Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    one of my fave features when I'm copying and pasting things. I try my best to keep my txt next to any card I have open. Or my browser next to my twee so I can tweet faster about what I'm reading
    I use it when I'm copying info from an email to a note or a from a web page or when i'm texting my friends phone numbers..

(unrelated: uh, why can't i click "Orange + click" and copy a phone number from a contact. seriously. would love that.. sending vcfs is f'ing USELESS in sms..)
    I like the feature. However, what's keeping me from using it more often is that if I launch an app that already has a card open, it moves that card to the front of the "stack". It'd be so much nicer if cards didn't move unless you specifically asked it to. Almost defeats the purpose of organizing your cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    So, something cool that I completely forgot about but was showcased as CES 2009 with the Palm Pre:

1) Open a bunch of cards at once.

2) Click just below them to make them tiny

3) Now click and hold one. It will turn into a "ghost" and you can rearrange it in the list of cards. Put it at the far left, or right, or inbetween other cards.

This is cool, but like, im just asking.... WHY?

Why would anyone ever need to rearrange their cards?

What benefit would this ever have?

Im sure it was something that was easy for Palm to code so they were like "why not".

But, im just asking, does anyone ever rearrange their cards...and why?
    Because:

I have a large number of apps organized into multiple screens - Eight screens named using Advance Configuration for Launcher patch. If you are enough of a control freak to do this, you will probably want to rearrange the position of your apps, just because.

I will often switch between two apps frequently, say an e-book reader and a note-taking app and want to make sure that they are right next to each other so I can use the full-screen app switch gesture to switch between them rapidly.

I sometimes launch one slow loading app (i.e. Classic) along with several others and it's easier to launch it last and move it to a desired position instead of launching it in the order I want it to appear and have it slow down everything else while it launches.

I will sometimes launch an app which I will rarely look at but want to keep open for a long time like Battery Monitor and want to keep out of the way.
    I tend to run certain cards more or less all the time. I generally rearrange them to keep them in the order that I prefer them in (from left to right):
    1. Battery Monitor
    2. JsTop
    3. Twitter Client (currently TweetMe)
    4. Calendar
    5. Email

This order is sort of automatic for me. If I'm in twitter, I know one to the right is my calendar so I can full swipe from the right and it shows up. But if I'm in Email and I want to get to Battery Monitor, I'm not going to fullswipe there. I'm going to go to cardview, slide over then tap.

I dunno. I just do it that way. I find it irritating that tapping on a notification puts (for example) twitter on the far right. I then have to rearrange it so that i can get it back to where my brain expects it to be.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I use it to keep all the related cards together. If I am loking up stats of two different ballplayers but also have my e-mail open, for instance, I will arrange the football-related cards so that they are side-by-side.
    I use it all the time especially when composing emails. I can get to data on one email a lot easier that way. I love it!
    I used the rearrange function once when i first got my Pre.. haven't used it since o_O
    To be honest, the only time I rearrange cards is when I'm showing off my webOS phone to someone new to the Pre. It's a sexy (but practically useless to me) GUI feature of an amazing mobile OS. It's one more thing the iPhone can't do...
    Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing.
    very rarely i do that.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I use it all the time when I'm driving along with advanced gestures so that I can just switch between cards easiky... especially while usung GPS. Also great when I need to cut and paste.
    I use this feature all the time, for all the reasons stated above. It fits nicely into my little OCD world very nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    I like the feature. However, what's keeping me from using it more often is that if I launch an app that already has a card open, it moves that card to the front of the "stack". It'd be so much nicer if cards didn't move unless you specifically asked it to. Almost defeats the purpose of organizing your cards.
    I very much agree. Especially the text messaging app. To counter it I just keep the apps I'm using the most on the right most side to minimize this.
    I use this like crazy! I LOVE rearranging my cards. It's one of my favorite feature!
    I like to keep web cards all together on the right, with anything else in some sort of systematic order on the left. Really, I don't sort them that much, I just usually open them in the order I want them to be in, and just always leave them open. But, notifications come and change the order, I open an app I don't typically use, and I'll have to arrange them to my liking.

I would get frustrated with my pre if I couldn't change the order. Vista can't change the order of the windows, and that annoys me to no end.
    I think it may be more useful for Pre + owners who can have many cards open constantly and not worry about the TMC problem.

Personally, I would love to be able to have the Pre open cards in a predetermined order so that cards are “always in their right place” even when first opening them. I prefer to keep the “phone” card at the far left, then the contacts card, NY time, web browser, etc, etc, finally the “email” card at the far right.

If a patch could be made so a person could assign a “merit ranking” to each available program, (“Phone” would get a 1, “Contacts” would get a 2, “NY Time” a 3, “Web browser” a 4, etc. etc., “email” would get a very high number so other programs would always open and insert themselves left of the email, etc.) that would be pretty cool.

-Suntan
    I use this all the time. My OCD is sated by the practice...I run 5 apps all the time. In order, from right to left:
    1.) Calendar
    2.) Tasks
    3.) ClearCard (so I can see my nice background images)
    4.) Email
    5.) Messaging

This makes it very easy for me to 'know' where a particular app is, and I rarely wait around for an app to load. I'll add Facebook to this list if I'm using Facebook heavily on a particular day, otherwise I'll kill it every time I'm done using it.

You might notice that I put ClearCard in the middle...when I'm 'done' with a particular task or conversation on the phone, I move back to clearcard before powering off the screen and putting it back in my pocket. That way ClearCard is the main app running. It is in the middle, so moving all the way to the left or all the way to the right is not a long travel.

FWIW.
    Yeah i'm with the others,

I use it all the time because after I get 3+ apps open I feel like certain ones belong in certain places. It's actually nice because when I keep 3 apps open all the time and then search the internet and then email I can place them next to where I need them instead of constantly searching for the right card.

I imagine it wouldn't be useful for those who open two or so apps at a time, or those who rarely switch cards, but for those who do both it's a life-saver (and both practices really make the Pre shine, those who aren't are missing out big-time)
    bump
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    So, something cool that I completely forgot about but was showcased as CES 2009 with the Palm Pre:

1) Open a bunch of cards at once.

2) Click just below them to make them tiny

3) Now click and hold one. It will turn into a "ghost" and you can rearrange it in the list of cards. Put it at the far left, or right, or inbetween other cards.

This is cool, but like, im just asking.... WHY?

Why would anyone ever need to rearrange their cards?

What benefit would this ever have?

Im sure it was something that was easy for Palm to code so they were like "why not".

But, im just asking, does anyone ever rearrange their cards...and why?
    You can skip step two and it will work the same. When you click and hold a card, it will turn to 'ghost' mode.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12