Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Hey community,

I've been getting a pretty consistent crash on reboot (happens when the system is shutting down). It's not *every* time, but I'd call it 7 out of 10 times. When I reboot (or shut down), the grey spinny thing (love those technical terms) on the black background comes up, but reasonably quickly stops spinning (say, within 10 seconds). When it happens, it's permanent. That is to say, at night, I've plugged my phone in, started a reboot, and gone to bed. 8-9 hours later, I come back to a frozen spinny thing. I have to remove the battery to recover.

I do run a number of patches, including uber-kernel/govnah (LOVE this, btw). However, this was a problem before I installed these. Here are the rest of my patches:

4x4 icons v4 no arrows plus more
    battery icon & percent
    call duration in call log
    confirm email delete
    Device menu megamix
    enter key for new line (in SMS)
    SMS vibrate to 1.5 seconds
    Unthrottle download manager
    Email vibrate to 1.5 seconds
    video camera flashlight

I guess what I'm asking is two-fold:

1) Am I doing anything patch-wise, that one of you gracious readers recognizes as a problem? and

2) Is there a log file I can peruse to try and determine the service/program that's crashing the phone because it's being asked to stop? I'm a linux novice. Here are some indicators for my skill level: ssh is working on my phone with password protected keys (quite well), I can't really script beyond the basics, I can get around with some basic CLI commands, I'm comfortable with a little vi yank & put, I don't know EMACS... hope that's enough.

Can someone more knowledgeable than me, point me in the right direction to start troubleshooting?

Thanks much.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Anyone else having this problem?
    I would guess that the webOS doctor would be the best way to fix the problem.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I have the same problem except on warthog kernel. I'm just living with having to pull the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettca1 View Post
    Hey community,

I've been getting a pretty consistent crash on reboot (happens when the system is shutting down). It's not *every* time, but I'd call it 7 out of 10 times. When I reboot (or shut down), the grey spinny thing (love those technical terms) on the black background comes up, but reasonably quickly stops spinning (say, within 10 seconds). When it happens, it's permanent. That is to say, at night, I've plugged my phone in, started a reboot, and gone to bed. 8-9 hours later, I come back to a frozen spinny thing. I have to remove the battery to recover.

I do run a number of patches, including uber-kernel/govnah (LOVE this, btw). However, this was a problem before I installed these. Here are the rest of my patches:

4x4 icons v4 no arrows plus more
    battery icon & percent
    call duration in call log
    confirm email delete
    Device menu megamix
    enter key for new line (in SMS)
    SMS vibrate to 1.5 seconds
    Unthrottle download manager
    Email vibrate to 1.5 seconds
    video camera flashlight

I guess what I'm asking is two-fold:

1) Am I doing anything patch-wise, that one of you gracious readers recognizes as a problem? and

2) Is there a log file I can peruse to try and determine the service/program that's crashing the phone because it's being asked to stop? I'm a linux novice. Here are some indicators for my skill level: ssh is working on my phone with password protected keys (quite well), I can't really script beyond the basics, I can get around with some basic CLI commands, I'm comfortable with a little vi yank & put, I don't know EMACS... hope that's enough.

Can someone more knowledgeable than me, point me in the right direction to start troubleshooting?

Thanks much.
    None of those patches should be causing the issue, and as you said the problem predates Uberkernel and Govnah - I would recommend running the WebOS Repair Utility - it might pick up on an altered or corrupt file that might be causing this issue and it saves you having to do a full doctor. If you run it with compatibility mode ON then your patches etc will be preserved (if protected via AUPT).

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ty-v2-1-a.html