Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    My girlfriend and I each have a Pre and I'd like to install some tracking software for security purposes in case they're lost or stolen like Where Is My Pre but free. What's the best one? I can't seen to find any on the forums.
    There isn't a free version currently
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    There isn't a free version currently
    That's strange considering this community. There isn't a programmer that thinks it's important enough to be standard on our Pres?
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nirv View Post
    That's strange considering this community. There isn't a programmer that thinks it's important enough to be standard on our Pres?
    I think there are programmers who think this is important, but they also want just compensation for doing the work.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    there's a thread I started about a way to do this... it's very do it yourself, but you could track your girl... uhhh... track your phone if stolen without anyone ever knowing.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    there's a thread I started about a way to do this... it's very do it yourself, but you could track your girl... uhhh... track your phone if stolen without anyone ever knowing.
    haha I don't need to track my girlfriend. That's not the case. I really don't like thieves and this is a pretty good defense against it.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    I read your posts and I'm in the exact same boat as you. Now only if there were a tutorial or installable through Preware. Dyndns, auto post loc on shutdown/startup and invisible. That's probably the best method.
    Why not just pay the $1 a month? Is $0.003 a day too expensive for a useful feature?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Why not just pay the $1 a month? Is $0.003 a day too expensive for a useful feature?
    $1 for who? Is that Where's My Pre? I heard some complaints about lack of support lately...
    I think he means the Srint Family Tracker service... which, if I'm not mistaken would rely on the GPS being turned on.

I installed Lighty, the DDNS updater, and SSH all through Preware (Optware Feed)... the configuration is not that difficult and there is an example of the Google Map code on the webOS Internals site.
    You could probably get a chip to put in her ankle -- I mean your phone.. Like those ones for lost pets.
    Quote Originally Posted by nirv View Post
    $1 for who? Is that Where's My Pre? I heard some complaints about lack of support lately...
    'Where is my Pre' charges $1 a month for the service. The app is free.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Where's My Pre rely on a program running and/or having the GPS turned on? I normally leave my GPS off and also am not a big fan of having programs running in the background unless they are extremely lite on their resource usage. I'm assuming Where's My Pre starts automatically on boot or it would be totally useless.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    I think this is what you're looking for.

How to Set Up Google GPS Tracking on your Palm Pre! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog!

Here’s how you can setup a “website” on your Palm Pre and secretly track your Palm Pre, whereever it is in “real-time”.
    here's another possible alternative (dont know how discrete or resource-intensive it is though): http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ease-beta.html