Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    So, I'm just wandering why Palm didn't translate WebOS to Portuguese, since it is the 7th most spoken language, with between 205 and 230 million natives.

    Dear Palm, if you see this, think about it.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by glorifiedg View Post
    So, I'm just wandering why Palm didn't translate WebOS to Portuguese, since it is the 7th most spoken language, with between 205 and 230 million natives.

    Dear Palm, if you see this, think about it.
    I'm guessing it's probably because they don't sell Pres or Pixis in a country where Portugese is the main language.
  3. #3  
    It used to be FIGS+BP. And that's not PT.
    Nowadays, they only spend money on Tier 1 languages.
  4. #4  
    Chinese!Chinese!When will the Chinese come?
  5. #5  
    they stopped at the top 6. maybe in 2.0?
  6. #6  
    Yes, Chinese, Punjabi and Russian should be there...
  7.    #7  
    Don't make fool of yourself man.

    Portuguese is one of the languages included in EURO7 software.

    "I'm guessing it's probably because they don't sell Pres or Pixis in a country where Portugese is the main language. "

    You're guessing wrong, probably. To sell it Brazil, Portugal, Angola, Mozambique, Cape Vert, etc, you have to make that language available otherwise the carriers wont sell that phone. The translation is the first step to globalize the phone.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by glorifiedg View Post
    Don't make fool of yourself man.

    Portuguese is one of the languages included in EURO7 software.

    "I'm guessing it's probably because they don't sell Pres or Pixis in a country where Portugese is the main language. "

    You're guessing wrong, probably. To sell it Brazil, Portugal, Angola, Mozambique, Cape Vert, etc, you have to make that language available otherwise the carriers wont sell that phone. The translation is the first step to globalize the phone.
    I'm sure it is on their to-do list. If you want to request it, then go here: Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I'm sure it is on their to-do list. If you want to request it, then go here: Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    Nice!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by glorifiedg View Post
    Don't make fool of yourself man.

    Portuguese is one of the languages included in EURO7 software.

    "I'm guessing it's probably because they don't sell Pres or Pixis in a country where Portugese is the main language. "

    You're guessing wrong, probably. To sell it Brazil, Portugal, Angola, Mozambique, Cape Vert, etc, you have to make that language available otherwise the carriers wont sell that phone. The translation is the first step to globalize the phone.
    Yes but if you haven't noticed they don't yet sell any Pre's or Pixi's in those countries, so your point is redundant at this time.

    I was not making a fool of you, just pointingn out the obvious reason for why Palm would not implement Portugese.
    The languages that Palm uses are English, French, German, Spanish and Italian and all are important in at least one of the official countries.
    Last edited by pip smith; 06/19/2010 at 01:43 PM.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Italian? I guess BP/PT would make at least as much sense since Italy is not a launch country?
    Or did I completely miss that launch party?
    No you didn't miss anything, I questioned it myself.
    There was only three reasons I could think of, either someone has a soft spot for Italian.
    Or
    In the 2000 U.S. Census, Italian Americans constituted the fifth largest ancestry group in America with about 15.6 million people, 5.6% of the total U.S. population.[10] Sicilian Americans are a subset of numerous Americans of regional Italian ancestries. As of 2006, the U.S. Census estimated the Italian-American population at 17.8 million persons, or 6% of the population,[11][12] constituting a 14% increase over the six year period. However, the U.S. Census Bureau has not provided an explanation for the increase.
    Source= Italian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I'm guessing Italian could be counted as an important language in America.

    Or finally, Palm planned to make Italy one of their launch countries but for some reason it never went ahead.
  12. #12  
    Italian is not available on Sprint's Pre, only English and Spanish.
  13. #13  
    Maybe a motivated developer could investigate how language selection is done. Obviously the language specific folder(s) would have to be duplicated and translated. The main question is, how is a new language selection incorporated.

Posting Permissions