Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, something cool that I completely forgot about but was showcased as CES 2009 with the Palm Pre:

1) Open a bunch of cards at once.

2) Click just below them to make them tiny

3) Now click and hold one. It will turn into a "ghost" and you can rearrange it in the list of cards. Put it at the far left, or right, or inbetween other cards.

This is cool, but like, im just asking.... WHY?

Why would anyone ever need to rearrange their cards?

What benefit would this ever have?

Im sure it was something that was easy for Palm to code so they were like "why not".

But, im just asking, does anyone ever rearrange their cards...and why?
    didn't even realize you could do that. Cool. If you're copy/pasting between 2 cards but you don't want to close the card between them... Stuff like that.
    Once in a while I'll rearrange cards if I have a few open. I will keep my email app and other work-related apps on one side and non-work stuff to the other side. On a busy day it just makes if faster for me to move between 'work' cards if the are all grouped together.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    if you have a lot of cards open and you need to switch back and forth, i guess it would save some time.
    It's one of my favorite features! I have a few apps that I keep open almost all the time. I lile to keep them in a certain order. If I'm switching back and forth between a lot between two apps, maybe copy/paste, I like to keep them together. If I have a few different web pages open, I like to arrange them.

When I'm using my iTouch, it's really fristrating. I find myself trying to move the different web pages around.

The ability to arrange the cards really enhances the user experience for me.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I do this all the time. With the flat gesture area on the Pre Plus I use the advanced gesture area to slide back and forth much faster.
    Since I never keep a card open longer than I have to (whats the point of leaving it up and running?), this is just silly to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    Since I never keep a card open longer than I have to (whats the point of leaving it up and running?), this is just silly to me.
    Actually, others would say closing an app all the time is silly too One of the biggest features of webOS is the ability to multitask, and keeping the applications open in card-view is what it's all about. Keeping an app open in card-view doesn't draw any more power, and allows faster access to an app without having to load it every time. I keep my email app open and minimized all the time and can pull it up instantaneously with this feature. One of the best features of webOS and one that definitely separates it from the rest of the OS's out there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    To each his own.
    I used to rearrange them all the time when I first got the phone. However, since when you tap on a notification, it moves the card to the end of the 'stack', it does end up being pretty useless. If it brought you to the already open card while maintaining its position, that'd make a whole lot more sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I used to rearrange them all the time when I first got the phone. However, since when you tap on a notification, it moves the card to the end of the 'stack', it does end up being pretty useless. If it brought you to the already open card while maintaining its position, that'd make a whole lot more sense.
    I agree.

I still find myself rearranging the cards occasionally for copy/paste or for quick access with the advance gestures between specific apps.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I use it to group my applications if driving my GPS, Pandora, and weather are at the front with email and txt at the other end of the bookend and other apps in between. It is not a deal breaker for the OS but it is nice since you can multi task to keep an order to it.
    I use it to keep my apps in a certain order I have gotten accustomed to. It also useful to group certain apps together, for example I like keeping Facebook and Tweed together.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I like keeping my text conversations to the right of whatever I'm doing, and have music to the left so I always know where they are. They're always there whether I'm reading engadget, browsing facebook, this site, or playing a game.
    I constantly have to rearrange cards for this, so I still use it.
    Palm Pre. Sprint.

View My Mockup!
    I was totally unaware of this feature.....another reason I love these forums....now i'm gonna use it just cause i can....lol
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    I use this quite often... mostly because I also use the "advanced" gesture to switch between Apps without going to card view.

Moving the cards around lest me ensure I can go back and forth between the right apps with one full swipe left or right.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    I use it all the time. I pull up a work email, switch to another app (messaging perhaps) and quote what was in there to a co-worker rather than sending a completely new reply or forward.
    Also for directions or phone numbers on one card side-by-side with another app like email or texting or google maps.
    Great feature!
    IDK why it is needed on a phone, I've used it maybe 2 or 3 times. I do however love it in Win 7... maybe not rearranging "cards" but you can change the position of open apps on the task bar at the bottom.
    I make them small when I want to take a look at my background image, which refreshes daily. I rearrange my cards every now and then. I wish the cards would stay in their spot after a notification comes through. Email and Messaging is always going to the back and it bugs me!
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    I use it all the time, especially for grabbing links and text to paste in TweetMe or Twee
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast