Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Yeah your phone is doing the exact same thing mine is. No prompt for just charge/usb after enterig developer mode and the instant lightning bolt on the battery which near as i can tell is actually not charging the battery unless the % going down means something different in palm world. When I tried to install novacomd i had Microsoft info error as well. Basically mirroring exactly whats happening to me in all respects. Would love to hear from some more seasoned professionals on whats going on.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by wyk3d View Post
    Yeah your phone is doing the exact same thing mine is. No prompt for just charge/usb after enterig developer mode and the instant lightning bolt on the battery which near as i can tell is actually not charging the battery unless the % going down means something different in palm world. When I tried to install novacomd i had Microsoft info error as well. Basically mirroring exactly whats happening to me in all respects. Would love to hear from some more seasoned professionals on whats going on.
    Did you just unplug your phone? Did it have any negative effects?

I think I'm going to have to cntrl+alt+del to get WebOS Quick Installer to stop, too.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Just disconnect the phone. It won't hurt anything.

You can try to end the program using the Task Manager, but I suspect that you will need to shutdown the computer.

Try again and report back on your results.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
  4.    #24  
    I think I've figured out the issue. It took some major coding, decompiling, and deep reading of the WebOS code to figure it out.

I'll report back with my major technological fix in a second if this works.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Yeah no negative effects to just killing the process and unplugging the phone. I did manage to get the just charge/usb prompt to show. Still battling with the no device found issue.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    A small number of things can cause the device not to be detected. The two most common are the phone not being in dev mode and a failed installation of Novacomd. Those two issues should be explored and addressed before you look much deeper.

7.    #27  
    It worked! My super technological fix was successful. I now have Preware.

For all you unsophisticated noobs out there, here are the steps to solve the issue that I described above. Please pay attention as this is a bit complicated for a layperson:

1. While leaving the USB cord plugged into the phone, remove the opposite end of the USB cord from the wall socket coverter.

2. Plug the end of the USB cable you just unplugged into an empty USB port on your computer.

3. Open WebOS Quick Install.

4. Wait for novacom to alert you that it found a new device -- your phone.

5. Follow the steps to download Preware to your phone using WebOS Quick Install.

6. Feel free to perform steps 2 & 1 in reverse, if desired, after you've successfully loaded Preware to your phone.

Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Good for you! You're a genius.

Enjoy Preware. I'm off to bed.

9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by cas_esq View Post
    Good for you! You're a genius.

Enjoy Preware. I'm off to bed.
    Thanks, cas_esq. I'm sorry I wasted your time with my stupidity. I really appreciate you hanging around to provide feedback.

I got so caught up in the new technical stuff -- WebOS Quick Installer, WebOS Doctor, novacom, etc. -- that I forgot the most basic of steps.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Glad to hear you were able to resolve your issue. That's not doing anything for me but making the annoying usb connect noise. The search continues :P
  11.    #31  
    Glad to hear you were able to resolve your issue. That's not doing anything for me but making the annoying usb connect noise. The search continues :P
    Make sure you're waiting to tell WOSQI to install until after all the annoying USB connect noises are done. I had to cntrl+alt+del to shut down WOSQI, restart it, and wait a bit. Once the USB connection was finally established, it worked like a charm.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBigE View Post
    Thanks, cas_esq. I'm sorry I wasted your time with my stupidity. I really appreciate you hanging around to provide feedback.

I got so caught up in the new technical stuff -- WebOS Quick Installer, WebOS Doctor, novacom, etc. -- that I forgot the most basic of steps.
    You didn't waste my time. The clothes in the dryer wasted my time. Observing your progress helped pass the time. G'night!

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Make sure you're waiting to tell WOSQI to install until after all the annoying USB connect noises are done. I had to cntrl+alt+del to shut down WOSQI, restart it, and wait a bit. Once the USB connection was finally established, it worked like a charm.
    Yeah waiting, get the just charge prompt. I open up the webos stuff and no device found.
  14.    #34  
    Yeah waiting, get the just charge prompt. I open up the webos stuff and no device found.
    Sorry to hear that, man. I think I've made it ABUNDANTLY clear with my mistakes that I'm not the guy to give you techie advice. Wish I was, but you'll have to wait for the experts (and I'm guessing most of them are sleeping at this time).

I hope you're successful. I've only added a couple patches to the phone so far and they're easy to install and very cool. My fav so far is 4x4 icons. Good luck.
    It worked! My super technological fix was successful. I now have Preware.

For all you unsophisticated noobs out there, here are the steps to solve the issue that I described above. Please pay attention as this is a bit complicated for a layperson:

1. While leaving the USB cord plugged into the phone, remove the opposite end of the USB cord from the wall socket coverter.

2. Plug the end of the USB cable you just unplugged into an empty USB port on your computer.

3. Open WebOS Quick Install.

4. Wait for novacom to alert you that it found a new device -- your phone.

5. Follow the steps to download Preware to your phone using WebOS Quick Install.

6. Feel free to perform steps 2 & 1 in reverse, if desired, after you've successfully loaded Preware to your phone.

Ahhhh, this gave me a good laugh this morning! Congrats on getting things to work, and welcome to the wonderful world of homebrew. I think you're going to like it here.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    I had some problems installing preware, similar to you guys. I had preware on fine, wiped my phone, and went to reinstall from a new computer and had these problems.

I'm not sure what os you're running on your computer (i've got win 7 x64), but I had some issues with the novacomd driver. Basically it wouldn't detect my phone.

This was a few months ago, and my memory is fuzzy, but it boiled down to an issue during the novacom driver install.

I fixed it by completely removing the driver from my computer, and restarting the entire process as listed in the webOS internals instructions. You can remove it via add/remove programs.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Ahhhh, this gave me a good laugh this morning! Congrats on getting things to work, and welcome to the wonderful world of homebrew. I think you're going to like it here.
    Glad my incompetence could be put to good use!
  18.    #38  
    Just a quick update. Twenty four hours into my homebrewing experience, I feel like a have a completely new phone. The first patch I downloaded from Preware was 4x4 icons in the app launcher. That has already saved me a ton of time. I also downloaded the a/p addition to the clock and the percentage left in the battery patches last night. Neither of those is mind blowing, but they are very nice add ons and make the phone feel more "complete."

Tonight, I brought in some efficiency/speed stuff. First, I made the icons load 4x faster. What a difference! I've also unthrottled my downloads and reduced the scrolling from 25 pixels to 15 pixels. Finally, I ended one of the biggest annoyances I had with my phone -- accidentally dialing numbers from the call log.

I must echo the poster that said I shouldn't have waited this long. I know why I did -- I was enjoying getting to know webOS and my new device for the first four or so months. But it is like a whole new experience now.

It has me thinking that, once 1.4.5 is (eventually) pushed, I might even try the overclocking stuff.

Thanks to everyone for their great advice and explanations. I feel like I've unlocked a whole new side of the Pre Plus that I didn't even know was there!
    Just a quick update. Twenty four hours into my homebrewing experience, I feel like a have a completely new phone. The first patch I downloaded from Preware was 4x4 icons in the app launcher. That has already saved me a ton of time. I also downloaded the a/p addition to the clock and the percentage left in the battery patches last night. Neither of those is mind blowing, but they are very nice add ons and make the phone feel more "complete."

Tonight, I brought in some efficiency/speed stuff. First, I made the icons load 4x faster. What a difference! I've also unthrottled my downloads and reduced the scrolling from 25 pixels to 15 pixels. Finally, I ended one of the biggest annoyances I had with my phone -- accidentally dialing numbers from the call log.

I must echo the poster that said I shouldn't have waited this long. I know why I did -- I was enjoying getting to know webOS and my new device for the first four or so months. But it is like a whole new experience now.

It has me thinking that, once 1.4.5 is (eventually) pushed, I might even try the overclocking stuff.

Thanks to everyone for their great advice and explanations. I feel like I've unlocked a whole new side of the Pre Plus that I didn't even know was there!
    Knew you would love it man. It really does seem like a new phone. Whenever I doctor my phone and go back to stock, I don't recognize what I'm working with and it drives me nuts.
    I've got some of the same patches you've got. If you don't mind, here are some other suggestions I have that you might find useful.
    Close slider to end calls. I almost always answer my phone and talk on it with the slider open, so this is a nice patch for me.
    Enable Add/Delete Pages. Allows you to create new pages in the launcher so you're not limited to 3. Useful if you have a ton of apps or if you just like organizing them. There are many other apps that modify the launcher even more and add more functionality. Check them out.
    Enable dialpad vibration. I hate using the phone and hearing a loud tone with every number I press. This gives haptic feedback and silences those tones.
    Enable landscape email. A feature that I can't believe still isn't standard in webOS. Almost a no-brainer.
    Match State to area code. See above. Not important if you don't get a lot of out of state calls, but I do, so...
    PDF Redux. Just makes the PDF app more functional and user friendly.

A couple of styling patchs I use:
    Glass effect: Makes the launcher look great. I'm not a fan of the grey.
    Hide quick launch bar. I like the look of a clean wallpaper, and you can always use the wave to launch an app on the bar, and just swipe up from the gesture area to open launcher.
    Remove Icon Tiles. I know what my apps are, and this really cleans things up with the 4x4 Icons v3 patch.

Finally, with QuickInstall, you can get rid of the ugly green dialer and make it anything you want. Go into Tweaks>Styling Mods>Change Dialer Background. Then get the wallpaper of your choice and you're set. Just make sure the file is 320x480 and is in .png format.

There is soooo much more than the above. You really need to check out UberKernel. Have fun experimenting. Chances are, if you think your phone is missing something, there is a patch or an app for it!
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Knew you would love it man. It really does seem like a new phone. Whenever I doctor my phone and go back to stock, I don't recognize what I'm working with and it drives me nuts.
    I've got some of the same patches you've got. If you don't mind, here are some other suggestions I have that you might find useful.
    Close slider to end calls. I almost always answer my phone and talk on it with the slider open, so this is a nice patch for me.
    Enable Add/Delete Pages. Allows you to create new pages in the launcher so you're not limited to 3. Useful if you have a ton of apps or if you just like organizing them. There are many other apps that modify the launcher even more and add more functionality. Check them out.
    Enable dialpad vibration. I hate using the phone and hearing a loud tone with every number I press. This gives haptic feedback and silences those tones.
    Enable landscape email. A feature that I can't believe still isn't standard in webOS. Almost a no-brainer.
    Match State to area code. See above. Not important if you don't get a lot of out of state calls, but I do, so...
    PDF Redux. Just makes the PDF app more functional and user friendly.

A couple of styling patchs I use:
    Glass effect: Makes the launcher look great. I'm not a fan of the grey.
    Hide quick launch bar. I like the look of a clean wallpaper, and you can always use the wave to launch an app on the bar, and just swipe up from the gesture area to open launcher.
    Remove Icon Tiles. I know what my apps are, and this really cleans things up with the 4x4 Icons v3 patch.

Finally, with QuickInstall, you can get rid of the ugly green dialer and make it anything you want. Go into Tweaks>Styling Mods>Change Dialer Background. Then get the wallpaper of your choice and you're set. Just make sure the file is 320x480 and is in .png format.

There is soooo much more than the above. You really need to check out UberKernel. Have fun experimenting. Chances are, if you think your phone is missing something, there is a patch or an app for it!
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to check out the patches that you use that I don't have yet. Regarding ending the call when the slider closes, I have to admit I don't really know if I usually talk with the slider open or closed. I'll have to pay more attention!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast