Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evilduckster View Post
    (1) I agree that porting apps isn't a problem. I don't care if the app is on iphone if I can get the same app on my webos phone, its cool
    (2) I don't think that subsidizing the apps (as described) is a good long-term strategy. Too many people compare the NUMBER of iphone apps versus the number of WebOS apps. Personally, I would like 100 quality (add-free) apps rather than 1,000 crap-apps, but that just my opinion.

Your proposal would only produce 20 quality apps, and people would say, "...well there are so many more apps in the Apple catalog (blah, blah, blah)."
    I agree that subsidizing the apps is NOT a good long-term strategy. But as I have been saying all along, it could be a really good short-term strategy.

A 15 second ad spot flashing 20 highly recognizable apps/brand-names is the next best thing next to flashing hundreds of tiny app icons (like the Droid commercials do with their globe of apps), but we can't even do that yet. This would help us get there faster.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    I think paying developers would be a good way to build up momentum and get the platform noticed. I think if they could first get some killer (and I mean KILLER) hardware, blow everyone away with 2.0, and have a good selection of 50-100 top apps, and then market the hell out of it, webos would be top 3 in market share easily.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I emailed about 30 (see http://forums.precentral.net/general...evelopers.html) and I got this responce by the number 5 paid app developer!

Hi Max,

Thanks for the email. We’re currently looking to port our game Fruit Ninja to webOS. Thanks for the helpful links and look out for Fruit Ninja on webOS platforms sometime soon.

Best Regards,
    Shainiel
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfaye21 View Post
    I emailed about 30 (see http://forums.precentral.net/general...evelopers.html) and I got this responce by the number 5 paid app developer!

Hi Max,

Thanks for the email. We’re currently looking to port our game Fruit Ninja to webOS. Thanks for the helpful links and look out for Fruit Ninja on webOS platforms sometime soon.

Best Regards,
    Shainiel
    Cool -- this is certainly a good grass-roots effort from our community. Now imagine this backed up with sugar daddy HP funding it with a port-it-over incentive. Boo-ya, double whammy.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    I'd agree with this wholeheartedly. If the developers of the big name apps aren't writing webos versions then it's up to Palm to do it themselves or at least pay for them to be developed. Numbers matters a lot less than quality. I don't need 200,000 apps but I do need a smaller number of key apps. They have already sort of done this with the pdk and games.
    If HP/Palm is paying the developers for their Apps, I sure hope I don't have to pay for the App as well. haha

Other than that, this may not be an altogether bad idea.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evilduckster View Post
    Personally, I would like 100 quality (add-free) apps rather than 1,000 crap-apps, but that just my opinion.
    That's the problem. There are barely 50 quality apps in the Catalog as we speak. I don't CARE about EA Games. I still want for a decent-looking weather app. I swear, it's a problem when I find myself missing the "halcyon days" of BlackBerry App World.
    I agree wholeheartedly that we need more apps. But what about Flash, Skype, and Docs to go, etc. With these three items and another 1000 apps, especially quality ones, WebOS will be a "contender".
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    If HP/Palm is paying the developers for their Apps, I sure hope I don't have to pay for the App as well. haha

Other than that, this may not be an altogether bad idea.
    hopefully you can afford 99 cents
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12