1.    #1  
    My palm pre is modified to squeeze every last bit of performance out of it that I can. I have a few friends with Pre's and they are always amazed at how much faster/smoother mine is than theirs and then they inevitably ask me how they can make theirs run like mine. I felt that I would make this post to tell the masses how to do it. Much of this knowledge is already out there and I am not doing anything new or groundbreaking here. Hardcore homebrewers will likely already have some of (if not all of) these configurations done. If you have any additions let me know.

This guide is going to be written to the lowest common denominator and as such should be able to be followed by someone with no knowledge about homebrew.

STEP ONE: Get required software

Your first step is to install Preware, this will be used to install some applications and modifications that will be used in this guide.

You can view the official install procedure for preware by going to the official preware website (Preware) and clicking on the big Preware Install Guides button.

The stock preware install comes with the Kernels feed installed so you already have access to the Kernel that we will be using. You will also already have access to the program that we will be using to control it.

Launch Preware, it will download information from a WebOS Internals server about what apps, patches and such are available.

Once that finishes, at the main screen of Preware type in "Govnah" without the quotes and press enter. You will see results come up, tap on the one named Govnah. At the bottom click on the Install button. Wait until the install finishes.

After that is done tap the OK button and use the back gesture to return to the main Preware screen. Type in "UberKernel" (again without quotes) and press enter. Tap the result for UberKernel, then tap install. This install will take a while. It downloads the new kernel, does several safety checks, backs up the original kernel, more safety checks, installs the new kernel, more safety checks. The WebOS Internals folks have put alot of time and effort into making these installs as safe as they possibly can. Please to not play with your phone though while this install is going on just to be safe.

After the kernel install is done, it will prompt you to reboot your phone, do it. Seriously, let it restart... a full restart, not just Luna.

After your phone reboots you now have an aftermarket kernel, and a program to control it. At this point your phone is not yet overclocked... By default this kernel runs completely stock. Sorry Pixi users but overclocking for you guys isn't possible (yet!), but read on, you can still benefit from the compcache configuration.

STEP TWO: Overclock (read the warning)

First, the best bang for your buck will be overclocking your phone. While this has shown to be relatively safe, there is always a risk involved. I have never had a problem on my phone with it, I have never heard of anyone's phone breaking from this. There is a risk here and the standard disclaimer applies. Here is the warning from WebOS Internals about the kernel that I will be recommending.

Warning:

This application is in constant development and testing. It should not be considered a finished product. Please note that usage of this package is very likely to void your warranty if things go wrong. Please, do not contact your carrier or Palm for support for damage resulting from this package.

WebOS Internals provides this program as is without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of this program is with you. Should this program prove defective, you assume the cost of all necessary servicing, repair or correction. In no event will WebOS Internals or any other party be liable to you for damages, including any general, special, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use or inability to use this program (including but not limited to loss of data or data being rendered inaccurate or losses sustained by you or third parties or a failure of this program to operate with any other programs).
    Launch Govnah like any other app. Accept the changelog (if needed). Tap the top where it says PROFILE with Palm Default. Select the Screenstate 500/800 profile. This will run your phone at 800 MHz when the screen is on (when you are using the phone) and at the stock 500 MHz when the screen is off. This gives a good balance between performance when you need it and battery savings when you don't.

STEP THREE: Enable compcache

Now we will enable compcache. This is basically a method of compressing your ram and many people have had great results with it. In she same screen in Govnah, toggle compcache to on (now that was easy.... wasn't it). If you have a Sptint Pre/Pixi leave it at 16 or 24MB, if you have a plus model then try 24 or 32MB.

You can close Govnah now.

STEP FOUR: Reduce Logging

I can only confirm this step to work on a Sprint Pre, sometimes dialer hash codes are different from carrier to carrier, but it is worth a try no matter what your carrier is.

open your phone dialer and type in ##LOGS# (##5647#). This will open up the Palm log manager. Click on the Change logging Levels button. Wait for the page to load. Click Set Logging to Minimal and click OK. This will reduce alot of the work that go's on in the background.

One word of caution. Doing this will make the logs much less useful and if you have a problem and Palm/your carrier requests that you send them logs, they may not be able to get anything useful out of them. If you have an issue where you think they may request logs, you can first go back into the ##LOGS# window, go back to Change Logging levels screen and tap on Restore Base Profile. Then replicate your problem again... this should ensure that any information they require will be in the log files.
    Last edited by cryptk; 07/02/2010 at 11:36 PM.
    Know your Webos-Internals members:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/WhoIsWho
    Step 3: Delete all of your Call Logs, Google Maps History and Web Browser History/Cache/Cookies.

This also seems to speed up the phone. I wish a developer would make an app that "cleaned up" the Pre, ie: every day or week delete history and logs.

Step 4: Restart your phone daily with Preset Reset

This is a homebrew app that allows you to set a time to restart your phone. Have it restart your Pre daily. This way any memory leaks will be cleared out.

Step 5: Install JsTop and have it auto Collect Garbage.

JSTop is another homebrew app that basically collects memory leaks within the phone. You can set it to automatically manage the memory in the settings (in the top left menu)
  3.    #3  
    I was aiming more at things that don't require constant input on the part of the user, but those are all great additions... I will add Preset Reset into the main post once I have time to go through and type out how to set it up in 'newbie terms'.

Thanks for the input!
    Know your Webos-Internals members:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/WhoIsWho
    JStop doesnt require constant input it runs in the background automatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    It has the potential to slow down the device though, as it has to sift throw all of the javascript and see what can be thrown away.
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    If you're overclock jstop isn't necessary.
    preset reset is great. I have mine set to 5:30 in the morning,an hour before I get up. My pre resets everyday without any inconvinence to me.