Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We all know there are several Apps that truly use the Dashboard Notification in WebOS to it's full potential.

Besides the Music Apps, that allow you to pause/play, forward/reverse, there is also GeoStrings, Baseball (and Sports) Live, PowerNap... These all have awesome notifications that allow you to almost fully interact with the program without having to bring it into full card view.

However, it seems that these Apps are few and far between. With all the clamoring for "Widgets" in WebOS, it would seem natural that more developers would try to take advantage of this tool. In doing a search of the App catalog, all I was able to find besides my examples above were a handfull of weather Apps, and a smattering of timer Apps.

So here is the question I pose, well two questions really.

1.) What Apps - or type of Apps - would you like to see use the WebOS dashboard more to it's capabilities?

2.) What Apps have I missed? Do you know of an App that has great Notification Interaction that may have been overlooked previously, if so, name it here!
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Personally I love Bad Kitty's implementation. For example, when you send a Direct Message over twitter, a little banner pops up saying "Direct Message sent to User" - which reassures me that I didn't send an @reply and confirms the correct recipient.

TweetmeWebOS also has excellent use of notifications that let you actually interact with the app - for example, popping up a message saying "Draft saved - but just tap here to delete it"

I would absolutely love to see more apps using notifications like this.
    i put my most used apps on teal speed launcher, when minimized its on the dashboard. 2 clicks to get to my apps. all my contacts are on super contacts, which when minimized is on the dashboard also. 2 clicks to dial or text or email. with my set up i dont really need more dashboard capable apps, but i can see where others may..
    You're missing Weather Dashboard too, as an app that has great use of the notification area.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    search dashboard and notification in the app catalog and you'll see a few more. I believe torrent remote and top stock has some dashboard control. it's a great feature and should be used more.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You're missing Weather Dashboard too, as an app that has great use of the notification area.
    he said hand full of weather apps
  7.    #7  
    I saw a few weather Apps in there, and some looked pretty nice by the screenshots and descriptions.

I don't usually use any weather Apps, as I live in Phoenix and the forecast is always "hot". I don't need an App to tell me what I already know.
    QST also uses the dashboard. From what I have heard, alot of people don't wanting anything down there.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post

2.) What Apps have I missed? Do you know of an App that has great Notification Interaction that may have been overlooked previously, if so, name it here!
    MoreStocks puts a ticker of your stocks in the notification bar that lets you look at the price of each of your holdings without having to go back into the program.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gobanjoboy View Post
    QST also uses the dashboard. From what I have heard, alot of people don't wanting anything down there.
    perhaps an app/patch that holds the notifications (it's a list) so you don't take up screen real estsate?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gobanjoboy View Post
    I think some of those people may change their tune if the notifications were more useful.

I don't want a notification taking up space if it doesn't do anything and I have to pull up the card view no matter what. However, if the notification gives me updated information, or allows me to interact with the program without having to even leave the program I'm in, well that's a different story.

I have heard a lot of people wanting Android type "Widgets", and I can understand the desire to have info available at a glance. Dashboard notifications are capable of this without needing to take up a bunch of screen space or block your wallpaper. Also, can you view an Android Widget while still in another App without having to minimize or close the App so you can see your "Home" screen?

@ualdayan: Thank you, I don't own any stock myself, but that's exactly what I'm talking about. Essentially, that Apps notification would be similar to an Android Stock Ticker Widget, am I correct?
    Global Posts
    505 Global Posts
    I know this thread is not about Weather specific apps but rather dashboard, I however don't understand why noone has been able to implement weather alerts into the dashboard. This is my biggest disappointment with WebOS and have requested this feature in a couple threads and I've gotten totally ignored. LOL Weather Dashboard has the concept and basics down but the developer seems totally disinterested in adding alerts, as with Weather Icon. Both great apps.

So Yes the Dashboard feature is Totally Underused.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I too would like weather alerts. I'd get an alerts only app.
    It would be nice a twitter app that shows tweets as notifications, and you could move between the tweets with arrows just like music player app. And when you tap a tweet, the notification area would expand with the options "Retweet", "Reply", and "Open in "Twiitter client"". That'd be awesome.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    It would be nice a twitter app that shows tweets as notifications, and you could move between the tweets with arrows just like music player app. And when you tap a tweet, the notification area would expand with the options "Retweet", "Reply", and "Open in "Twiitter client"". That'd be awesome.
    I hadn't thought of that, but it might be nice.

I'd like a news app that posted hourly or perhaps bi-hourly updates of user defined news stories. The headlines could show in the notification and could be scrolled through, when a story catches your eye, you could expand the whole story in the App or web browser.
    Last edited by Spader; 06/27/2010 at 02:37 PM.
    i think the notification area should be utilized more, especially in the absence of widgets, but its true that people dont like havin the icons there when they arent in use. one thing i like about android is that you can hide the notifications without discarding them.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    There's nothing I hate more than having 5 stacked notifications eating up half of my screen real-estate.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acidhax View Post
    There's nothing I hate more than having 5 stacked notifications eating up half of my screen real-estate.
    they only take half ur screen when you interact with them. Back swipe and ur back to icon mode.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I too am surprised that we haven't seen better use of the notification area. I wonder if it's an API or a coding thing that's preventing things like alvaro_qc's suggested Twitter implementation or scrolling news information.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    I too am surprised that we haven't seen better use of the notification area. I wonder if it's an API or a coding thing that's preventing things like alvaro_qc's suggested Twitter implementation or scrolling news information.
    It's obviously possible, just look at PowerNap or GeoStrings... the question may be "how difficult is it?"

I wonder if one of the DEVs could chime in and tell us? We know it's possible, but is it too hard for more Apps to use it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast