Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Okay, first of all do you really think Google is purposely excluding WebOS? No. It's not some conspiracy to stop the rise of WebOS. The fact of the matter is, WebOS' browser isn't up to snuff and doesn't support a lot of the "standards".
    think yu might wanna check into this one remember the google search problem? Google & WebOs = bad relationship ..... Google maps, google search, and now mobile youtube........
    I don't understand the problem... m.youtube.com displays just fine on my pixi.
    Okay, first of all do you really think Google is purposely excluding WebOS? No. It's not some conspiracy to stop the rise of WebOS. The fact of the matter is, WebOS' browser isn't up to snuff and doesn't support a lot of the "standards".
    What exactly are you going off of to say that the WebOS browser isn't up to snuff? The browser (like mentioned by another poster) is based off of webkit, much like the other latest model next-gen phones out there. If not on the same level as the others, but possibly even better. So again I ask...what are you basing on this claim that the WebOS browser isn't up to par with market standards?
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    I don't understand the problem... m.youtube.com displays just fine on my pixi.
    it works, but it isn't the cool updared version that iPhone and Android users get to use. That's the whole point of this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrok View Post
    it works, but it isn't the cool updared version that iPhone and Android users get to use. That's the whole point of this thread.
    How exactly is the Android and iPhone version different? Could you post any screenshots?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    iPhone/iPod Touches and Android phones get the first and more Touch Screen friendly UI. WebOS and other devices get the older mobile site, which has two versions, one Touch site, shown, and another d-pad navigation one. I prefer the new UI, it has a lot of refinement in how it all flows together in comparison to the old Touch UI site.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jhearne86 View Post
    iPhone/iPod Touches and Android phones get the first and more Touch Screen friendly UI. WebOS and other devices get the older mobile site, which has two versions, one Touch site, shown, and another d-pad navigation one. I prefer the new UI, it has a lot of refinement in how it all flows together in comparison to the old Touch UI site.
    ah. guess i'm just not a youtube "power" user. it all seems to work fine the way it is. for folks like me, the issue just seems like manufactured hype and/or outrage.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    ah. guess i'm just not a youtube "power" user. it all seems to work fine the way it is. for folks like me, the issue just seems like manufactured hype and/or outrage.
    1. If it worked fine the way it was, Google wouldn't have updated it.

2. Look at the bigger picture. If webOS is going to survive and try to compete as an OD equal or superior to Android and Google phones, we need to pressure Google to treat it as such, otherwise they'll continue to use their position to hamper competition.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I'm happier with the old. I like the layout of the new one (on my android tablet) but they didn't put "New Videos" under the subscription section. Big fail in my opinion. I'm pretty positive I didn't overlook it too.
    Thank me if I helped you.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    1. If it worked fine the way it was, Google wouldn't have updated it.
    the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" has rarely applied in the software/website arena. for practically every useful update, there is a "new coke" out there somewhere.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I'm no power user, but I do have a YT account and I would like to easily get to all I need to from my phone. The current site is a tad clunky feeling and the app doesn't support accounts (aside from simple uploading).

It wasn't broken, but it wasn't all that great either IMO.
    Looking at the screenshots, I don't see a huge difference. But I don't use Youtube all that often either. Would be nice if the actual Youtube app was more functional (i.e. showed your account, uploads, favorites, etc.) which would make the mobile site a bit less important.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Everyone knows there's a video at the source you can look at right? One that goes through the entire UI differences? So you don't have to look or beg people to post screenshots?
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I think everyone is overreacting.. How many times have something not worked on Web OS for a time period, then all of a sudden we get word that its now working perfectly.

Secondly Google doesn't have to support anything if they don't want to. Its just a fact.

I say be patient I'd bet that they would correct it shortly.
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdcamjc View Post
    I think everyone is overreacting.. How many times have something not worked on Web OS for a time period, then all of a sudden we get word that its now working perfectly.
    You know why it started working perfectly? Because people complained, or as you called it, "overreacted".
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I think those of you who think the differences are minimal are missing the big picture of what's changed. The new mobile youtube is no longer dependant on the youtube app for displaying videos. Which means that you can get higher quality videos delivered faster. The codecs in the youtube app were optimized (according to youtube) for EDGE. The new youtube uses much more modern, better compressed, and higher quality codecs, that work well on 3G speeds.

Long and short: this is better not just because the new mobile youtube is laid out better on the page. It's better because it does a better job of it's primary role: delivering video.

More here: http://phandroid.com/2010/07/07/new-...oss-platforms/
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I would have to agree with you somewhat, people seem to forget that google fixed their site after people complained about it not working... You really thing Google knew it wasn't working before we told them? Probably not! Google isn't against us.
    Quote Originally Posted by mindonmillions08 View Post
    think yu might wanna check into this one remember the google search problem? Google & WebOs = bad relationship ..... Google maps, google search, and now mobile youtube........
    Google Search was fixed, they had no idea it wasn't working on webOS until a couple of us started a thread in the google support forums about it, as soon as we did, a google employee responded and got right into it and fixed it with in a day or so, so why not do the same here and stop acting like this is a conspiracy??
    Just because WebOS [and] its browser is built on top of the WebKit engine doesn't mean it supports everything. Take a look at the gelocation API which is supported by WebKit but not supported by WebOS' browser.
    Sounds more like the WebOS browser is missing a necessary component for this to work as a few pointed out, it would go there directly if everything needed existed on our browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Sounds more like the WebOS browser is missing a necessary component for this to work as a few pointed out, it would go there directly if everything needed existed on our browser.
    There are many sites where webOS would display perfectly, they just fail to acknowledge that webOS exists and thus, give it the mobile version.

The geolocation feature was a minor part of buzz that didn't hold back the entirety of Buzz and after pressure, Google now redirects webOS users to the more appropriate mobile version of Buzz.

And if there is a feature "missing", then we get Google to fess up as to what it is. But it's more likely Google didn't even bother to take the time to see or look at alternate solutions. Personally, I'm not trying to jump ship to Android or iphoneOS, so the options are either pressure Palm to fix what's missing or pressure Google to accomodate other phone platforms and given Google's history, the latter is what it's going to take more than the former as Google routinely acts like the phone doesn't exist.

We can argue because it's because webOS is subpar or because its marketshare is laughable, but at the end of the day, if what we as users are left with is inferior support from major players, then it's stupid to continue to use webOS. If you're going to use webOS, you should try at all opportunities to get it recognized; otherwise, just admit the OS is crap, unworthy of note, and flush it. I don't want to do that, so if it's a problem, just scroll on and stop telling everyone to settle.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast