1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Here is some more info, on HP buying webOS and Phoenix Technologies' HyperSpace. It touches on the subject of webOS, possibly being a big step away form MS. Is it possible that, this gives HP leverage for negotiating with MS, for better licensing prices?

I for one, am very intrigued about the possibility of combining webOS & HyperSpace. From what I have read on this site, it is quite possible to combine both of them into a usable format.

Not yet being eligible for a Pre, I am forced to parrot what I read on this site. It is my understanding, that webOS is a little slow upon powering up. Therefore, the combination of the two products, would make a great deal of sense. It could be used for the versions of Pre down the road, as well as, tablet and other computers.

Enjoy the article.

Take care,

Jay

HP Buys Operating Systems; A Move Away From Windows?
    By Gabriel Perna, Monday, June 14, 2010 1:00 PM EDT

Print Article - IBTIMES.com: International Business News, Financial News, Market News, Politics, Forex, Commodities - Internat

HP's acquisition of Phoenix Technologies' HyperSpace could put its long-standing relationship with Windows into question, analysts say.

The acquisition of Phoenix Technologies' HyperSpace assets by HP for what amounts to pennies is nothing to scoff at. Phoenix Technologies' HyperSpace is a smaller version of Linux OS which allows users to search the web, check emails and view images instantly.

Analysts say the acquisition, which will close this month, coupled with the recent $1.2 billion attainment of Palm, likely signifies HP's move to developing its own open-sourced, instantaneous operating system for a line of netbooks as well as the Slate, its version of the tablet computer.

"I think we're seeing HP assemble the pieces they need to put together for a next generation series of netbooks and tablet computers," Charles King, Principal Analyst at Pund-IT said. "Rapid data seems to be a critical point for these new devices. The instant on technology that Phoenix offered could be a critical piece of that."

The biggest question is where these acquisitions might leave Microsoft's Windows. Back when the Slate debuted at the Consumer Electronics Show, the test version ran on Windows OS. However, with the Palm and HyperSpace acquisitions, Microsoft's OS could be displaced for Palm or Linux.

According to King, HP killed the initial version of the Slate because the Windows OS required too much power. In order to compete against the iPhone OS, which Apple's iPad runs on, HP needed a less energy-intensive smartphone operating system.

"The biggest slap that HP gave to Microsoft on this is they said, we're not going to put Windows 7 on our tablet, we're going with Palm," Laura Didio, Principal Analyst of Information Technology Intelligence Corp, said. "I think from a pure business standpoint, at this point and time, that's a mistake. Windows 7 has much more of an install base and is more established than Palm."

King disagrees with Didio's assertion that HP made an error in not sticking with Windows. "HP's only other choices were to stick with Microsoft Windows 7 - which has had no luck on smartphones - or move to Android, which is what everyone else is doing. Yes, Palm has seen better days but it gives HP a level of autonomy and self determination that they couldn't have had with any other product," King said.

Both analysts agree because HP and Windows are large companies, they will continue to collaborate in other areas. The two companies have a long-standing partnership through the Wintel alliance dating back to the 1980s. The alliance was the conglomeration of all computer manufacturers who used Windows OS along with Intel processors.

"I can imagine there were a lot of unhappy campers at Microsoft when the HP-Palm deal was announced," King said. "But they are all grown ups, they can't be perfectly aligned in every strategy."

Meanwhile, analysts such as Didio, say HP needs more Palm and HyperSpace acquisitions to compete in the tablet space against Apple and others. "The thing with Palm was a surprise, but this was a logical follow on. They'll need more though. What bears watching here is what other acquisitions they make in coming months," Didio said.

HP declined to comment on its intentions for HyperSpace.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2.    #2  
    HI all, I am very sorry, I posted a non working link, in the posting just above.

The correct link is:

HP Buys Operating Systems; A Move Away From Windows? - International Business Times

Take care & I am so sorry to inconvenience any of you.

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    This is interesting. I would love to see what happens next. Thx for the post bud!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pobthemaster10 View Post
    This is interesting. I would love to see what happens next. Thx for the post bud!
    Hi you are welcome. I feel it has GREAT possibilities! Take care, Jay
    theyve got to if they wanna compete with Google
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    theyve got to if they wanna compete with Google
    Untrue: Chrome OS build internals confirm Acer, Dell, and HP hardware coming? -- Engadget

HP is planning to use Google.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Untrue: [url= OS build internals confirm Acer, Dell, and HP hardware coming? -- Engadget[/url]

HP is planning to use Google.
    This doesnt prove that hp will launch hardware with chromeOS, just shows they have tested it, that could be from a month or two ago before the palm buyout was serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    for how long? oh, you dont have a clue...got it
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Can you say: "WebOS startup in 5 seconds!"???

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    lol i think they just bought it so the web os printers will boot quicker, but as a side effect so will our phones
  11.    #11  
    HI all,

This article gives the clearest picture so far, as what to expect when Phoenix's software and webOS are combined.

It gives a fairly deep explanation of each of the program s that HP just bought.

There also is a possibility this will help with battery life, (I have highlighted the portion at the end, that I am referring to).

Take care, Jay

Virtually in the Palm of HP’s Hand
    Written by Rakesh Dogra, Monday, 14 June 2010 18:41

Virtually in the Palm of HP‚€™s Hand

Earlier this year, HP announced plans to acquire Palm, the slightly-in–trouble smartphone vendor. This $1.2 billion acquisition will give HP a more powerful role in the smartphone market by combining its own global presence and financial muscle with Palm’s webOS platform. The acquisition will also give HP a presence in the connected mobile device industry. As Tom Bradley, executive vice president of HP’s Personal Systems group, puts it, the company pegs a place for itself in a $100 billion smartphone market, and it wants to cash in on the potential of applying Palm’s technologies and assets to “additional connected mobile form factors” like tablet PCs and notebooks.

The research company IDC foresees easy movement of the Palm WebOS to tablet PCs, a market that has become more interesting thanks to the initial success of Apple's iPad. IDC predicts the tablet market to touch 50 million units by the year 2014.

In a move that dovetails neatly with the Palm plans, HP is moving to acquire virtualization technologies from Phoenix Technologies. This transaction is due to be completed by the end of June. Phoenix was founded in 1979 and since then has been at the forefront of innovation. Their original BIOS, or basic input-output system, helped launch the PC industry, and even today, the firm’s strengths lie in developing, designing, and supporting core system software like Embedded BIOS and SecureCore. Phoenix is selling its HyperCore, Phoenix Flip, and HyperSpace technologies to HP for $12 million. So what are the strengths that HP will build by bringing these three technologies on board? With the addition of the PalmOS technology, HP has an entry into the market for new mobile devices. The company has strong ambitions of delivering its own VDI platform, and this acquisition will speed its time to market.

The technologies from Phoenix offer HP several specific advantages. Phoenix Flip is a useful tool for a customer having different laptops for personal and official use with very strict compartmentalization between the two. The user could configure just one laptop with two different virtual screens and could run the two operating environments on that single laptop. HyperCore, an embedded Xen-based hypervisor, delivers optimum file management and sharing systems between two different operating systems on one device. It enables HyperSpace to run specialized core services alongside Windows.

HyperSpace, a Linux-based OS, provides mobile devices with "instant on" capability. This instant boot feature is a boon for devices like tablets and notebooks because it allows users to avoid having to wait a long time for Windows to start playing music or movies. It also allows surfers to multitask with speed and ease. A user can switch between surfing the web, checking email, and scanning digital images within just a few seconds of switching on a PC, netbook, or laptop. This feature contrasts with Windows OS, which can take up to 30 seconds to boot. The reputation of HyperSpace is rather good, and the technology allows the virtualization functions of various Intel processors to run simultaneously with the main operating system and not merely as an alternative.

For HP, this acquisition adds more muscle to its already bulky Linux assets. The company also offers quick-boot software called QuickWeb in its own line of Mini netbooks and Pavilion laptops. Phoenix's move to sell of three of its technologies also makes business sense, as the company is now planning to intensify its focus on its roots: the BIOS core system areas. Phoenix will return to their CSS, or Core Systems Software, business. As Tom Lacey, the company's President and CEO, stated, “we are very pleased that HP has agreed to acquire these assets, given their rich history of innovation and product differentiation.”

Phoenix has deepened its commitment to go back to its roots with the sale of its FailSafe, Freeze, and other non-core assets earlier this year. This sale was the company’s first major move to bolster its decision to shift back to core business areas. The second move is the deal with HP. Phoenix also started a strategic partnership with Samsung in October 2009 to give the latter’s laptops instant on-off capabilities and longer battery life.
  12.    #12  
    Hi all,

Yet even more info:

Take care, Jay

HP bringing instant-on Linux capabilities in-house
    By Ryan Paul | Last updated 4 days ago

HP bringing instant-on Linux capabilities in-house

HP has reached an agreement with BIOS-maker Phoenix Technologies to acquire HyperSpace, an instant-on Linux platform that runs in a lightweight hypervisor integrated into the BIOS. The two companies plan to complete the $12 million deal by the end of the month.

The HyperSpace platform is designed to be used on conventional PCs alongside the Windows operating system, making it possible for users to get quick access to Internet and e-mail without having to fully boot the computer. It supports both x86 and ARM processors, but it has some additional capabilities that are enabled when it is running on a system with Intel's virtualization extensions. For example, it can run at the same time as Windows, allowing users to switch between the two operating systems.

Adoption of instant-on Linux platforms is growing rapidly as hardware vendors increasingly embrace the technology. Other key players in the market include DeviceVM, maker of the popular SplashTop environment; and Canonical, which recently announced an instant-on variant of Ubuntu that will ship with the company's new Unity shell. Google has indicated that Chrome OS could also potentially be a contender in the instant-on market.

HP has not disclosed the reasons for its acquisition of HyperSpace, but there are several possibilities. HP already ships a SplashTop-based instant-on system called QuickWeb on some of its high-end notebooks. Acquiring its own solution could allow HP to roll out a highly customized instant-on Linux environment across a broader selection of its hardware lineup.

A more intriguing possibility is that HP could be planning to use Hyperspace with webOS. The ability to run webOS alongside Windows on HP notebooks would be a valuable differentiator. An Atom-based tablet that can seamlessly run both webOS and Windows 7 might also be a compelling product.

Although HP hasn't yet fully revealed how it plans to use the technology, its acquisition of Palm and HyperSpace reflect a very strong commitment to the open source Linux operating system.
    Thanks Jay. You're like our very own WebOS reporter. (Heck, you should consider writing for the front page esp. in light of the slower news.)

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Thanks Jay. You're like our very own WebOS reporter. (Heck, you should consider writing for the front page esp. in light of the slower news.)

Hi and thank you! Take care, Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post

Yes I think you need your member title changed to Forum News Reporter, or something to that effect.
  16.    #16  
    LOL!!!! hahaha! Thanks all, take care, Jay