1.    #1  
    Dear all,

Iīm new and donīt know whether this is the right forum to post..
    Yesterday I installed webOSquickinstaller, several homebrew apps, preware, patches...
    Since this morning my pre doesnīt work at all anymore. Which means "at all!".
    I canīt alter any settings in the device itself nor via usb connecition as my macbook doesnīt find the device via USB. In one word, it seems to be totally mashed.
    I even canīt uninstall anything. Wuuh, I need some help, please as I have no idea what to do now!

Thanks and regards
    Michael
    Could you give a little more detail please to how it isn't working!
    What homebrew stuff did you install specifically?
    Have you pulled the battery and then rebooted?
    You might have to doctor : http://ws.palm.com/webosdoctor/sorry.htm
    And you might need to follow the recovery procedure: How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    But please give a much more detailed if you want further help.
    FWIW ... I believe Preware, patches and homebrew apps have all been pretty stable. Certainly there's some risk and the occasional "bad" piece of code ... but that's the exception.

So, as the previous poster noted, you probably need to dig a little (lot?) deeper to find exactly which piece has "mashed" your Pre. One option is to use webOS Doctor to restore your phone and then try reinstalling things in a slightly slower and more orderly fashion.
    Also, the word Homebrew is both plural and singular.
    you didn't install more than one theme did you? i hear this causes problems
    The doctor has the remedy,for sure.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for your inspiration first! :-)

Yes, I did install more than 1 theme (well, uninstalled the first one, then installed another one). However, I tried to install about 50 patches at once, maybe that was a little to much for my Pre??
    Anyway, I fixed the problem finally calling the Pre-Hotline (which cost me
    19,- €). Edit: Ver.., Iīve I had just read the WebOS internals...

As I told you my Pre freezed entirely, even the doctor did not bring any help.
    I have to note that the doctor did not work with my MacOS, as the device was not found after I connected it via USB.
    So I was asked to try it with Windows XP (which I fortunally run with Parallels) and, wonder, it worked:
    I had to put the battery out of my pre WHILE I pushed the upper volume button on the device! (still being connected via USB and running the doctor on XP). The Pre was recognized from the doc and I could start the rebooting process (and put the battery in again).
    So, this was the solution of my problem, it cracked my nerves, though.

My Pre is running fine again, BUT (:-)): As I now know how to deal with the prob, I wanted to reinstall Preware in order to optimize my device again, of course!
    Now, however, I cannot install Preware anymore and donīt know, why. Installed WebOSquickinstall and the doctor again, but my Mac doesnīt find the Pre. It seems to be because the novacom driver misses. I tried to download it via the path mentioned to use in WebOsquickinstall. It doesnīt work, though. And Iīve no idea, why! Tried to download the driver from the net for MacOS, but didnīt find it!!
    Have you guys any idea what I could try?

Sorry for the long explanation, but you are the only ones I can ask for help!
    Kind regards from Frankfurt :-)
    Sonnendeck
    Last edited by Sonnendeck1979; 07/09/2010 at 03:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnendeck1979
    My Pre is running fine again, BUT (:-)): As I now know how to deal with the prob, I wanted to reinstall Preware in order to optimize my device again, of course!
    Now, however, I cannot install Preware anymore and donīt know, why. Installed WebOSquickinstall and the doctor again, but my Mac doesnīt find the Pre. It seems to be because the novacom driver misses. I tried to download it via the path mentioned to use in WebOsquickinstall. It doesnīt work, though. And Iīve no idea, why! Tried to download the driver from the net for MacOS, but didnīt find it!!
    Have you guys any idea what I could try?
    Firstly, make sure your pre is still in dev mode.
    On the mac you should find a folder named 'Palm, Inc' you can install novacom from that folder.
    There are a few mac specific threads concerning wosqi, they may have a better answer than me.
    Lastly you could try doing it on win xp.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    There are posts in the WebOS Quick Install thread by Mac users who have had issues. You might find solutions there.

Otherwise, you can use the Preware standalone installer. Instructions here: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    On the mac you should find a folder named 'Palm, Inc' you can install novacom from that folder.
    I do, but it only runs in the classic environment which my Mac does not support anymore.
    Canīt I download it from somewhere?
    Apple broke the link....wants you to get an iPhone.....J/K...lol.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne173 View Post
    Apple broke the link....wants you to get an iPhone.....J/K...lol.
    Apple is about to scare me as they overtook MS. Now they do the same mistakes like MS: Being ignorant!
    Last edited by Sonnendeck1979; 07/12/2010 at 07:38 AM.
  13.    #13  
    Finally solved the problem.
    I used my friendīs MacBook and it worked very well. I donīt know why, but I donīt have to understand everything.