1.    #1  
    I remember a couple of months ago when Android froyo was announced, one of the android developers said about the optimization of froyo, "it will make android faster, webOS faster, and the internet faster". Does anybody know anything about that? Is it because the code is open source and palm can use it in webOS? Recently I have been hearing about android's dalvik JIT compiler that makes froyo so much faster than eclair, but I thought dalvik was a JRE or something, and webOS is in javascript and HTML, which is much different than java. Anyhow, anyone care to fill us in on any of this.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    The only reason that I can think of is because Palm will want to compete against Android and will speed up the WebOS browser.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Yes this is probably true. Android and webOS use the same open source Javascript engine known as V8. This was developed and is maintained by Google.

This kind of describes the ultimate irony with webOS. Its core is built on technologies built by its competition. Webkit is webOS's HTML engine which is OSS originally developed by Apple. Google created V8 described above. Without these two components, there may not be a webOS today. So for that, thanks Apple and Google!
    WebOS 2.0 is going to be a speed daemon.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I just hope they hurry with 2.0! It is going to be freakin amazing!!
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    Webkit is webOS's HTML engine which is OSS originally developed by Apple.
    I'm not saying apple didn't make significant contributions but it was originally developed by the kde project as KHTML, apple was the one that started the fork WebKit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    you say that..but dont get too excited...it may disappoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    How do you know it's going to be freakin amazing provided you haven't seen it, haven't touched it, and you don't know it even exists?

Apple fanboyism much? It's an iPhone it's going to be freakin amazing I don't care?
    how can one OS SPEED UP ANOTHER ?
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    It's open-sourced but I doubt palm would use it.
    WebOS > Android
    I heard that when they announced chrome 5.. Then they announced it for android, and I guess palm prefers letting google handle the port from x86...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joescan09 View Post
    WebOS 2.0 is going to be a speed daemon.
    your words in god's ear
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    If the one OS is sped up by a software improvement that can be used by the other OS as well.

In this case, a new version of Google's V8 JavaScript engine offers vast speed improvements, and since V8 is licensed under New BSD, Palm will be able to incorporate it into webOS 1.5 next month (if you're an optimist), 2.0 next summer (if you're a pessimist) or 3.0 when Palm's next phone hardware is released in 2016 (if you're what seems like half of this forum).

By the way, this isn't baseless speculation - when Google broke the news, Ben or Dion (can't remember which) twote something like "Great news! The web gets faster - webOS gets faster" and iirc it was mentioned in their Developer Day talk, which is pretty much the roadmappiest thing we've got in Palmland right now. So it's coming alright, the question is only when.