Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. tdogg0413's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
       #1  
    I'm not an Apple Hater, a PC hater, or any other ******. I believe each of these platforms have their merits, (I own and work on both mac and pc). I bought an Ipad for my father, and have the chance to play with it for a week before giving it to him, and I must say, what I wouldn't give to have WebOS capabilities on this thing!

    Pandora...playing music, awesome...now, can I read a book? Nope! (I know iOS4 solves this, but it's not out for the Ipad yet).
    Netflix...I was watching a movie, decided to check email, "minimized" and "dOH! movie had to be restarted!

    What I wouldn't give to swipe to go back while browsing,

    or minimize a card, then swipe to see what else I have open, or full swipe to change applications!


    I like mac, don't own an ipod or Iphone...hurry up HPalm! (and also, don't make the mistake of making the tablet or device 500! It's not worth it, don't even think a webos tablet would be worth it). I'd happily pay up to about 300!
  2. #2  
    I'm with ya... I'm definitely looking forward to a webOS tablet and hoping it is sleek and sexy and not a basic flat brick. An memory expansion slot and a user-accessible battery would be fantastic. Bring it on HPalm!
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by tdogg0413 View Post

    I like mac, don't own an ipod or Iphone...hurry up HPalm! (and also, don't make the mistake of making the tablet or device 500! It's not worth it, don't even think a webos tablet would be worth it). I'd happily pay up to about 300!
    A $300 tablet you must not be hoping for much
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by tdogg0413 View Post
    (and also, don't make the mistake of making the tablet or device 500! It's not worth it, don't even think a webos tablet would be worth it). I'd happily pay up to about 300!
    Why do you think a tablet would cost 300 when a small touchscreen smartphone (capable of less with less hardware) costs 500-600?
  5. bonekeep's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #5  
    I expect a webOS slate would be in the $500 range, but it sure would be nice if HP could come in at a $300 - $350 price point. I think Microsoft has shown that you can do very well with an ad campaign that focuses value pricing.
  6. #6  
    Two things:

    1. It is a lot harder to make something powerful, full-featured, and small. A cell phone is much harder to produce than a netbook.

    2. The fact that anyone even salivates for a WebOS, or Android, or WP7, or BB tablet device means that apple has already won the battle for mindshare.

    What some people actually want is an iPad without the Apple logo. But those tend to be religious objectors. The average person will seen the iPad and want one as is. They don't have any type of brand loyalty (or hatred) that makes them not want the Apple version, or that makes them want a brand X version.

    In fact, I think we are already close to iPad becoming the de facto name for the product category, like Kleenex. I suspect that by this time next year, there will be enough confusion in the market so that people will walk into Best Buy and ask for a Blackberry iPad.

    As for multitasking, the iPad will be on its second iteration of hardware and software before HP puts out a WebOS iPad. WebOS alone, will not be much of a differentiator. Better hope they have a more ambitious plan.
  7. #7  
    I too look forward to either a slate or tablet, but please... not a pad. We don't want to muddy the water and we don't want people to think of sanitary napkins.
  8. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #8  
    I use my pre alot at home where I could really use a tablet instead. I've considered getting an ipad or netbook and the advantage of the ipad is convenience for a premium price. But playing with the ipad, that big screen really feels wasted on an os that only shows one thing at a time, multitasking or not.
    Last edited by spare; 07/03/2010 at 07:47 PM.
  9. #9  
    Maybe they could come out with two different models? Ya know, kinda like the pixi and pre. One with more memory, a faster processor and maybe a larger screen (Pre) vs. a smaller, slower and less functioning tablet (pixi). That would give them the opportunity to get two devices in with a price range from 300-500 dollars.
  10. tdogg0413's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
       #10  
    All great points! First, I too think that something in the 300 - 400 price range is not that unrealistic, the first thing they will want to do is beat apple at the price point.

    I use my pre alot at home as well, having two versions, one "pre" like and like a Pixi? What would it take to make a "slider" that big? Makes me think of Flava Flav and his monster alarm clock!
  11. #11  
    I've returned my ipad only to wait for HP "pad"
    I like Ipad but there are so many restrictions
    I don't think the price will be cheaper than Ipad so much.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by tdogg0413 View Post

    I like mac, don't own an ipod or Iphone...hurry up HPalm! (and also, don't make the mistake of making the tablet or device 500! It's not worth it, don't even think a webos tablet would be worth it). I'd happily pay up to about 300!
    hahahaah $300? what do u want a tablet made of tissue paper? at least $400, well if u want something thats good quality.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    What some people actually want is an iPad without the Apple logo.
    That's BS. I don't mind the Apple logo nor am I an Apple hater, but I despise closed platforms. Maybe I'm just an uber geek, but I can't settle with the fact that iOS is so locked down that just about every simple feature that needs to be added to it costs 0.99$ or more. It's like a PayTV, not a computing platform, and that's what ****es me off. Even more, I don't like to be dragged into Jobs' shenanigans with Adobe... I want Flash, not just excuses and bragging about how HTML5 awesome is! While others get something for free just by visiting a website in their browser, iOS users get by buying an app - same functionality, different price.

    Just to add... I will not become an iSheep. And here's what I mean when I say that:
    - Jobs was ditching the idea of "apps" from the very beginning of the iPhone, until he could smell the green. The first iPhone versions didn't have any apps available at all, and Jobs encouraged that 3rd party developers create websites that had some sort of an iPhone-ish skin on top. (I believe that Bank of America was among the first to do something like this) Nowadays, there's an app for that... no exceptions.

    - Multitasking sucks... "Who wants a task manager?", "Battery hogging...", "Unnecessary"... those were Steve's words. What about iOS4? Well, now it's magical!

    - "Nobody reads books anymore"... Unless Apple can make a profit from it. Now eBooks are getting bought like hotcakes on the iPad.

    - You don't need a removable battery, it only clutters up the insides of the phone. (Waiting for Jobs to acknowledge that removable batteries are cool with him...)

    Essentially, whatever Jobs says is OK, is OK. If something was a no-go before, it can always get reinstated as the next big thing ("reinvented", "magical", you name it). I simply can't have that kind of a company providing me with support during my device's lifetime.
  14. #14  
    i've been a "mac" since 1989 or so and HATE the windows "fight to see who's boss" with the constant nagging and "are you SURE'" for every task attempted. what does it think? i'm a tard? waste of time.

    but i am an uber geek-ghoul and was so smitten with the little asus netbook when i saw the article in a tech mag. i HAD to have one "just because" it was cute and clever with memory being on sd cards making to potentially superfast.

    i finally got one when the price was cut on hsn.com because i have good credit with them and could finally afford to buy one for the sake of want and not need. i'm not making the ****ty disability pittance work like the gov says i should be able to and the luxury of $100/month x 3 months and ship before payment is awesome.

    the netbook has windows 7. MUCH less annoying than all its cousins and more mac or linux-like so its my fav toy.

    a tablet is clumsy to carry in a bag and could get easily damaged. plus its very limited in what it can do.

    i say a netbook that is an actual computer with web-os as a dual os with linux or win7 would be the ultimate panty wetter. lets start spreading rumors that h-palm has this in mind exactly and they will soon comply due to the magic of "power of suggestion" frenzy.
    Cat up a Treo (now on the Pre, yo!)
    Creepycat at Creepycast Podcast

    Palm user since "the one after the pilot" and still horde a drawer full of pda models as well as cradles and fold up keyboards because i was too greedy to let them "go" when they could have "went".
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bureX View Post
    That's BS. I don't mind the Apple logo nor am I an Apple hater,
    Let's see about that.


    Quote Originally Posted by bureX View Post
    I despise closed platforms.
    All closed platforms, or just Apple's? Do you have a game console? DVD player? BR player? Shall I go on?There are all kinds of closed platforms. Apple is the only company I have seen people make that argument against. But you're not an Apple hater...


    Quote Originally Posted by bureX View Post
    I don't like to be dragged into Jobs' shenanigans with Adobe...
    Job's shenanigans with Adobe? Really? What shenanigans would those be? You mean the ones where he promised you Flash for the last two years but keeps jerking you around like an isheep rag-doll? Oh, wait, that's Adobe that has been doing that. How do you like your Flash so far? I think you don't mind shenanigans at all. You just don't like Apple or SJ.

    Quote Originally Posted by bureX View Post
    Just to add... I will not become an iSheep...
    That's what I mean by religion. "I will not become an iSheep" is one of the favorite hymns of the anti-Apple church.

    Quote Originally Posted by bureX View Post
    I simply can't have that kind of a company providing me with support during my device's lifetime.
    Well, I guess You have proven me wrong. No anti-Apple sentiment here. Just a reasonable and unbiased look at the relative merits of different technologies. Enjoy your pPad.
  16. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #16  
    by your argument, pc is better than mac cuz it has more apps. Also, the ipads hardware limits it's apps ie. no front camera.

    but for me, if I can access everything out there on the web on my tablet, that's all the app I need on it. The browser on my phone is already my most used app by far despite being limited.
    Last edited by spare; 07/04/2010 at 08:50 PM.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    All closed platforms, or just Apple's? Do you have a game console? DVD player? BR player? Shall I go on?There are all kinds of closed platforms. Apple is the only company I have seen people make that argument against. But you're not an Apple hater...
    Let me be more specific about that... I hate all closed platforms that claim to be open and then apply distorted ways to create loopholes for "exceptions". I don't have a game console, but if I did, I would be pretty ****ed about Sony breaking some Linux distro compatibility on the PS3. (however, Sony has a clear stance here - it's for games) BR players play only BluRay media, and other specified formats, and that's stated on the box. Complaining about the fact that your BluRay player can't play VHS is nonsense. Apple, on the other hand, says everybody is welcome to develop for the AppStore and is supposed to give everybody an equal shot, but that's certainly not the case... they have a very discriminatory policy when it comes to approving apps and cringe on even the slightest sign of homebrewing. They have the option to deny any app access to the AppStore just because, or because they represent competition (Google Voice, media players, alternative browsers, plugins). Microsoft felt the same burn when IE or WMP were granted the "god app" status in Windows, much like iTunes and Safari are on the iPhone now and if Apple ever reaches a certain point of marketshare with the iPhone, antitrust lawsuits will flow in. Just because that moment hasn't come yet doesn't make it right.

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Job's shenanigans with Adobe? Really? What shenanigans would those be? You mean the ones where he promised you Flash for the last two years but keeps jerking you around like an isheep rag-doll?
    Palm and Adobe promised flash, and they demoed it. Sure, it hasn't been delivered yet, and that's not exactly something I'm glad about, but I don't see Rubinstein jumping on stage and bashing an entire industry with "screw flash, HTML5 is the future, trust me!". Shenanigans = denying the availability of Flash to consumers because there is a possibility someone might not use ObjectiveC to write iOS apps, or because it's a "massive battery and resource hog", or because you have some personal beef with Adobe. There are reasons, and then they are excuses, and I don't buy them.

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Well, I guess You have proven me wrong. No anti-Apple sentiment here. Just a reasonable and unbiased look at the relative merits of different technologies. Enjoy your pPad.
    Enjoy your straw man's argumentation.
  18. spud101's Avatar
    Posts
    868 Posts
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    #18  
    I agree with the OP. A slate with webOS is something I look forward too.

    I also toyed with an iPad for a week. I think that even more so than on an iPhone, requirement of TRUE multitasking is essential for this device type. I see myself using this thing in the living room, sitting on the couch watching TV, having the slate lying around, replacing my living room PC to cater for my browsing, emailing, IMing, Twittering needs and use it as a multimedia (e.g. Squeezebox) remote in the same time.

    Having it lying on the table with my IM app running in the background, a nice notification when I get new mail or new tweets and being able to just pause typing emails and switch (with the advanced app switch gesture) to a web browser is something WebOS can offer me as no other OS can! I really got tired of the cumbersome app switching on the iPad. OK it does not have iOS 4, but I don't think even iOS4 will be on par (user experience wise) with webOS multitasking, because of the quick app swithcing that webOS offers us.
    Additionally, especially for a device with this size of screen the gesture area was so much missed. On a smartphone/iPhone you can still reach the back button wherever it is located on the screen with your thumb when you hold the phone. On the iPad you really have to move your hand to the back button to press it. Although this sounds like not big of a deal, but I really got tired of all the "hand travelling" I needed to perform and the webOS backgesture already feels so natural and would come way more in handy on a slate, because you can keep holding the slate like you did and just use the thumb on a gesture area. The challenge here is to find the most optimal location for the gesture area, or maybe have more gesture areas.
  19. #19  
    I'm not sure who would buy a webOS tablet as a consumer device
    Honestly, I think it is a smartphone replacement more than it is a laptop replacement. Surf the web on an always on, handy tablet, my tiny phone, a computer anchored to the wall, or my slow booting short battery life laptop? Tablet no question.

    Same for lots of thing I do with technology

    Manage my todo list
    Organize my schedule
    Check email
    Read Facebook
    RSS feeds

    I can easily see my self with this mix of technology: high powered laptop, tablet, dumb or weak phone
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
  20. #20  
    Any rumours about HP coming out with a tablet with webOS anytime soon? Whoever mentioned returning their iPad to wait for HP to come out with one... how long you planning on waiting?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions