Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello, all. I've spend some time tonight reading through all the informative threads on patches, Preware, webOS Quick Installer, etc. and I think I'm going to have to get in on the fun after 1.4.5 is pushed (can't think of a reason to do it if Verizon is going to release the update in the next couple weeks).

Thanks to all of you that have put in time and effort to develop the apps and also to try to explain them to non-techies like me. The "dumbed down," step-by-step directions are really helpful.

I'm looking forward to having the launcher automatically start when I start the phone, having 4x4 icons in the launcher, and maybe - if I get really brave - even overclocking my Pre Plus with the 800/500 uberGovnah suite of installs. It'll be like having a whole new phone six months after buying the device.

One quick question that came to mind when reading about Preware - do I need to put the phone into "developer" mode when installing stuff from Preware? I don't remember reading that I needed to, but thought I'd ask just to be sure.

Thanks again to everyone that contributes on these forums. I'm a Palm loyalist that just discovered this community a few weeks ago. I've been checking back every day since and really enjoy the discussions -- even the "so long, Palm!" threads.
    The phone will already be in Developer Mode if you use WebOSQI. Just chose it from the the library in WOSQI and download it to the phone. Get familiar with downloading and using WOSQI and your good. Not by a computer right now to get you too the menu faster but search the forum for instructions. WOSQI, Preware, and Homebrew have kept me sticking with Palm. I'm not a tech freak but I figured it out. Happy brewing.....u should have done it sooner IMHO.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Yes, you'll need to put it in developer mode, using the "updownupdown" thing you've probably read about. You'll also have to closely follow the directions for installing Novacom. There's a bit of instruction-following, but once you're there, it's smooth sailin', Preware is your friend, it's like an alternate app catalog. and super easy. And as you've probably surmised, the risk is very very low. I think you'll be glad you joined the dark side. Don't be afraid to ask questions along the way. I just wanted to point out that after the initial round of specific installation blah-de-blahs... the everyday operation, patch installation, homebrew apps... it's all a breeze.
    Last edited by neve; 07/07/2010 at 01:59 AM.
    plus when you dr now, the palm backup works freaking awesome! Some of us early adopters had the joys of it not working too well.
    Homebrew has opened the flood gates of possibilities with webos, it's just a shame that people think patches and what not void your warranty (ok overclocking and rooting does) but not only does homebrew NOT void your warranty (aside from previously mentioned) palm is supportive of it.

What more can really be said?
    why wait for 1.4.5? AUPT will protect your phone, at least for patches. You're right about it *possibly* not being worth the trouble for the overclocking, but just for the homebrew apps and patches, theres not going to be any difference between now and after 1.4.5.
    Quote Originally Posted by rgisraelsen View Post
    why wait for 1.4.5? AUPT will protect your phone, at least for patches. You're right about it *possibly* not being worth the trouble for the overclocking, but just for the homebrew apps and patches, theres not going to be any difference between now and after 1.4.5.
    I agree. There really is no reason to wait for an update, and the sooner you get started, the sooner you will be able to see the benefits of customizing your phone with patches/tweaks. It will be very helpful that you have read up on homebrew, but really the only way to get truly comfortable with it is to actually do it. Don't worry, your phone will be safe, and there's always the good Dr. if you have a problem. I would say dive right in, the water's great!
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    I'd suggest installing preware with the standalone installer...

- It pretty much does everything for your and the directions are to the 'T'

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
  8.    #8  
    I was under the impression that all patches had to be removed before updates were pushed, so I wasn't going to bother with them until after 1.4.5. But if you're telling me that I can install patches and not have to uninstall them before getting the new update, I probably will get started right away.

Thanks to everyone that has replied. I am looking forward to joining the "homebrew" user community.
    Last edited by AZBigE; 07/07/2010 at 11:32 AM.
    there are still some issues with some of the patches not working well with AUPT, there was a front page story yesterday or the day before that had a link to a patch compatibility list, as well as a link to "patches that must be removed prior to OTA update (via webosroundup)". Can't post a hot link, by the article was titled "wait for webOS 1.4.5 continues, but the SDK is available now". Miht want to look at those two compatibility links before you jump in thinking that ALL patches will be safe with AUPT.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBigE View Post
    One quick question that came to mind when reading about Preware - do I need to put the phone into "developer" mode when installing stuff from Preware? I don't remember reading that I needed to, but thought I'd ask just to be sure.
    You don't need to be in developer mode to install stuff from preware. Preware makes it very simple, its just like using the app cataloge.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Check the first post for a short list of patches you should avoid installing before the update: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2539645

You can install anything else safely.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cas_esq View Post
    Check the first post for a short list of patches you should avoid installing before the update:

You can install anything else safely.
    Thanks for the link. I don't plan to install any of those patches, at least initially, so I'll consider getting the homebrew ball rolling before I get 1.4.5 pushed from VZW.

One question, what is AUPT?
    Thanks for the link. I don't plan to install any of those patches, at least initially, so I'll consider getting the homebrew ball rolling before I get 1.4.5 pushed from VZW.

One question, what is AUPT?
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...echnology.html
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

14.    #14  
    Thanks! I hadn't heard that before nor did I read that thread in my background reading on patches/homebrew. Thanks for the link. I have no idea how AUPT works, but understand why it's necessary.
    Thanks! I hadn't heard that before nor did I read that thread in my background reading on patches/homebrew. Thanks for the link. I have no idea how AUPT works, but understand why it's necessary.
    There is a lot to read and a lot to absorb out there. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've been through this since the beginning and there is SO much that I don't know. We are all learning, and hopefully having a blast doing so!

16.    #16  
    I'm downloading "the Doctor" in anticipation of putting Preware on my phone tonight before I go to bed. I'll probably download a patch or two, also.

Thanks for the encouragement.

One quick question -- do I need to run some sort of backup app first before installing patches from Preware or does my auto-backup to my Palm profile take care of everything I need?

I'm now downloading something called novacmd (sp?). Hope that's right.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    One quick question -- do I need to run some sort of backup app first before installing patches from Preware or does my auto-backup to my Palm profile take care of everything I need?

I'm now downloading something called novacmd (sp?). Hope that's right.
    You're on the right track. As far as backups go, the phone's auto backup feature should be backing up your Palm Profile every 24 hours. You can look at the app and see when the last backup occurred. To backup additional data, you can look into Save/Restore [http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2321414] and the Pre Backup Utility [http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...p-utility.html], both available through Preware. (By the way, I commend you for doing your own research. It's the best way to learn about your device.)

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
    webos20090606 brings up dev mode
  19.    #19  
    Ok, I got into developer mode, although it didn't ask me if I wanted to just charge the battery or go into USB mode. It quickly put up the "battery charging" notification just above the gesture area, though, so I assume it's not in USB mode. My desktop didn't alert me to a new USB device, either.

Now it's downloading webOS Doctor (again). I just did this but must have saved it in the wrong folder, so I'm downloading again.

I still feel like I'm headed in the right direction.

Also, cas_esq, thanks for the response on the backup utility. I checked the other day and it performs a backup daily and has consistently since I bought the phone. I'll look into the save/restore and backup utilities available via Preware once I get that installed.
  20.    #20  
    I downloaded webOS Quick Installer, web OS Doctor (twice), and followed the directions at the WebOS Internals page on how to install Preware; however, something happened with novacomd and WebOS Quick Install is now stuck in a continuous loop trying to connect to the device.

Both times novacomd tried to load, I received an error message and a request to report it to Microsoft. The second time, while WebOS Quick Install was running, I also received a black DOS command screen that quickly closed and I couldn't read what it said.

So now I'm stuck with WebOS Quick Installer running on my desktop in a continuous loop unable to find my phone (and not responding when I try to X out of the "connecting to phone" window) and my phone is in developer mode connected to the desktop via the USB cable.

Anyone have advice on next steps? Can I unplug the phone safely? Can I try to end the WebOS Quick Install program and start the process for loading Preware to the phone again? Should I do both, reconnecting the phone to the USB port first?

I had a feeling this wouldn't be completely smooth sailing!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast