Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok I admit...i like conspiracy theories and I would like to see if anyone thinks the same or can shed some light on the subject....ok first
    1. WebOS update was delayed to give PDK dev more time to get there stuff ready for the contest. I believe some devs cried wolf because after the annoucement of no fees to put your app in the cat they wanted in and couldn't make the planned WebOS 1.4.5 update. So hence the update being moved back to give them time.

2. Touchstone is no more!! Tooo cheap right now. Just like when a item is on it's last run they drop prices to get rid of inventory.

3. Palms or cell carriers poor execution of the getting product out to the masses (and being on multiple carriers doesn't mean squat) and the possible (more obvious) high inventory of Pre's sitting on carriers shelves has left cell carriers gun shy of carrying the next Palm product.

3. I feel that this update and maybe the next will be the last for the Pixi/Pre first gens. I think that if and when the next phone comes out that the hardware and software are going to be a beast which will give Palm and devs more options to do things which first gen can't handle (fracture...i.e. Droid).

Sooo what do you think????
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I love conspiracy theories too

1. This seems like a real possibility. Though really, I don't think anyone should be crying foul over not receiving 1.4.5 just yet (except maybe Pixi owners).. there really wasn't any noticable change .. at least none that I've readily noticed, but then again, I'm one of the non-official country Pre users! If there delays on a massive update - a la the jump from 1.1.2 to 1.4.1, then I could understand. Save yourselves some white hairs!!

2. To be honest, Touchstone was plagued with problems. Mine works intermittently, and really, the whole thing is a fad.. afterall, my Oral B toothbrush has the same technology!!!

3. I disagree with this one. Whilst the lacklustre sales from initial release of Pre / Pixi and rumors of building inventories may discourage carriers from fighting over exclusive rights, the fact is, with a name such as HP behind Palm, carriers will get comfort from the fact that build quality will more than triple and Palm has the resources to continue to develop innovative products.. Don't forget that HP has dropped that the next year we will see some "new and exciting products"... I'm sure that we'll see some features that are unlike anything we've ever seen before.. not just features that are built into the phone to keep palm in the game. I'm sure HP knows that Palm needs to be a game-changer in order to gain further on its pitiful marketshare!

4. I think Palm will follow the same ideals as Apple and try to release firmware for old devices as well as the newer devices, but rather, simply disable features that the old devices have no chance in running.

I honestly can't imagine the next few firmware releases requiring any big-jumps in hardware... The Pre/Pixi already do multitasking, which older iphones can't do... my guess is the next few releases will just be improvements to included PIM apps, improvememnts to the browser, access to APIs for devs and optimization of code to make things run smoother.. so i reckon Pre/Pixi owners should be safe for a while yet... of course tho, we'd miss out on video calling!!

No fragmentation on webOS!!

Work mobes: Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo Pro > O2 Palm Pre- > Palm Pixi+ > Pre 2 > Pre 3
    Home mobes: Sony Ericsson K610 > Sony Ericsson W910 > iPhone 3GS > Verizon GSMed FrankenPre+ > HTC Desire HD > HTC Evo 3D > White HTC Sensation XE
    Tablet: HP TouchPad 32GB / ASUS TF101

3.    #3  
    @ dr3wster

cool...looks like I got one to bite and I guess I can see the Apple route in your 4th point. Looks like we sorta agree about Touchstone. As for point 3.....we'll agree to disagree. Lets just hope this money that HP will throw @ Palm will be enough to sway people back from Droid and iPhone (or whoever else they went to waiting on new hardware).
    Actually I don’t agree with any of your conspiracy theories but added one of my own:

1. 1.4.5 is in the carriers hands and the release timing is up to them.

2. The touchstone is great (I have 4 of them) and it is built into all Palm phones

3. There just wasn’t enough budget to compete with Apple and Google to get the phones in the public eye.

4. (or 3?) HP/Palm will continue to support the existing user community with updates up to the physical limitations of the hardware.

5. This is a conspiracy I do believe – Verizon has crippled the GPS in the OS of Palm Phones to sell more Verizon Navigator packages.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne173 View Post
    Ok I admit...i like conspiracy theories and I would like to see if anyone thinks the same or can shed some light on the subject....ok first
    1. WebOS update was delayed to give PDK dev more time to get there stuff ready for the contest. I believe some devs cried wolf because after the annoucement of no fees to put your app in the cat they wanted in and couldn't make the planned WebOS 1.4.5 update. So hence the update being moved back to give them time.
    Most likely the other way around-- the contest was delayed for the update. The carriers have had 1.4.5 for a while.

2. Touchstone is no more!! Tooo cheap right now. Just like when a item is on it's last run they drop prices to get rid of inventory.
    Or it dropped to attract new people to the Pre. Plus, it was insanely expensive. It costed $5 to make and they sold it for $40+

3. I feel that this update and maybe the next will be the last for the Pixi/Pre first gens. I think that if and when the next phone comes out that the hardware and software are going to be a beast which will give Palm and devs more options to do things which first gen can't handle (fracture...i.e. Droid).
    HP might not have new hardware out in time for the planned update. The update supposedly comes in the Fall.

Sooo what do you think????
    -
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr3wster View Post

2. To be honest, Touchstone was plagued with problems. Mine works intermittently, and really, the whole thing is a fad.. afterall, my Oral B toothbrush has the same technology!!!
    You are the first person I have seen to date hatin' on the Touchstone.
    If the next phone doesn't have TouchhStone I'll be CRUSHED.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    If the next phone doesn't have TouchhStone I'll be CRUSHED.
    You and EVERYONE else.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    The touchstone is awesome!

(I have 5 now, office, home office, nightstand, car and one for travel, ...at $15 bucks, buying more was a no-brainer) - and every single one works flawlessly.. so nice to just drop it, and charge...

I think the price drop is to move units, and it's working... Palm should have figured out a way to have included the Touchstone w/ the Pre. I know they were beyond broke at that point and just couldn't afford to, it was always about making some cash... HP, on the other hand, lots of money to burn, and they don't care if the Touchstone is a "loss leader" designed to attract new users.

I'd be very surprised if HP drops the Touchstone.
    I can see the next phone having a beefier battery and the current touchstone being incompatible but there will be a touchstone equivilant.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    If they want to keep the current Palm folks happy and keep them transitioning to new models they need to make it so we can use all the accessories we've bought compatible, like the TouchStone. I have 3 of them and I would be reluctant to buy another Palm WebOS device if I couldn't use it on them.. seems like a terrible waste of a good product.

The one I have at work makes all those Droid/Blackberry and iPhone users jealous!
    I really like the touchstone (I have 2), but I think it may be going away so they can add a compass. The magnets on the touchstone back would probably mess with a compass.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    I really like the touchstone (I have 2), but I think it may be going away so they can add a compass. The magnets on the touchstone back would probably mess with a compass.
    what if the touchstone back used electromagnets that could be turned on and off? e.g turn off when compass is in use. Idk that be cumbersome to implement or cost prohibitive but it does seem like it could work. Id be devastated if i lost touchstone technology on my next webos device, but i really want that compass lol.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    There is nothing wrong with the hardware (from a processor/graphics/RAM) perspective on the Pre or Pre+. It's the same (or exceeds) the iPhone 3GS in all areas, and that phone is still a fast, fast phone. The software just needs to be optimized. There is no reason the Pre (+) couldn't be a very responsive phone if Palm/HP can get the software optimized.

Yes, the overclocking helps, but that still masks the fact that the software just isn't that optimized, even at this point in the life of the phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax12 View Post
    what if the touchstone back used electromagnets that could be turned on and off?
    Excellent idea. Since it is on the charger, the little but of extra power needed to power the magnets wouldn't be missed.
    You might have come up with a better solution than the original design.
    I LOVE conspiracy theories...I need to go think up a few...
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    I can definitely say that "compass" isn't on my top 1,000 required features list for my next phone. Wireless charging probably is in my top 25 and moving toward my top 15.

There is a compass in the dashboard of most cars these days...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Hey if they are doing away with TS technology and going back to plugging a cable into our phones to charge them, let's go ahead and go back to plugging our phones into a cable to talk too.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Hey if they are doing away with TS technology and going back to plugging a cable into our phones to charge them, let's go ahead and go back to plugging our phones into a cable to talk too.
    Why do people like to speculate that the touchstone will go away when there isn't a single piece of information ANYWHERE that suggests that would even be considered? More phones want to add wireless charging, and there are a bunch of third-party products out to add wireless charging to the iPhone.

Someone says "I wish I could have a compass but that wouldn't work unless they scrap the touchstone" and all of a sudden we get people talking like they know what Palm is planning. Arrgh.

Personally, I don't want or need a compass. I'd suggest that a compass isn't what most people ask for when they walk into a phone store. Funny that you don't see it as a prominently advertised feature for iPhone or Android.

I think it's safe to say that the award winning Touchstone isn't at risk, but is actually a fantastic advantage that Palm failed to promote in their terrible attempts at marketing.

If the next-gen phones use a different method, or change the TS design, oh well. We'll have to buy new accessories when we upgrade to the next Palm phone - same as is the case with most phone accessories.

But I sure hope new and prospective pre owners aren't reading these threads and believing that this stuff is anything more than baseless speculation...

Sorry, but it needs to be said...

Compass isn't widely advertised, but maybe it should be - it's not about the raw compass itself, it's about how it can be tied into other apps. The compass API is the killer feature.

You won't understand once you've navigated from point A to point B with your Pre, and then navigate from point B to point C with, say, an iPhone 3GS.

That said, the touchstone back does not contain any magnets whatsoever - it contains little metal discs for the magnets in the touchstone itself to hang on to.
    Proof? Take something ferrometallic (i.e. your average spoon) and touch your touchstone back with it. No magnetism. Now take your spoon and touch the surface of the touchstone with it. See?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast