pixi itself to the OP so more people won't have the issues people have already stated in this thread.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    demetry14 you may want to add the steps for actually enabling USBNet on the Pre/Pixi itself to the OP so more people won't have the issues people have already stated in this thread.
    It is my understanding that all the walk throughs on here are usually asked millions of questions because people don't read the entire thing. So the shorter I make it and to the point, the less people will have to ask, and being that there is a link on the OP to the steps for what you asked i do not see a point in rewriting it.

That would be like asking you to rewrite the owners manual because the PDF online is on the Palm Website and not here in plain text.

But the link only explains how to install the USBNet driver on the Windows side, not how to activate it on the phone itself so Windows will detect it. You could just link here: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/USBnet_networking_setup
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast