1.    #1  
    SkypeKit beta SDK adds Skype to any application or device -- Engadget

Could someone build something?

Get ready for the second major wave of video chatting -- not only is Apple about to bring video calling to the masses with the iPhone 4, but Skype today announced the SkypeKit beta SDK, which devs can use the SDK to interface their apps and devices directly with Skype's service starting tomorrow. That means there's no need to run the Skype desktop app -- it'll just be integrated into whatever you're running, like the recent Panasonic VIERA connected TVs with Skype integration. Once they've passed a UI certification, devices and apps will be billed as "plugged into Skype," but don't expect to see anything happen too quickly: the SDK is Linux-only at the moment, with Windows and Mac desktop versions forthcoming, and Skype will be testing apps and devices before they go live.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 06/23/2010 at 05:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Probably - but it still won't be much use without an API to access the Microphone.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    Probably - but it still won't be much use without an API to access the Microphone.
    I would highly enjoy just access to Skype Chat.
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    I would highly enjoy just access to Skype Chat.
    I read how to do this via the web somewhere in here:

navigate to the following on your Pre, save page in launcher:

h t t p : / / s4palm.com/index_webos.jsp
    (remove spaces)

Hope that helps.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    I read how to do this via the web somewhere in here:

navigate to the following on your Pre, save page in launcher:

(remove spaces)

Hope that helps.
    I can get Skype on imo.im. I want a native app that can run mainly chat, but is capable of maybe VoIP calls over WiFi.
    Probably not for a long time to be truthful. Even if one was made, it would be pretty basic and lackluster in UI design.

When I read the news of the Skykit, I was like... "Oh great, this isn't going on WebOS." I know it sounds pessimistic, but thats just how I feel about apps on WebOS. Everything, but apps on WebOS is there.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Is this in the works? We all really need it. They have it for other platforms..not sure why we don't have it...Any plans for it in the near future?
    i believe the microphone API is still restricted... and supposedly will be available in fall... I don't know, something like that... :\
    Cingular 3125 --> Samsung Instink! --> Palm Pre --> ???
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    Is this in the works? We all really need it. They have it for other platforms..not sure why we don't have it...Any plans for it in the near future?
    Been discussed too many times...hit up search and you'll find a reoccuring reply of no microphone APIs from Palm. Wait for the fall when these and other APIs will be released.
  10.    #10  
    http://forums.precentral.net/general...ble-webos.html

Any mic APIs, but I want a native Skype app, even if it only has Chat.
    <<Thread Merged and Renamed>>
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 06/23/2010 at 05:23 PM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I agree with the comments about just being happy with text chatting. I've tried other options like imo and IM+ but neither work for group chats. It splits them into individual IMs that are confusing.
    Last edited by risigm; 07/11/2010 at 01:11 AM.
    If the chat API is available then it is very possible that Skype chat can be easily added to WebOS with the current OS.
    thanks jdod that does work. Now I wonder if someone could get the server address so that someone can make a skype chat patch like there is for facebook. http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-...hat-patch.html How does one find the ip address that skype uses for chat?