Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    I'm going to the US pretty soon and am very interested in replacing my aging iPhone with a Palm Pre Plus (or maybe a Pixi Plus) unlocked from At&t. Just wondering what sort of experience I would get if I brought it back from overseas. Would I still be able to buy apps? Can I update still?

    Basically whats your experience on using a WebOS device in a place where they don't sell the Palm Pre etc.

    Thanks everyone!!
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by lenntheox View Post
    I'm going to the US pretty soon and am very interested in replacing my aging iPhone with a Palm Pre Plus (or maybe a Pixi Plus) unlocked from At&t. Just wondering what sort of experience I would get if I brought it back from overseas. Would I still be able to buy apps? Can I update still?

    Basically whats your experience on using a WebOS device in a place where they don't sell the Palm Pre etc.

    Thanks everyone!!
    Alright:

    1) You would need to unlock it (which is something along the lines of $30) and hope AT&T would actually sell it to you
    2) You would have to use Palm's method -- OR the meta doctor -- to activate it over WiFi so you could create your Palm account. Then you __should__ be able to get apps through the Catalog -- some GSM Canadian users even report success getting the 50% off promotion since they're using an AT&T webOS phone
    3) GPS was reported to be WAYYYYYY off back when Rod Whitby got his Sprint Pre for use in Australia, so that is something to watch out for

    Aside from that, everything should go smoothly. Just be sure to activate it over WiFi here in the states, else you'll never get apps (or not until Palm gets back in Australia).
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  3. #3  
    having no problems geting updates,using gps on my O2 uk palm pre
  4. #4  
    Have a look at this thread

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/gs...re-thread.html

    Particularly this Carl Spakler's experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Spakler View Post
    Hi All, I'm back and have my AT&T Pre plus in hand. I've unlocked it using the Nextgen server and it has access to the USA app catalog (I asked the ebay seller to ensure it was activated before he shipped it).

    So far here are my impressions:

    Reception is better than my outgoing Xperia X1. I haven't dropped a call in my apartment. The Xperia would do this regularly as if I moved around (presuming it was having trouble deciding which network to use ie roaming with 3 or sticking with Telstra).

    Call quality is superb. People have commented how clear I sound (I wasn't expecting this).

    Keyboard. Seems perfectly usable. I was using the Swype software keyboard with the xperia which is very very good and was worried about going to a small hardware keyboard but no complaints so far.

    Overall quite happy with webos and the pre plus. I hope that the next Webos phone is released natively in Australia.
    The bolded bit is very important for App Catalog access. You still have a problem paying, because an Aussie card won't be accepted. I believe that somebody mentioned somewhere that AT&T would unlock for free under certain circumstances and certainly the nextgenserver option works.

    The OTA OS update process works fine.

    GPS operation is not a problem. My position is accurately tracked around Adelaide.

    There are several other threads detailing Aussie experience on P|C.
    Last edited by johncc; 07/01/2010 at 02:53 AM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The bolded bit is very important for App Catalog access. You still have a problem paying, because an Aussie card won't be accepted. I believe that somebody mentioned somewhere that AT&T would unlock for free under certain circumstances and certainly the nextgenserver option works.
    Thanks Everyone for the quick reply!! It was much appriciated. I think I'll get a webOS device after all!!

    Just a quick question though johncc said that you might have trouble with getting apps with a aussie card. How do you overcome this? I use Steam (the online US game service) with my Aussie card and it seems to work fine. Is there trouble purchasing apps for you guys overseas?

    Also just quick off topic question. Do we know if 3D games are coming to the Pixi Plus? I really prefer the look of the Pixi over the Pre but I don't want to live without 3D games!!

    Thanks again for all your help!!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    2) You would have to use Palm's method -- OR the meta doctor -- to activate it over WiFi so you could create your Palm account. Then you __should__ be able to get apps through the Catalog -- some GSM Canadian users even report success getting the 50% off promotion since they're using an AT&T webOS phone
    You'll need to activate it in the US with a Pre-paid AT&T sim card (or a sim card borrowed from someone who is never going to use that sim card to activate a webOS device in the future).

    I don't believe you can cause the country-of-first-activation database entry (which determines your app catalog access) to be created over wifi.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by lenntheox View Post
    ...
    Just a quick question though johncc said that you might have trouble with getting apps with a aussie card. How do you overcome this? I use Steam (the online US game service) with my Aussie card and it seems to work fine. Is there trouble purchasing apps for you guys overseas?
    ........
    Don't have first hand experience of a solution, but there has been quite a bit of discussion in the threads. The payment process provides a limited list of country options, which basically correspond to the countries in which the phone has been released. (ie not Australia)

    I believe that Pixi 3D games are supposed to be enabled with the imminent update.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by lenntheox View Post
    Just a quick question though johncc said that you might have trouble with getting apps with a aussie card. How do you overcome this? I use Steam (the online US game service) with my Aussie card and it seems to work fine. Is there trouble purchasing apps for you guys overseas?
    I use a Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards virtual gift account. You need a US address and phone number, and someone with a US credit card to purchase it for you.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  9. #9  
    Also note that if you must activate it with a carrier account, most carriers (not sure about AT&T) require a US address for activation to be successful.

    Just for knowledge, where will you be going when you're stateside?
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  10.    #10  
    I will be going to NYC.

    So when I get there I just go for any AT&T store and ask for a Palm Pixi Plus without a contract. Do I have to ask them to unlock it as well? Then when I have it ready for Australian use I activate it over wifi?

    Is that all? Sorry if this is noobish Q's

    Thanks again everyone!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by lenntheox View Post
    Then when I have it ready for Australian use I activate it over wifi?
    Please re-read my posts above.

    If you do one single step wrong, you will be locked out of app catalog paid access for ever on that device. You cannot afford to be asking the same question twice and missing the answer to it in the posts between.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  12.    #12  
    Right, I'll get the prepaid SIM Card and activate it. Then it should be alright here in Australia. Sorry for all the questions I just don't want to end up with a $300-$400 brick

    Thanks Guys!!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by lenntheox View Post
    Right, I'll get the prepaid SIM Card and activate it. Then it should be alright here in Australia. Sorry for all the questions I just don't want to end up with a $300-$400 brick

    Thanks Guys!!
    It won't be a brick whatever you do, but the value you get from the App Catalog will depend on you reading and comprehending the material that has been written on here on the subject.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions