1.    #1  
    Hi again all,

From the beginning, of HP's surprise proposed and now complete purchase of Palm, I have maintained, that we need a great deal of webOS content.

Palm has the very basic issues partially handled, such as the Palm store and this site for downloading (and purchasing of course), apps.

The just bought a music streaming business. Which we all assume, would help make up for the problem in trying to use the Itunes store, with the Pre.

I have also maintained that Palm & HP, will have try to find a way to emulate Itunes and more.

I also have stated many, many times, that if needed Palm & HP will have to pay for apps, to be ported or pay for the porting personnel, of apps. These include those that are available for the Iphone, as well as the mountain of programs, we all had access to when we were using, the PalmOS system.

To my mind, the only way to get a solid piece of the mobile computing pie, is creating a pipeline of services. This will have to be started on ASAP, in order to have the groundwork done, so that when a slate or net book running webOS, comes into the market place, there will be apps to put on them.

This following article, apparently agrees with me. It is an interesting read. So relax and enjoy.

Take care & HAPPY BIRTHDAY, (4TH OF JULY) TO ALL OF US.

Jay

HP tablet wants to be like iPad, but needs content

by Clinton Stark

HP tablet wants to be like iPad, but needs content | SSC - All Things West Coast

HPís first attempt at an answer to Appleís iPad, was the lackluster Slate (powered by Microsoft Windows 7), essentially a laptop PC stripped of the keyboard. The reviews were poor, the thing didnít sell. Yesterday, the company announced it had completed its $1.2 billion acquisition of the financially challenged Palm. The crown jewel in the move, WebOS, which has received critical acclaim in devices such as the Palm Pre, should help HP complete part of the equation when it comes to successfully competing in the white-hot tablet market. But to really have a chance it needs content. And, ultimately, an answer to iTunes.

To date, no one has been able to put a dent in iTunes. Until HP, or someone else (Microsoft perhaps comes closest with Zune Marketplace), can provide an all-in-one alternative, then attempts to compete in the Tablet PC consumer market will be marginalized.

Initially an innocent music player that shipped with all Macs in 2001, iTunes has grown into a media juggernaut. Movies, television shows, podcasts, and, even University lectures are available with a few clicks. Although most of the content is free, the gravy (aka margin) is really in the licensing deals that Apple has continued to strike over the past several years. The head start on its competitors is akin to giving Usain Bolt a 50m handicap in the 100m dash. Hopeless, indeed.

Still, there are piece parts that could provide a Frankenstein patchwork of an alternative ecosystem. Hulu has become the go-to web destination for movies and television shows. Amazon has carved out a healthy MP3 and video download business. The challenge for HP, though, is controlling the game, and owning the margin. How can you successfully assemble a patchwork of content services when you donít control the plumbing? Thatís a risky proposition.

If HP has its eyes on the enterprise market, then its chances look much better. The HP WebOS should provide much of the corporate features that are lacking in the iPad, potentially making it a darling for IT organizations that value ďrobustnessĒ (security, failover, scalability) above all else. Boring, yes, but financially rewarding.

Iím routinely astounded at how often the tech giants overlook the value of content and user experience. Yes, CPU cycles are nice. More RAM and discrete graphics are always welcome. But as we used to say at Cisco, you donít win business based on ďspeeds and feedsĒ.

Part of the challenge is organizational structure. Apple is a design company. HP is an engineering company (as is Lenovo, for example). Put too many engineers in a room, and you get high performance. But more often than not, itís not useable in the hands of the everyday consumer. Many would gladly sacrifice some of the whiz-bang for an easy way to access last weekís episode of Glee. And, for now, Apple, with its content stranglehold thanks to iTunes, is the catís meow. With WebOS, HP has valuable IP. Letís just hope the ensuing products are not purely engineering driven.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    how do you think hp will integrate music/video purchasing on webos? Will they stay with amazon or integrate their own... That would add another piece to the ecosystem puzzle.

the music/audio streaming site can do music, but can it do video?

very exciting... The next few months are going to be great!
    Last edited by concept1; 07/03/2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: typo
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by concept1 View Post
    how do you think hp will integrate music/video purchasing on webos? Will they stay with amazon or integrate their own... That would add another piece to the ecosystem puzzle.

the music/audio streaming site can do music, but can it do video?

very exciting... The new few months are going to be great!
    Hi,

I must say you ask a great question. That being said, I don't yet, know. You are correct, that is another LARGE piece of the puzzle.

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I'm hoping for a marriage w/Amazon. I already have buy-in with the Kindle store that I'm reluctant to leave. Thankfully their mp3's are DRM free.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    I so agree. I though ipad was something I didn't need. I had work but me one. I can't put the damn thing down. I love it. I hav a non- phone iphone that I hated as a phone but carry for the apps. I just spent $100 on apps for the ipad. I would prefer web os of course, but it has to have apps to make it big. Unless I need to lightoom, photoshop or final cut pro again on a trip, I won't bring a laptop again. HP must have apps.
    Screw itunes, I buy from Amazon music, alot less money for the same music and I get the album art and everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by ****-richardson View Post
    I'm hoping for a marriage w/Amazon. I already have buy-in with the Kindle store that I'm reluctant to leave. Thankfully their mp3's are DRM free.
    +1

Amazon and HP is a serious heavy hitting lineup and could definitely have a go at the "champ" as it were. iTunes dominance came about because of the iPod's proliferation everywhere after Apples silhouette marketing onslaught. That combined with Apples aggressive pricing negotiations with the labels helped popularize "cheap music" (Note: the MusicMatch service let you buy digital music before Apple did, but the songs were not $.99/track)

Amazon is well established and already does OTA delivery to WebOS devices. An expansion to allow other media content to be downloaded would be a minor addition to the app.

Also due to the Palm\Amazon relationship, the fact there is no Kindle app (or an Amazon app for that matter) is a bit surprising (and confusing). If Kobo can do it, why not Amazon?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    +1

Amazon and HP is a serious heavy hitting lineup and could definitely have a go at the "champ" as it were. iTunes dominance came about because of the iPod's proliferation everywhere after Apples silhouette marketing onslaught. That combined with Apples aggressive pricing negotiations with the labels helped popularize "cheap music" (Note: the MusicMatch service let you buy digital music before Apple did, but the songs were not $.99/track)

Amazon is well established and already does OTA delivery to WebOS devices. An expansion to allow other media content to be downloaded would be a minor addition to the app.

Also due to the Palm\Amazon relationship, the fact there is no Kindle app (or an Amazon app for that matter) is a bit surprising (and confusing). If Kobo can do it, why not Amazon?
    HI all,

Great Idea!

take care, Jay
    Most of the stock functions of WebOs will need to be redone for the larger resolution. There are still gaps that need filled, but I am excited for a mobile tablet that would eat ipads.