Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Trying to get Preware on my new Pre but despite following the insructions I seem to be having an issue. I downloaded the necessary files. Loaded novacmd and it is running in my services. I plug my pre in and there's no dialog box asking me to Just charge or USB drive. Outside of developer mode I get these prompts and on another machine I get the prompt. WebOsquickinstall does not recognize a device is present and all I get is a new hardware found 'Pre' but no path for drivers to point my windows xp towards. What am I doing wrong?

I get the dialog when developer mode is disabled on the machine that has issues. Just not when it's enabled.

Edit: Solved this issue
    Last edited by wyk3d; 07/08/2010 at 02:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    So after some creative windows driver installation I get the prompt on my phone for just charge/usb. What i do not get is a device connection in WebOsquickinstall. Novocom is running, and for good measure i restarted the service. The phone is in developer mode and i've disabled and enabled it just to make sure. Thoughts?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    yeah nevermind, the installation of novacom will not persist. I can get the just charge to show if i manually install the driver when i get the prompt for new hardware. When i reboot and try again i get the same prompt to reinstall new hardware and no prompt on my phone for justcharge/usb.
    Quote Originally Posted by wyk3d View Post
    yeah nevermind, the installation of novacom will not persist. I can get the just charge to show if i manually install the driver when i get the prompt for new hardware. When i reboot and try again i get the same prompt to reinstall new hardware and no prompt on my phone for justcharge/usb.
    What OS is running on your PC? I saw this with Win7 until I checked the box telling Windows not to ask me again. That solved it for me.

Somehow Win7 (but not XP) sees the phone as a modem and tries to install a driver. There must be a chip in the Pre that is also used in something else that supports DUNS networking. Try telling windows to stop asking and see if that helps.

There is a patch you can add that defaults to "just charge" that may also streamline your process.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    running WinXP media center. I think I managed to force it to recognize and prompt for just charge/USB by throwing the inf into the windows directory but still getting the no device found issue in quick install. I verified i am in developer mode via another machine so its just this computer that is giving me issues.

I've reinstalled novacom, restarted the service, rebooted, etc etc no luck.
    make sure the phone isn't connected when you reboot.

Also, make sure you are using a Palm-branded cable. I've noticed that some of the cheap ebay cables I have don't recognize the phone - even though it is charging. There is a newer USB spec that seems to make a difference with smartphone usb cables. the same is true for my blackberry. I'm not smart enough to know the difference, I just remember to use the Palm or Blackberry branded cables and that solved the problem...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    its completely isolated to this particluar machine. I managed to steal my roomates computer long enough to get preware on but I would really like this to work with this machine as well. Cable is straight from palm.
    I had the same exact problem last week.. Check in device manger on your pc to see if icon saying pre is enable. If not, then go into control panel and erase Palm Webos novacomb, reboot pc and then see if that work. If that doesn't work.. Then go to webosqi and download back novacomb, which will put novacomb back on your pc, and also visible in control panel.

Cheers!
    Hmm... I have the same problem. The solution described above did not effect... The problem started after update to OS 1.4.5... There is no pop-up "usb drive/just charge" after connection Pre to PC and device charges.
    Last edited by slawlang; 07/09/2010 at 06:19 AM.
    TX => Treo680 => PalmPre(-)WebOS2.1 => HP Pre3