1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I love to read between the lines of tech articles and then open up a dialog, about what is upcoming, for all of us loyal Palm users.

Apparently, at today's voting for the sale of Palm to HP, a question was asked about webOS 2.0 So far, I have not found much out about the issue other than a cursory answer. I am including the two articles that I found.

What to the rest of you think??? Will Palm/HP, (or what ever they decide to call the new division of HP), jump directly to webOS 2.0?

Keep in mind, that webOS is going to morph a great deal in the short run, as webOS is updated and customized, to work with HP's extensive printer line. (My guess is that very soon, HP will only make web connected printers and they will all contain a version of webOS! I also think, that Palm started working on webOS customization for HP printers, the minute the sale was made public)!

Article one:

HP APPROVES BUYOUT OF PALM

Palm Shareholders Approve HP Buyout [Palm Okay To Join HP, Deal Now Ready For Full Steam Ahead, webOS Tablet Coming Soon?] » TFTS – Technology, Gadgets & Curiosities

Today, the Palm shareholders held their meeting to vote on whether to accept HP’s offer ($5.70 per share, plus HP takes on Palm’s debt). As was expected, Palm’s investors approved the deal and there was said to be general excitement about the deal.

Former Apple engineer and current Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein will stay on-board. Rubinstein, probably the man given the most credit for webOS, will head up HP’s new Mobility unit. It’ll consist of Palm’s hardware assets and will gain HP’s iPAQ line of smartphones.

The merger between HP and Palm is supposed to be completed by the first week of July. Other notes from the meeting, although Verizon ordered 1 million Palm Pre phones for the launch, they haven’t ordered any since. AT&T is reportedly better at selling the Palm hardware and they were described by Palm as being “better trained.”

Sounds like there was a lot of excited people at the Palm shareholder meeting. webOS 2.0 was mentioned. Will we see a webOS tablet sooner? We know HP really is keen on the mobile OS, and they even want to put it on printers. Once the deal is finished, we could see them start to churn these products out.

Article two:

Rubinstein to lead new HP mobility group

updated 05:35 pm EDT, Fri June 25, 2010

Palm shareholder meeting reveals some details

Rubinstein to lead new HP mobility group | Electronista

A Palm shareholder meeting on Friday regarding the upcoming merger with HP has confirmed that Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein will head up the new smartphone/mobile unit resulting from the deal. The claim would put to rest earlier rumors that had Rubinstein ousted from the company and would also see some change, as HP's struggling iPaq group would be folded into the new section. The Palm/HP deal is expected to be completed during the first week of July.

One attendee at the meeting may also have gleaned a look into future strategy with Palm's VP of Investor Relations Teri Klein. She was enthusiastic about upcoming products and services from the deal, including the anticipated webOS 2.0 launch, though specifics weren't available.

The smartphone maker also provided some extra insight into its financial health. It reiterated that its quarterly results won't be reported due to the merger. However, it added that the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus launchs at AT&T were smoother than at Verizon, as the staff was better trained in promoting the phones.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    This all started back to jakerome's thread here on PreCentral forums then to PreCentral headline then to Engadget.

My guess is that 2.0 won't be released until CES 2011. There was the mentioned 1.5 update which has css transitions, javascript optimizations, and hardware accelerations which seems more like a 2.0 update which was slated for release in early fall.

I'm still surprised no one has anymore news about the shareholder's meeting.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    This all started back to jakerome's thread here on PreCentral forums then to PreCentral headline then to Engadget.

My guess is that 2.0 won't be released until CES 2011. There was the mentioned 1.5 update which has css transitions, javascript optimizations, and hardware accelerations which seems more like a 2.0 update which was slated for release in early fall.

I'm still surprised no one has anymore news about the shareholder's meeting.

Well most people probably heard the same stuff, and didn't want to repeat.. By the end of next month we will have some big news. (no inside information, just guessing...)
    At this rate next year this time!
  5.    #5  
    Hi all, Time will tell...however, I think Palm HP will work quickly on webOS for printers and other uses! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    time yes, but more specificaly(sp) 2nd week on July.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    specifically -- i like the sp when you are unsure. some people dont care at all :/
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Well most people probably heard the same stuff, and didn't want to repeat.. By the end of next month we will have some big news. (no inside information, just guessing...)

Definitely by the end of July. My guess is that Palm had originally intended for the next gen device to be released in June, but due to the HP acquisition they had to change the road map. Palm doesn't want to stir any commotion or momentum while the transaction is being placed in order to play it safe.

Of course now we know that the transaction ends next week (to my delight), and hopefully give Palm the necessary environment to announce their plans. If not that, then maybe some leaks...

HP has given us more insight on the future of WebOS than Palm has.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Palm has known for a while that they won't financially be able to ensure a future to webOS, so they kept mum. Ever since they formalized the deal, Palm couldn't "say" anything because they weren't in a position to do so.

Palm is no longer independent, Palm is now a division of HP. HP is the entity in whose hands webOS lies now. They're the ones with the insight on the future of webOS.

Cue somebody mentioning comedy webOS toasters; 3, 2,...
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    what about those connected toasters, eh? -- eh?
    ... and TV's would be my next bet. OK< OK... they may be marketed as web-enabled monitors, but I see that as a natural evolution of things.

$.02

russ
    In fall
    I can't imagine webOS on a tv. YOU NEED FINGERS! I dont want to make my tv screen smudgey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    I can't imagine webOS on a tv. YOU NEED FINGERS! I dont want to make my tv screen smudgey.
    Wash your hands!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post

Remote controled Webos doesn't seem like to much of a stretch?
    Still wating for 1.4.5, let alone 2.0
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Still wating for 1.4.5, let alone 2.0
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    wii? Think Microsoft Natal!

By 2015, all non-cheapo PCs will ship with Natal-like remote controls that use your body. Wait for it. Televisions the same.

You'll swipe with your entire arm... Like in the Palm commercials.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 07/20/2010 at 03:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    wii? Think Microsoft Natal!

By 2015, all non-cheapo PCs will ship with Natal-like remote controls that use your body. Wait for it. Televisions the same.

You'll swipe with your entire arm... Like in the Palm commercials.
    Seems less efficient than a flick of the wrist (mouse controlled). I think my arms would quickly get tired.