1.    #1  
    Is it possible to make 'phone calls' via WIFI using the Palm Pre? I am traveling overseas and would really like to be able to do VOIP with my trusty Pre...

A simple yes or no will suffice. (Of course, if yes...do tell!).

We own three Pres and four Touchstones...if the answer to this question is 'no' then I have to wonder about our 'investment' in Palm and in the Pre.

It has been a year now since we signed on with our Pres...with just not enough development of the platform...and we've bought some Aps!

C'mon HP/Palm...I could go on and on how much I love WebOS...c'mon!
    there s no API for it yet... Lets just hope...
  3.    #3  
    Do any of the old-timers on this board...can they provide an answer to the following question: WHY hasn't the API been released for this sort of thing? Was Sprint against it? Why? Lordy the Pre was such a jewel when it was released...and look at her now...
    It will happen. You just have to be patient.
    Palm said in the dev conference that in fall they would release the mic API, but with the buyout I think the date will be sooner. And once the mic api is out, a Skype app would be out soon because the SDK of skype is now public.
    Do we need an API for visual mail box too?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  7.    #7  
    Can anyone explain why Palm hasn't released the mic API? And how many other APIs are out there that are ready to be utilized by those who wish to (a) help; and (b) profit from... the WebOS brand? This isn't that hard, is it?
    Because they already said that it will be included in the major update in fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Do we need an API for visual mail box too?
    Multiple visual voicemail apps out there. By far the best, with the best service is YouView that uses either GoogleVoice or YouMail.
    Quote Originally Posted by josephandrews222 View Post
    Can anyone explain why Palm hasn't released the mic API? And how many other APIs are out there that are ready to be utilized by those who wish to (a) help; and (b) profit from... the WebOS brand? This isn't that hard, is it?
    I don't know, how hard is it? How many OS's have you written?

And why isn't a Mic api out yet? Simple Games > Microphone access. While that may not be true for everyone, that has been palm's view and as such a lot of development effort has gone into ensuring that it is a strong gaming platform. As of 1.4.5 we get the last of that work and they start on other things.
  11.    #11  
    Modeerf: I have written zero OS's.

But I don't think that's the point. And I wish to take what you have written at face value: I am going to assume that you know what you are talking about (no sarcasm intended).

If what you say is true, a primary focus of Palm's WebOS developers has been GAMES?!

My oh my...
    Quote Originally Posted by josephandrews222 View Post
    Modeerf: I have written zero OS's.

But I don't think that's the point. And I wish to take what you have written at face value: I am going to assume that you know what you are talking about (no sarcasm intended).

If what you say is true, a primary focus of Palm's WebOS developers has been GAMES?!

My oh my...
    It's sometimes forgotten that the iPhone was released lacking many basic APIs. Yes making a mobile OS from scratch is hard, and even microsoft won't be able to release Windows Phone 7 with cut and paste at launch. And Microsoft knows how important it is, and they have a TON of smart people.

I don't build OSes, but looking at the launch of the iPhone, and Android, and Palm, it seems like they choose priorities and release the phone, and get to things as then can. The iPhone JUST got limited multi-tasking. They've got a ton of smart people too. They made a choice about priorities. So did Palm.
    Bumping an old thread...
    Skype will be soon released for WebOS 2.0 and will be exclusive to Verizon. Does that mean we get the long awaited microphone API or not? I want my SIP abilities damn it!
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I agree with bureX. VOIP sure would be handy traveling in a GSM only region with a CDMA phone. I think it is all about money to be made on restricting communication options. It could also be a national security issue. Afterall, everyone's phone calls have to be succeptable to tapping.
    Remember amigos,

mobile hotspot was not supposed to be available to us on the Sprint network, yet many of us are running it and benefitting from the ability to tether our laptops and netbooks to our pre. Give it a bit to happen. Skype will get released and in true homebrew fashion, an inovative developer will figure out how to patch it and make it work. 2.0 is right around the corner.