Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This has been brought up on twitter several times, so I thought I would bring up a more in-depth discussion on the benefits of Web OS Internals being bought by Palm or not. Here are some thoughts on why I think it would be a good or bad idea. Please comment or list your reasons for/against.

Reasons to buy them out:
    They have a proven track record of doing amazing things with Web OS.
    They have a deep understand of how Web OS works.
    They have invented awesome technologies around Web OS.
    They are smart and thoughtful about everything they do.

Reasons not to buy them out or hire them individually:
    They are independent. If they do something wrong, Palm is not at fault.
    They are open source. If they do something right, Palm can adopt their code into a future update.
    Hiring Key developers away could cripple the some what small organization and potentially stifle their creativity.
    Who said they were for sale?
    Last edited by grandebob; 07/08/2010 at 05:40 PM.
    they should contract them to create a skunk works. they should flat out hire Jason.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Those are valid reasons for and against hiring developers of the webos internals organization or various other homebrew developers such as Jason R..

While these guys bring a huge benefit to the user community, their reach is only a relatively small portion of the total user base. The average Pre user probably doesn't know much about the homebrew community. Most users are not inclined or able to even install something like WebOS Quick Install or PreWare, thereby missing out on these significant improvements to the platform.

Having them work for Palm or at least serve as consultants of some sort could potentially lead to important improvements to the official version of the OS that is available the vast majority of users.

Of course, this assumes that any of these guys would even want to work for Palm in any capacity. That may or may not be the case.

Setting aside the idea of an official relationship, it would be nice to see Palm offer some unofficial support such as providing free dev devices and the like.
    Quote Originally Posted by grandebob View Post
    This has been brought up on twitter several times, so I thought I would bring up a more in-depth discussion on the benefits of Web OS Internals being bought by Palm or not. Here are some thoughts on why I think it would be a good or bad idea. Please comment or list your reasons for/against.

Reasons to buy them out:
    They have a proven track record of doing amazing things with Web OS.
    They have a deep understand of how Web OS works.
    They have invented awesome technologies around Web OS.
    They are smart and thoughtful about everything they do.

Reasons not to buy them out or hire them individually:
    They are independent. If they do something wrong, Palm is not at fault.
    They are open source. If they do something right, Palm can adopt their code into a future update.
    Hiring Key developers away could cripple the some what small organization and potentially stifle their creativity.
    Who said they were for sale?

Reason not to buy them: I was not aware that they were a publicly traded or privately owned company/organisation (Rod please clarify).

I don't think webos-internals could ever be 'bought' as their goals are for open-source development. And this is very evident on many of their projects, including their willingness to have new developers to help.

However if Palm/HP were to offer members of webos-internals job/advisory positions then I for one would congratulate them
  5.    #5  
    These guys do bring huge value to the community, no debate about that. The real question is does that value scale for mass market consumption? I'm not smart enough to answer that.

I think an ongoing relationship between Palm and the home brew community would benefit every one. Getting them 1.4.5 before the rest of the general populace is a perfect example. If they happen to make large, regular donations, all the better
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    they should contract them to create a skunk works. they should flat out hire Jason.
    If you're on Facebook, you should join this group.... I did!!

Palm needs to hire Jason Robitaille | Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=133622476652994&ref=ts
    Quote Originally Posted by KnoxBNYC View Post
    If you're on Facebook, you should join this group.... I did!!

Honestly, I absolutely love Palm and would jump at the chance if they offered.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Having Homebrew is a great asset. They can push the envelope, make mistakes, and find stumbling blocks. Palm can then incorporate the successful improvements, while avoiding damaging webOS's reputation with problems and errors.

I think Palm should give all the support possible (early access to builds, and new hardware) to the group without compromising their independence.

Jason is brilliant and should be hired simply to because he is an awesome developer. I'd hate to lose him from Homebrew, but the man is going to work somewhere. Better to have him at Palm than at a competitor.
    When will you people learn:

Jason != webOS-Internals

Get it though your heads!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Hey, then you could work on integrating Preware into the OS for us

Cheers mate.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    If everyone that's used Jason's webOSQI donated just 5 dollars to him, he would not have to work. Thanks for all of your hard work Jason!

Kewl, 2K!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Don't forget there is a facebook group dedicated to getting Jason hired. Be sure to join it. If it worked for getting Betty White on SNL, it should get Jason hired and the rest of his education at Stanford...

If I knew how to post a link to a facebook group, I would. You can search for it, or someone will probably see this reminder and post it...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Don't forget there is a facebook group dedicated to getting Jason hired. Be sure to join it. If it worked for getting Betty White on SNL, it should get Jason hired and the rest of his education at Stanford...

If I knew how to post a link to a facebook group, I would. You can search for it, or someone will probably see this reminder and post it...
    Like the person 6 posts before yours?
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Hey, then you could work on integrating Preware into the OS for us

Cheers mate.

-- Rod
    Rod, I think you need to take a 'vacation' to Sunnyvale and dig into making this happen. So many Pre/Pixi users are missing out on the awesomeness that is Preware
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post

Jason != webOS-Internals

What makes you think we don't know that? Chill!

or various other homebrew developers such as Jason R..
    What I said for Jason goes for webOS Internals too. I don't think that webOS Internals would object if HP/Palm donated some equipment to their cause.

Jason != webOS-Internals

Uhmm... no one said Jason = webOS Internals. They just said he contributed to Homebrew.

Jason != webOS-Internals

Or even Janson ∉ webOS-Internals.

Some clarification from another thread ( from October last year )

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    10/07/2009, 02:42 PM
    You do realise that all the patches that are packaged up for use by WebOS Quick Install (a tool written by Jason) and Preware (a tool written by the WebOS Internals team, not by Jason) are actually written by a whole heap of different developers, and only a few of them are actually written by Jason?

You also may not realise that the decision to use the open standard patch format for these tweaks and patches was made by the WebOS Internals team (not by Jason), and the wiki in which these tweaks and patches were originally contributed is maintained by the WebOS Internals team (not by Jason) and assistance to the authors of all these patches was done primarily by members of the WebOS Internals team in the #webos-internals IRC channel (not by Jason).

You also may not realise that the AutoPatch technology which allows these patches to be turned into installable packages was created by the WebOS Internals team (not by Jason).

You also may not realise that the negotiations that allowed an open standard homebrew package format that supports themes and patches were led by the WebOS Internals team (not by Jason, who was actually arguing against such a format at the start), and the servers which host all the packages, themes and patches in the feeds at preware.org were paid for, were set up by, and are maintained by the WebOS Internals team (not by Jason).

You also may not realise that the conception, design, implementation and maintenance of the Preware application is done by the WebOS Internals team (not by Jason).

Don't get me wrong, Jason does great things with WebOS Quick Install, and he has worked hard to package up these patches as tweaks that can be applied easily with that tool, and he does have a lot of original work and effort in other things that WebOS Quick Install does. But don't make the mistake of thinking that the person who has done the front-end of one tool is responsible for everything behind it and other tools and infrastructure that he has made it compatible with.

And we do know that Jason has not tried to take credit for anything that he has not done. He's a good guy and he and the WebOS Internals team collaborate well together.

-- Rod
    Last edited by johncc; 07/09/2010 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Put a date in the quote to make it clear that it was a bit dated
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    Having Homebrew is a great asset. They can push the envelope, make mistakes, and find stumbling blocks. Palm can then incorporate the successful improvements, while avoiding damaging webOS's reputation with problems and errors.

I think Palm should give all the support possible (early access to builds, and new hardware) to the group without compromising their independence.

Jason is brilliant and should be hired simply to because he is an awesome developer. I'd hate to lose him from Homebrew, but the man is going to work somewhere. Better to have him at Palm than at a competitor.
    IIRC, many non-Palm developers are given early access to planned releases, that is how they can get the patches ready for when a release hits the OTA update servers.

One other thing to consider is that the people involved in the webos-internals/homebrew community if it's like any other open source community, work on what interests them or what they find to be cool. As an employee, they would have to work on whatever project they've been assigned, which may or may not be something they find to be cool (or a project that just sucks rocks). They may want to keep their day job and have their webos work be their "fun time" instead of "the job". Also, I don't know if HP/Palm has any official policy about not contributing to open source projects on ones own spare time, but many companies do. It would be a shame if someone was hired by Palm and have their homebrew contributions cease until they left the company.
    Just to reiterate: I know webOS Internals is many people and that there are many more who have contributed to Homebrew. I want to thank ALL of you. You are simply amazing to me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast