1.    #1  
    HI all,

I don't see this as an issue. HP, needs this to work for them as well as for Palm. I am just posting it, in case there is anyone who would like to discuss it!

Take care, Jay

Will webOS Developers Play with HP?
    By James Kendrick Jun. 11, 2010, 4:27pm CDT

Will webOS Developers Play with HP?

I gave up my Palm Pre a week ago when I upgraded to the HTC EVO 4G. I’m not regretting that move but I admit I miss the Pre. The forced withdrawal from the webOS platform has me nostalgic for the user interface on the Pre; I think webOS is the best interface on smartphones. The impending merger of Palm with HP is no doubt a good thing as HP has made it clear it has big plans for webOS. I expect we’ll see tablets and other devices running the OS before long. The webOS platform has lagged behind Android and others due to the lack of available apps; that’s the primary problem I had with the Pre. Palm has been working hard with app developers to get them producing apps for the platform, but a big question looms — what will happen after the merger?

Palm has enjoyed a long-time relationship with developers; some would call them fanatical about the company. Yet the number of developers making apps for webOS has not produced a high volume of apps to date, even with many pulling for Palm to succeed. The merger with HP is exactly what Palm needed to survive, yet is bound to impact the effort by developers producing apps for the platform.

Even if HP makes a big effort to keep developers working with webOS, there will be uncertainty about the permanence of such an effort. HP does many things, and the webOS work will be just a tiny piece of its efforts. Who knows how long it would continue? Developers must be thinking about that already.

What if HP decides to take on the advancement of webOS itself? It may not care if developers build apps for webOS or not. That’s not as far-fetched as it may sound — the company’s first Linux netbooks had internally developed interface shells that controlled the user experience. It even prevented access to Linux by users. HP could take the same tack with webOS to simply produce its own gadgets totally “by HP.” In that scenario webOS app development wouldn’t be desired, much less pursued by the company.

One thing is certain — webOS developers must be as concerned as can be about the future of the platform for non-HP developers. That alone may cause some to jump to another platform. They must go where the potential money is.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    HP is smarter than this.

They have realized their mistake with the HP-Ubuntu netbooks they created.

They are heavily interested in cloud based services and third party web apps.

They know that third party apps are vital to any sort of web or mobile platform.

Its pretty obvious (android, iOS) and anyone who wouldn't realize this is a complete *****.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    HP is smarter than this.

They have realized their mistake with the HP-Ubuntu netbooks they created.

They are heavily interested in cloud based services and third party web apps.

They know that third party apps are vital to any sort of web or mobile platform.

Its pretty obvious (android, iOS) and anyone who wouldn't realize this is a complete *****.
    I AGREE WITH YOU, 101%! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I certainly hope they are good to developers. They would have to be insane to change those policies.
    Last edited by jeffa00; 06/27/2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Forgot to put reason. Corrected my grammar so I would sound less like an idiot...
  5.    #5  
    Hi all,

I think we will hear and see positive news, shortly we get past the official buyout date of July 01, 2010, which is just days away!

Take care, Jay
    eh, I may have 2 crummy apps, but I'm staying with Palm. One app was something my wife asked me to make and I thought some people might like it. My second app was for a select group of people. The second has sold far better than I evere expected and I've been asked to port it to iphone. I thought about it. Started to sign up with Apple, got ****ed about the no porting to or from Apple and decided to opt out of ANY apphole developments. Still debating an android app, but still gonna be Pre maily. I love this phone.
    I think that apps are secondary to the whole story. Completeness of the OS is top priority.

Basic features missing in WebOS must come at a record pace - so that you know that when you buy a WebOS device, you get everything you need for work or entertainment from day one.

If your Pre was 'perfect' from day 1 via means of having complete Document Editing, Flash, Voice commands, HD video & call recording, GPS Nav (built-in worldwide, not carrier specific), speedy & responsive UI...and came with good hardware quality....wouldn't you buy it without blinking?

The apps would bring a lot of extended functionality, but WebOS would still be complete without them...so Palm should hurry up!
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I'm a n00b WebOS developer who just released his first app (see my signature if you want to check it out), but I do plan to stick with Palm.

The reason I got a Pre Plus was so I could develop for it.

The app market place for the iPhone is THOROUGHLY saturated. Doesn't matter what I dream up, there's an app for that... probably 50 apps for that in their catalog right now. Plus I'd have to buy a Mac (or cobble together a "hackintosh" of dubious reliability) to even begin to try to develop for it.

Android has fewer apps, but still quit a lot and no one seems to want to pay for apps on Android.

Palm has relatively few apps, and people seem willing to pay for apps on the Palm.

As a developer who enjoys eating and living in-doors, it is important for me to find an audience who is willing to pay...

I do plan to bring out versions for Android and Windows Phone 7 when it comes out, but I definitely plan to keep Palm in the mix.
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    Supply vs. Demand will ALWAYS control any market!

Right now, demand for apps among WebOS users is high - a key app like a mobile office suite would clean up in earnings, and could probably demand a premium price, until compeition arrives.

If only 10% of the 3 million+ WebOS users bought that application, at $10, that's a $3,000,000 revenue pickup - I dare say none of them would have any problems with that potential, or even 1/4 of that...

As soon as someone from the Apple side wakes up and gets the light-bulb going over their head and then takes a day or two and ports one of thier office suites over to WebOS, it will be a race for the rest of them to do so.

And, yes, I agree, the rest of the necessary API need to be in place for things like price scanning, voice recording and analysis, etc... for the really cool apps to be ported.

IMO, of course!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    eh, I may have 2 crummy apps, but I'm staying with Palm. One app was something my wife asked me to make and I thought some people might like it. My second app was for a select group of people. The second has sold far better than I evere expected and I've been asked to port it to iphone. I thought about it. Started to sign up with Apple, got ****ed about the no porting to or from Apple and decided to opt out of ANY apphole developments. Still debating an android app, but still gonna be Pre maily. I love this phone.
    Thanks. There are many of us who love this phone. Keep up the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

Right now, demand for apps among WebOS users is high - a key app like a mobile office suite would clean up in earnings, and could probably demand a premium price, until compeition arrives.

If only 10% of the 3 million+ WebOS users bought that application, at $10, that's a $3,000,000 revenue pickup - I dare say none of them would have any problems with that potential, or even 1/4 of that...

As soon as someone from the Apple side wakes up and gets the light-bulb going over their head and then takes a day or two and ports one of thier office suites over to WebOS, it will be a race for the rest of them to do so.

And, yes, I agree, the rest of the necessary API need to be in place for things like price scanning, voice recording and analysis, etc... for the really cool apps to be ported.

IMO, of course!

I agree. And when the new palm/HP phone comes out (and it will), apps will come roaring in. Much as Apple fans believe that Palm is either dead or dying, i would take issue with that. Of course time will tell, but .... in the meantime i can use either hand to hold my palm and make it work. hehehe. I couldn't resist, this is my 100th post.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

IMO, of course!

It's not as simple as many believe to port an app. If it's a game, the chances of portability is much greater, but to port an iPhone app requires pretty much a complete rewrite.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Even if HP makes a big effort to keep developers working with webOS, there will be uncertainty about the permanence of such an effort. HP does many things, and the webOS work will be just a tiny piece of its efforts.
    This makes absolutely no sense. HP have said forward they plan to be major player in the mobile space. This article is purely speculative and not at all well researched.