Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Dear HP/Palm,

You need to buy your way out of the application situation in the short term in order to compete. While it is true that large app numbers matter to the masses, most people still have their favorite apps they can't live without.

So here is a suggestion for a potentially better way to spend all those contest prize dollars you have been throwing around, like the $1 million hot apps contest.

(1) Up the budget to $2 million
    (2) Find out the top 20 apps on the iPhone.
    (3) Offer each company $50k to port their app over to WebOS
    (4) Offer another $15k per year to supply updates, for 2 years
    (5) Offer bonuses for WebOS-only features with the remaining $400k
    (6) Market the heck out of these 20 apps
    (7) Offer consumers who can prove they paid for the app on the iPhone a free download of the same app on WebOS.

You can play around with the numbers -- but the strategy remains the same.

Would this work, or is this a waste of money?
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    They could offer WAAAAAAAY less if it is so easy to port.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    They could offer WAAAAAAAY less if it is so easy to port.
    This is very true for games, which port with so little effort no additional financial incentive is even needed.

However, for all other types of applications the porting is not so straightforward. Those are the apps people complain about not having.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    20 iphone ports doesn't really help the total apps number..

I think Palm should build on the community it has. There are a lot of people loyal to Palm. Why not pay them to build something that will beat the iphone top 20 competitors. There are a lot of bright people in our community. Just look at Preware, the patches, new kernels..

Most iphone developers are Apple customers anyway. They don't care about webos. We do!
    The single most important thing right now is to demonstrate that webOS will be supported vigorously by HP going forward. Once HP makes this clear--I imagine, very soon after the deal closes this week--then developers can't help but recognize that with HP's backing, webOS will be an important platform. Coupled with everything Palm has already done to make it attractive from a development perspective (openness, Ares, PDK, soon hybrid SDK/PDK, app distribution outside of the App Catalog, etc.), all developers need is some confidence.

Also can't forget a complete set of APIs. It's vital that Palm get full microphone and camera APIs so that developers like Shazam can build the applications that are currently impossible.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    yes. They ned to buy the too 20 iphone/android apps, including google apps.
    Microsoft knows how it's done.

I guarantee Microsoft will have close to 1000 quality Silverlight/HTML5 apps on launch. They are buying developer's interest by paying them to come over to the WP7 side and I read it's working great.
    I think our apps and devs are awesome.. Give them the money.. I would prefer it if apple devs were banned.
    Release a kick#ss tablet running webOS and new up to date hardware and the app situation will take care of itself, supply and demand works every time
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    20 iphone ports doesn't really help the total apps number..

I think Palm should build on the community it has. There are a lot of people loyal to Palm. Why not pay them to build something that will beat the iphone top 20 competitors. There are a lot of bright people in our community. Just look at Preware, the patches, new kernels..

Most iphone developers are Apple customers anyway. They don't care about webos. We do!
    • True, 20 apps would not help the total apps number. But the right 20 apps could help encourage other players sitting on the fence to dive in.
    • True, the homebrew community is amazing. I would argue money is not their main motivator; they develop more out of passion for the platform.
    • True, we also need the mic and camera APIs (mentioned in others' posts)

However, we need name-brand recognizable apps from the big players: SlingPlayer, Shazaam, Skype, Audible, Mint, Documents2Go, Jibbigo, etc. These apps in a TV ad would raise awareness of what WebOS has to offer and raise the perception of the masses that Apple and Android aren't the only smartphones in town with good apps.
    While slow and steady improvement might eventually win these companies over in the long term, we need a short term jolt.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    Microsoft knows how it's done.

I guarantee Microsoft will have close to 1000 quality Silverlight/HTML5 apps on launch. They are buying developer's interest by paying them to come over to the WP7 side and I read it's working great.
    I agree with you 1000 percent. HP/Palm needs to do something similar.

It's not just one strategy, but a series of strategies that will help.

Palm has it right with the half-off pricing (increases demand side), the waiving of the $50 app entry fee (increases supply side for entry level developers, but not big development houses), the hot apps contests for mojo and PDK apps (once again, not a huge incentive for big companies since it is essentially a gamble, not a guarantee).

Give the big development houses a guaranteed ROI. They are not in it for the recognition or learning opportunities, they are in it for the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I think our apps and devs are awesome.. Give them the money.. I would prefer it if apple devs were banned.
    I agree with the fisrt part of your statement. IMO webOS should have it's own top 20 apps, no reason to copy Apple when you have the better OS in the first place. With the advent of new and better hardware on the horizon, webOS should have it's own unique apps which take advantage if the OS and make Apple and their followers try to emulate. Like they have tried to emulate multitasking. Copying or porting their top 20 apps only says that Palm is defering to the superior product.
    Last edited by vza33; 06/29/2010 at 09:06 PM.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    $2 million would not be nearly enough. Given how much HP paid they could afford a lot more.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    The single most important thing right now is to demonstrate that webOS will be supported vigorously by HP going forward. Once HP makes this clear--I imagine, very soon after the deal closes this week--then developers can't help but recognize that with HP's backing, webOS will be an important platform. Coupled with everything Palm has already done to make it attractive from a development perspective (openness, Ares, PDK, soon hybrid SDK/PDK, app distribution outside of the App Catalog, etc.), all developers need is some confidence.

Also can't forget a complete set of APIs. It's vital that Palm get full microphone and camera APIs so that developers like Shazam can build the applications that are currently impossible.
    Everything you've said is spot on. The only concern I have is the amount of time this will take to work. Great mid to long term strategy -- but we need something NOW.

A short term JOLT. Think economic stimulus package.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    [LIST]However, we need name-brand recognizable apps from the big players: SlingPlayer, Shazaam, Skype, Audible, Mint, Documents2Go, Jibbigo, etc.
    Players like Skype develop for marketshare. And with no new hardware that's only shrinking..

Slingplayer, Skype or even Google. They won't give a **** about a $50k bribe..
    Nothing is going to happen until we hear some hardware specs and schedule. Hopefully rumors, or actual news, will show up right after the deal is completed on Thursday.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    I agree with the fisrt part of your statement. IMO webOS should have it's own top 20 apps, no reason to copy Apple when you have the better IS in the first place. With the advent of new and better hardware on the horizon, webOS should have it's own unique apps which take advantage if the OS and make Apple and their followers try to emulate. Like they have tried to emulate multitasking. Copying or porting their top 20 apps only says that Palm is defering to the superior product.
    Copying a feature of the operating system like multitasking is a completely different animal than porting over an app. WebOS has a better operating system and user interface, but that's not what we are talking about here.

We are talking about apps.

They'll be plenty of time to add WebOS specific apps, but in the meantime we need to get the core apps considered most popular by the masses -- this is simply table-stakes. No one is gonna say 'oh, now your just copying apps from our superior product'. Apps are not phone features. There is no 'shame' in porting them over!
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Players like Skype develop for marketshare. And with no new hardware that's only shrinking..

Slingplayer, Skype or even Google. They won't give a **** about a $50k bribe..
    I am not saying this would be the only strategy, rather an additional one HP/Palm should add to the toolkit.

Big players look at multiple things to rationalize development, including the following:

1. Marketshare.
    2. Risk (e.g., long term financial viability of the target platform's parent company)
    3. Return on investment.

With this strategy a return on investment will be guaranteed, lowering the barrier just a bit more. The second item will be a non-issue once the HP acquisition is official and HP demonstrates they are truly all-in on WebOS with their behavior rather than just their words.
    (1) I agree that porting apps isn't a problem. I don't care if the app is on iphone if I can get the same app on my webos phone, its cool
    (2) I don't think that subsidizing the apps (as described) is a good long-term strategy. Too many people compare the NUMBER of iphone apps versus the number of WebOS apps. Personally, I would like 100 quality (add-free) apps rather than 1,000 crap-apps, but that just my opinion.

Your proposal would only produce 20 quality apps, and people would say, "...well there are so many more apps in the Apple catalog (blah, blah, blah)."
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    $2 million would not be nearly enough. Given how much HP paid they could afford a lot more.
    I like the way you think. :-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast