Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Sounds like the model of the carriers doing support is outdated and inefficient to me.
    I agree. Any problems, just call palm, they give it a year warranty.
    Frankly, I agree that it SHOULD be Palm that does the support, not the carriers. It gets rather frustrating waiting on an update like this one because the carriers are forcing the update to be postponed because of their own problems.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    This does bring up a good point. I *think* I understand how this practice of carrier support and testing started, but really, it's time for it to stop.

This is the equivalent of Comcast, Cox, AT&T - whoever, testing every firmware of every hardware device that's hooked up to their DSL or Cable network. That would be absolutely ridiculous.

And really, carriers don't test everything now anyway, you can easily bring unlocked devices to a GSM based network anyway. Carriers could save quite a bit of money and time by just scrapping these supposedly extensive tests they do on all these different phone firmwares.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ espeed View Post
    Frankly, I agree that it SHOULD be Palm that does the support, not the carriers. It gets rather frustrating waiting on an update like this one because the carriers are forcing the update to be postponed because of their own problems.
    If HP has enough pull to get the carriers out of the Palm support business, that could be a real benefit of HP's "scale". This is more practical now that the Palm budget is likely increased.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    This is exactly why it was genius for Apple to negotiate with AT&T to allow them to push out updates when and how ever often they want.
    Which is almost never?
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by spudland
    Which is almost never?
    It works more efficiently, IMO, and there's no "US got it first" or "Europe got it first" nonsense.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Downloading Webos 1.4.5 NOW starting @ 8:00 PST
    It shows up as being available but, when I tap on Download now, it goes back to searching for updates and again showing on screen that 1.4.5 is now available. An endless loop.
    Palm is aware of the download issue (I experience it too), and I'm providing as much information as I can direct to Palm to help diagnose it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    It's been a little slow everywhere today, at least with Sprint. I just checked for updates, then ran Preware to remove my theme. Took nearly twice as long for everything to download. Maybe a little overloading on the system?

*edit* Yep, throws me into the endless loop as well.
    Last edited by fussnfeathers; 08/11/2010 at 12:41 AM.
    got mine downloaded and installed and updated all the patches this morning before work.

now. when's 2.0 coming out?
    I was able to see there was an update last night about 10 pm Central. Still cannot finish the download.
    I was able to update late last night. I removed my theme, but left everything else. Now the patches aren't working. Looks like I'll have to Dr. it.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drkno View Post
    I was able to update late last night. I removed my theme, but left everything else. Now the patches aren't working. Looks like I'll have to Dr. it.
    did you run Preware? It should update your patches.
    I jsut recently purchased a unlocked european palm pre in the UK, however the webOS is only 1.4.1 and I cannot update to 1.4.5, as it says my device is updated.

Anyone point me in the direction how to get it to 1.4.5?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456