Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I'm going to fulfill my warranty with Verizon and get a replacement on my Palm Pre+ tomorrow morning (oreo effect and a myriad of other hardware problems). I hope this hasn't been answered already -- most likely has and I just didn't search well enough:

So, let me get this straight...all I gotta do is a Master Reset, give them my old Palm Pre+, get the new Palm Pre+, log in to my Palm account and all my contacts will be back on there? What else is tied to my Palm account that will carry over?

Furthermore, I need to install Preware and it will automatically know what patches I had installed before the Master Reset or is that just something I made up in my head?

TIA.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/28/2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: clarify title
    The Palm Profile will repopulate your contacts as well as apps from the App Catalog and their positions in the launcher (and IIRC notes and tasks as well). If you want to be really sure, either export your phonebook to a .csv (patch available somewhere here ) or synch them with your Google Account.
    Preware has to be installed manually later on with WOQI. If you want to save the hassle adding every patch and HB software back manually, use Save/Restore to backup Preware's settings and restore them on the new phone later on.
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    yes, but read the preware instructions so you back up the right files from the usb drive.
    Can you further clarify the Save/Restore app instructions and procedure since the OP's replacement will not come with that app? How does he get the saved data back onto the replacement Pre?
    Palm Profile Backs Up:

Contacts
    Caledar
    Tasks/Todos
    Memos/Notes
    Email Accounts (including Facebook, LinkedIn and IM accounts, excluding the passwords)
    Applications
    Web Bookmarks & cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Can you further clarify the Save/Restore app instructions and procedure since the OP's replacement will not come with that app? How does he get the saved data back onto the replacement Pre?
    Ok, first go into Preware on your old phone and select "Saved Package List" and hit update once. Preware will confirm via Banner, that the list has been written. Now open up Save/Restore, toggle Preware (and all other savestates you might care to migrate) and hit "Save Selected". A SaveRestore folder will be created on /media/internal (the USB disk partition of the Pre).
    Plug it into the PC and copy the folder over to your PC.

Now, onto Pre #2:
    Fire it up and log into your Palm Profile. The profile will restore the first part. Then activate developer mode and connect it to a PC. Via WebOSQI you can install Preware and Save/Restore. Change the Pre's mode to USB disk and copy the SaveRestore folder from the HD onto the new Pre.
    Fire up Save/Restore and restore Prewares setting. Fire up Preware, update the feeds and head into "Saved Packages List". One more tap on "Install All" and the rest will happen automagically.

P.S.: Make sure the new phone's firmware is up to date before restoring patches.
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Another helpful thing is to use Pre Backup Utility (backs up text/call log/etc) and backup pics, etc on computer. Makes it like you never even switched phones. Trust me after my 8 phone replacements I am an expert, lol.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Wow. You guys rock!

Thank you very much for all of the info! I've done all the necessary steps now (I hope). All I'm doing is backing up my photos and some other bull**** I stored on the USB end and I'll be ready for my new Pre!

Again, thanks a lot guys!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Uhh...one last thing:

I just got my replacement sent in from Verizon and I'm ready to take the big leap! But...what's my first step? Should I go to 'Reset Options' then 'Full Erase' on my original Pre, wait until that's done, then fire up the new one?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I'm such a n00b, I know =(
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    #1 - Remove your Avatar:
    You don't want failure associated with a face.

#2 - Doctor your phone then re-install latest OS

#3 - When receiving new phone, all you need is your palm profile's email and password to reinstall your contacts from the cloud.
    Wish I could be of more help, but since I'm on GSM and Sim cards, I never had the CDMA problematic.

You do not need to do a full erase on your old phone to deactivate it, do you?
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Har har har! Thanks PreBot.

Well, fail on Verizon's end. Their telephone customer service is only til 11pm and their stupid MyVerizon site is a POS and doesn't load.

I guess I'll wait til tomorrow morning.
    Does the Palm Backup also backup the data from my apps?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Save/Restore is failing at restoring my Preware stuff.

Anybody else have this issue?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png .png (68.7 KB, 2 views)