Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Yeah, but I dont see why a 9mb game needs 90mb of ram to run.
    The value just tells the OS to not run it if 90mb isn't available.

Since the value is developer defined it doesn't necessarily have to be truthful, I'm sure the OS doesn't even get upset if it uses more memory than it says.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Thanks for the heads up everyone. We'll have our development team look into this.
    On my Sprint Pre, I changed this value to 9, and I was finally able to play this game. But one time, the app crashed and I got an error message about an unexpected quit. So it seems that this app really does need a fair amount of memory to run properly (although maybe not as much as originally specified by the developers).
    I can not play this game . It won't open for me lol . That was a wasted 50 cent piece !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I used Internalz to change the value from 90 to 40, this allows me to now open the game without a luna restart beforehand. haha

Good catch, OP, thank you.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  6.    #26  
    OK so I looked into it a little and did some tests, jumpoclock, doesn't need more than 30-35mb ram to run, setting the required memory too low will not cause the phone to stop working it will only exit jumpoclock and you will get a message saying that jumpoclock.

so AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $IMO$ $you$ $can$ $safely$ $set$ $the$ $required$ $memory$ $for$ $jumpoclock$ $to$ $35$.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    OK so I looked into it a little and did some tests, jumpoclock, doesn't need more than 30-35mb ram to run, setting the required memory too low will not cause the phone to stop working it will only exit jumpoclock and you will get a message saying that jumpoclock.

so AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $IMO$ $you$ $can$ $safely$ $set$ $the$ $required$ $memory$ $for$ $jumpoclock$ $to$ $35$.
    I'd set it to 40mb to be safe. Sure beats the 90mb indicator lol

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    I just bumped Uno down from 80 to 50. Not only is it playing smoothly, game play actually is a little faster. I would chalk it up to the new download, but it's the same version I had before.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by cas_esq View Post
    I just bumped Uno down from 80 to 50. Not only is it playing smoothly, game play actually is a little faster. I would chalk it up to the new download, but it's the same version I had before.
    I am taking a stab in the dark here and am most likely wrong, but it could be allocating the amount of ram when it is launched so it does not run out during game play and since you lowered it there is more ram for the phone to do its thing while before you were coming close to running out.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    What this means how? App said it needed 90. Now it says it needs 9. OS lets it launch.

The phone has swap space to run apps that go over the amount of physical ram it has. The phone doesn't like to use it because it is slow and makes for slow performance. So while the game may run now every time, odds are he will be seeing performance hiccups when loading or writing to the swap area.
    Palm don't want you to go into swap, cause then if the phone application is swapped out you will run the risk of loosing incoming phone calls.

See http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...rds-error.html for more information.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I agree, Jump O Clock wouldn't run without a fresh restart. JStop couldn't even clear enough space for it. I did the 90 to 9 fix and was finally able to play it, and it ran great. I think I'll bump it up to 35 since that sounds reasonable.

I'm on a Sprint Pre.

Glu, I'd fix this right away. I would have probably given this great game 1 star because it wouldn't run. Most people will not read this forum and only a small percentage of those will mod a config file. Hope you check this for all your games. Thanks
    these games are iphone ports from a time when the os couldn't multitask at all. Since the apps were entitled to basically all of the memory, I bet they set the requirements arbitrarily high. The pre version of the app gets that limit as a left over from the porting process I bet...
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Palm don't want you to go into swap, cause then if the phone application is swapped out you will run the risk of loosing incoming phone calls.

See http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...rds-error.html for more information.

-- Rod
    Then whats the best method of finding out the correct number for the config file without having essential services being moved to the swap area?

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    For what it's worth (not much), I'm on a Pre Plus and I have never gotten the "Too Many Cards" error in Jump O'Clock, or any app for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrizzle View Post
    For what it's worth (not much), I'm on a Pre Plus Blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah. blah!!!.
    Lol You said it...
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post

So, can I ask what method you used to find this out? I'm going to look at lowering values on Gameloft's Let's Golf and Blades. Hmmm, copying files off and Blades gives me "cp: cannot create '/media/internal/com.gameloft.app.blades/blades/\trophy.sav' : invalid argument" - I wonder whats going wrong?
    Last edited by sinime; 06/29/2010 at 11:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    So, can I ask what method you used to find this out? I'm going to look at lowering values on Gameloft's Let's Golf and Blades. Hmmm, copying files off and Blades gives me "cp: cannot create '/media/internal/com.gameloft.app.blades/blades/\trophy.sav' : invalid argument" - I wonder whats going wrong?
    Mixing DOS and Unix path separators is your first problem.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Mixing DOS and Unix path separators is your first problem.

-- Rod
    But I didn't.... I typed "cp -rf com.gameloft.* /media/internal/"

It copied Letsgolf and I guess most of blades then threw that error...

Anyhow, I used the earlier suggestion and just used Internalz. That way I don't have to transfer back and forth. We'll see if I can get through tomorrow all day and open one of those apps without TMC. In the past I've tried rebooting phone in AM and only using mail, texting and internet thoughout the day, but always get TMC in the afternoon if I open a 3D app. Hope this fixes it!
    so far, so good. I can't run 2 games at once... Fired up jump o clock then transformers and when I minimized transformers, jump o clock was no longer running. Then I got an error that JoC had closed. Not a biggie, don't see why 2 games need to be running at once. I can now run other stuff in background while Let's Golf is up though. As I said before though, real test will be if I don't get TMC tonight after running phone all day.
    K, everyone is underestimating the OP's fix... I've been running 3D apps all day long and no TMC errors. I DL N.O.V.A. And bam TMC, reset to 50 (btw game calls for 96 and entire game is only ~90MB... Runs great and a blackberry/360 (xbox) friend about **** when he saw it. Either PDK or devs are ****ing up and asking for more RAM than needed. - sry for tripple post, but as I said, everyone is ignoring the OP's findings.

BTW I'm on a Sprint Pre. No overclocking, no kernal patches. Will test more tomorrow. IDK why the are not more posts on this, yet "Obama, one tragedy after another" gets posts by the hour... This is an actual pre issue with a fix.
    Last edited by sinime; 06/30/2010 at 11:36 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast