Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Make sure your themes / OC are removed prior to updating. Also, DO not reapply OC after update due to possible incompatibility issues...FRAKK.
    You do Not have to remove Uberkernel and Govnah. They are over the air update compatible. When the update comes they will disable themselves and remain as 'placeholders'. When they are updated, you will be able to download the update automatically through Preware, the same way patches update.

Edit: I may have been wrong about the other kernels. Read the posts following me. Sorry about that
    Other Kernels must be removed for the system update. Uberkernel/Govnah is the ONLY OTA safe kernel.
    Last edited by SFHandyman; 07/02/2010 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Wrong info
    whats oc?should i also remove my patches?
    Every patch and kernel installed with Preware is OTA safe. The only thing you should consider removing, is your theme (and from experience, forgetting to do so will not frack the phone, however don't expect themeing to work like it did before).
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    Hi,
    the only patch I have got is "new card" or something like that to have more cards in launcher. Shall I remove this one before update? TIA
    Regards,
    Krecony
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Safe: all patches, apps and UberKernel + Govnah.

Not Safe: Themes and any other Kernel besides Uber.

You will have to re-update patches and UberKernal post 1.4.5 when they have been updated individually by the developers. Most of the patches are all ready to go. Some may take a few days.. .
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Hey Guys, im new to pre central (awesome place for information about almost everything, great!). got my phone on saturday, and im using preware pretty heavy since monday (yesterday my wife asked me what the hell i was doing with my celli in bed - i was installing apps and themes just for the fun of it). i have installed apps like transparent launcher, led, black theme and so on. is there a easy way how i can find out which apps i have to uninstall? i know themes and non-uberkernel-kernels have to be uninstalled, but how about the others?

edit: gnah, one minute too late, ignore my post then
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    You do Not have to remove Uberkernel and Govnah. They are over the air update compatible. When the update comes they will disable themselves and remain as 'placeholders'. When they are updated, you will be able to download the update automatically through Preware, the same way patches update.

Other Kernels must be removed for the system update. Uberkernel/Govnah is the ONLY OTA safe kernel.
    i included all oc as a general post as to not confuse anyone. some users may not even know if their kernal is uberkernal etc....
    thank you for clarifing
    Any Kernel installed using Preware is OTA-safe and can be left in place, not just Uber.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2534175

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The autobuilder is using the webOS 1.4.1 kernel source code to build temporary testing kernels for all the WebOS Internals kernels (F102A, F104A, F105, SBromwich, Uber, Warthog) now, and packaging them as installable on webOS 1.4.5 in the alpha testing feed, so that you guys can look for any compatibility issues that would stop us using these temporarily until we get the webOS 1.4.5 kernel source code from Palm.

If you have the alpha testing feed enabled, you can just leave your current Preware kernel installed and you will see an update waiting after webOS is updated.

-- Rod
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Preware and WebOS QI are not seeing my patches after running EFV. Do you think I should doctor before doing the update (i have over 35)? I am afraid the patches will be stuck in limbo land and I'll end up having to doctor later anyway.
    thoughts?
    Try the Emergency Reconstruction Utility, via Preware, Available Other, Utilities.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I did give that a shot and it didn't work
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    I did give that a shot and it didn't work
    doctor now...doctor later...
    I would wait and see... Probably nothing to worry about...if so..doctor later.
    never happened to me before...
    good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by THL View Post
    Every patch and kernel installed with Preware is OTA safe. The only thing you should consider removing, is your theme (and from experience, forgetting to do so will not frack the phone, however don't expect themeing to work like it did before).
    No!!! Read this, if you haven't yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Safe: all patches, apps and UberKernel + Govnah.

Not Safe: Themes and any other Kernel besides Uber.

You will have to re-update patches and UberKernal post 1.4.5 when they have been updated individually by the developers. Most of the patches are all ready to go. Some may take a few days.. .
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I've updated to 1.4.5 since last night. Uberkernel, Govnah and patches are save. Have to run preware to update all those patches to get back those effects though.
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    No!!! Read this, if you haven't yet.
    YES!!! The original post you quoted was correct!! Don't post unless you know what it is you're talking about. All the NEW (F102,104,105,Warthog....) experimental kernals have the same OTA safe code that uber has.
    very true i forgot to take my all my stuff opff before i updated it and now my phone is being a pain in my ***. webos no longer "sees" my phone and it wont connect for some damn reason
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    YES!!! The original post you quoted was correct!! Don't post unless you know what it is you're talking about. All the NEW (F102,104,105,Warthog....) experimental kernals have the same OTA safe code that uber has.
    That's quite true! and you should watch your tone! All Preware installed kernels are OTA update safe. I was referimg to the others. Thanks for clarifying.
    Last edited by vza33; 07/02/2010 at 12:43 AM.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I might have been wrong about the other kernels being not safe. I should have limited my post to the info I was certain about and that is Uber and Govnah are safe. I'll let more knowledgable folks address other kernels. I apolpgize if I confused the info.
    Sorry for going off like I did. I've had a long stressful day. You were not in the wrong for saying that, your intentions were good. With that said even though these new kernals are OTA safe it would never hurt to remove them before an update back to the recovery kernals listed in preware.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast